[Map] Giant Earth Map

I'd like to avoid North/South/Central in naming, for example, I think I'll use "Dakota" for the Northern Great Plains, and could use physiographic name where possible, but I don't know for the following regions:

Northeast US (grey): shifted border south touch just for aesthetics/practicality mostly - Northeast
Southeast US (black): loses Ohio country but gains southern Georgia - The South
Northwest Mexico (green): extends eastward to gain the rest of arid Northern Mexico - Northern Mexico

"The South" could be "Virginia" or "Carolina" ?

No idea at all for the Northeast, as I'd also like to avoid "New" as in "New England"

"Northern Mexico" could be named from one of the region like "Chihuahua" ?

For the South, I'd say maybe Dixie or Carolinas (plural).

Alternatives for Northeast are all awkward: Atlantic Seaboard, BosWash, and Yankeeland/Yankee Land/Yankeedom/etc.

If you're willing to cheat a bit on the naming, Northern Mexico could be 'El Norte.' Otherwise, I agree that Chihuahua would probably be a good choice.

NE can be named New York. After principal city. Game is treating cities as capitals anyway.

NE can be named New York. After principal city. Game is treating cities as capitals anyway.
The reason I'd like to avoid "New" is that it may seems strange from a Native culture point of view.

For North/South/Central, it's from an exploration point of view, when you don't know yet if there is a similar territory up or down.

Could we use Iroquois naming ?

And there is also British Columbia and Newfoundland...

Well maybe I should not bother too much, it's not like the names will be fixed forever.

So, proposal for Americas territories after Seelingcat redrawing (numbers are the index in the editor)

Code:
                    { 4, "Alaska"},
                    { 5, "Saskatchewan"}, // South Alberta+South Saskatchewan
                    { 6, "British Columbia"},
                    { 7, "Haida Gwaii"}, // Islands West of British Columbia
                    { 8, "Kitlineq"}, // Victoria Island
                    { 9, "Nunavut"},
                    { 10, "Baffin"}, // North Canad Island
                    { 11, "Greenland"},
                    { 12, "Ontario"},
                    { 12, "St. Lawrence"},
                    { 14, "Quebec"},
                    { 15, "Newfoundland"},
                    { 41, "Mexico"},
                    { 45, "Chortis"}, // Central America
                    { 45, "Colombia"},
                    { 46, "Amazonas"},
                    { 47, "Ecuador"},
                    { 49, "Para"}, // North Brazil
                    { 50, "Guyana"},
                    { 51, "Patagonia"}, // South Chile, Argentina
                    { 52, "Altiplano"}, // South Peru / North Chile
                    { 53, "Bolivia"},
                    { 54, "Bahia"},
                    { 55, "Caribbean"},
                    { 56, "Florida"},
                    { 57, "Antilles"},
                    { 58, "Texas"},
                    { 59, "Mississipi"},
                    { 61, "Iroquois"},
                    { 61, "Carolinas"},
                    { 62, "Chihuahua"},
                    { 63, "Great Lakes"},
                    { 64, "Great Plains"},
                    { 65, "Dakota"},
                    { 66, "Oregon"},
                    { 198, "Kenai"}, // South Alaska
                    { 199, "Kazan"}, // North Alberta+North Saskatchewan
                    { 200, "Sahtu"}, // Nothwest Territories
                    { 201, "Labrador"},
                    { 202, "Pampa"},
                    { 203, "Terra Del Fuego"},
                    { 204, "Great Basin"},
                    { 219, "Yucatan"},
                    { 232, "California"},

The reason I'd like to avoid "New" is that it may seems strange from a Native culture point of view.

For North/South/Central, it's from an exploration point of view, when you don't know yet if there is a similar territory up or down.

Could we use Iroquois naming ?
I am already happy to see random naming gone, but, just saying, if we follow this logic about Natives -- Bolivia and Colombia sounds just as strange to them. Geographical names should ring bells for average human player, IMO. Plus game has 2 Wonders based in New York. So anytime a player reading territories after war he or she knows where it is approximately.

Iroquois is fine, but even game doesn't call Native Americans like that.Haudenosaunee ("People of the Longhouse") is the autonym by which the Six Nations refer to themselves. This name is occasionally preferred by scholars of Native American history, who consider "Iroquois" of colonial origin and a derogatory name adopted from their enemies.

I think I've seen another name for the Iroquois (one meaning "league of nation" in native langage), but don't remember it. But there is also the point to have a name that the player can refer too.

Thanks a lot @SeelingCat, Africa, Middle-East and South Asia done, I'm in South-East Asia now.

36: Siam/Thailand - based on geography/linguistics decided to move Laos to this territory
37: Cambodia - gave it the Mekong delta, which historically Khmer territory
38: Vietnam - lost a good chunk of territory but gained a couple tiles in the north
Those would be quite small, similar to South Italy for reference, but still acceptable for the intended use, yet Vietnam would be very stretched/thin here. Not sure how to handle that part, ideas ?

Thanks a lot @SeelingCat, Africa, Middle-East and South Asia done, I'm in South-East Asia now.

Those would be quite small, similar to South Italy for reference, but still acceptable for the intended use, yet Vietnam would be very stretched/thin here. Not sure how to handle that part, ideas ?

This may not be the most popular approach, but based on French Indochina borders Laos should stay with Vietnam, while giving Mekong delta to Khmer/Cambodia is justified. Because Siam is the only East-Asian culture during Industrial Age of European imperialism -- we should go with colonial border approach, while honoring Khmer's core territory. Meaning -- Tonkin+Annam+Laos -- as one territory, Cambodia+Cochinchina another, Siam yet another and Burma on the side. In other words, owning VIetnam+Laos territory or Cambodia+Cochinchina should enable you to unlock French, while Siam should start with it's core.

Last edited:
I think you could split the difference probably and give Cochinchina to Cambodia but give Laos back to Vietnam as a compromise

If everyone agree that we need the 3 territories, then I think your initial proposal will do.

What resource could we place in Cambodia ? (there is Saltpeter in Siam and Mercury in Vietnam)

• Alternate split for Iberia into Portugal/Galicia, Castile, Aragon
I'm not sure about splitting Iberia in strips, maybe a bit of redrawing and use Lusitania, Galicia, Aragon ?

Spoiler :
upload_2021-10-4_0-48-53.png

If everyone agree that we need the 3 territories, then I think your initial proposal will do.

What resource could we place in Cambodia ? (there is Saltpeter in Siam and Mercury in Vietnam)
The Khmer empire focused more on the domestic economy and did not take advantage of the international maritime network. The fact that it unlocks very OP culture should make it attractive enough to occupy. Unlocking cultures gives this map and this game another dimension.

I just have an idea: include/use culture's name in the name of core territory. Or place an asterisk or something, so that human player know which territories unlock cultures without checking with Map editor or your list on forums.

Last edited:

The only things I can find are deposits of Gems, Gold, Coal, and Oil but those all appear to be very recent developments.

I think I've seen another name for the Iroquois (one meaning "league of nation" in native langage), but don't remember it. But there is also the point to have a name that the player can refer too.

Another name (kind of the opposite of New England in terms of geographic coverage) would be the Mid-Atlantic although that's still a directional indicator I suppose... If you were to pick one state name to cover it all I guess I'd say Massachusetts, since it used to control Maine and is sort of in the middle?

I'm not sure about splitting Iberia in strips, maybe a bit of redrawing and use Lusitania, Galicia, Aragon ?

I think this is quite good, although I'd maybe recommend rotating the borders just a bit as attached here to give essentially Andalusia (20 land tiles), Aragon (19), and Castile (20).

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-4_0-48-53.png
    upload_2021-10-4_0-48-53.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
The Khmer empire focused more on the domestic economy and did not take advantage of the international maritime network. The fact that it unlocks very OP culture should make it attractive enough to occupy. Unlocking cultures gives this map and this game another dimension.

I just have an idea: include/use culture's name in the name of core territory. Or place an asterisk or something, so that human player know which territories unlock cultures without checking with Map editor or your list on forums.
thanks.

territory names are in the selection screen now, see my latest post in the mod's thread.

I'll try to also show them on the map without an outpost/city.
Another name (kind of the opposite of New England in terms of geographic coverage) would be the Mid-Atlantic although that's still a directional indicator I suppose... If you were to pick one state name to cover it all I guess I'd say Massachusetts, since it used to control Maine and is sort of in the middle?
I'll use Massachusetts then, better for naming consistency, thanks.

I think this is quite good, although I'd maybe recommend rotating the borders just a bit as attached here to give essentially Andalusia (20 land tiles), Aragon (19), and Castile (20).
Also better, thanks, now, which one should unlock Spain ?

Proposal for Greece, +3 land tiles (+5 total with your territory change) with a redraw of terrain, and Boeotian Cephissus river added.
Spoiler :
upload_2021-10-4_8-1-54.png

Top Bottom