Map Resources Ideas and Discussion

as you say, I'm all for helping get the prehistoric age/ Epic Nomadic Start moving as a mod-mod (to be eventually included) with Jonny Smith, as a side project, as a secondary major focus to the Multi-Maps/Galactic Era.
We could at least collect the ideas together, and work out the details.

This could give everyone something to alternate with when we need a break or can't help.
I propose the group priorities fall as:

1. Multi-Maps/Galactic Era - get the Cosmos in!

2. Epic Nomadic Start / Prehistoric rework (alternate team focus) - Start it EPIC!
- Including the FFH Ice Age receding glacier script,
- Stone Age events(my immediate focus, trying to get it convenient to work with.),
- An awesome beginning game introduction to new players, in the Last minor Ice Age maximum. Tutorial + highlighted epic and eventful start (you are forced to move your ancestral home since a Cave Bear or Saber Tooth tiger has threatened your tribe, etc.)
- breakdown of lithic eras- Neo, paleo, etc.
- introduction game scenario possibilities. prehistoric civilization starting locations based on recent and slight scientific evidence, Pre-flood Black Sea, Clovis Culture, DoggerLand, Lemuria & other land bridges / flooded cultures, new versions of ancient mankind - Homo floresiensis (hobbits), & Homo Denisovan.

3. Beyond that keep making progress on great things like traits/Combat mod, and GeoRealism Climate, as it makes sense, or breakthroughs happen.
We have to keep making progress together.
I don't want to see any of these major things forgotten or neglected.
And I don't want people to drift away get burnt out/fragmented away. GeoRealism is still a big deal to me.

4. C2C Next - As spare and down time allows, we could all help round out the ideas for the design for the next evolution of C2C.
This way we can start the long process of building the future, and keep the foundation of C2C, without throwing out the baby.
Room for where everyone wants to be.

What are your thoughts on this?

In terms of prospecting, would it be possible to automate it if desired? I wouldn't look forward to the micromanagement of moving around workers to prospect different tiles each turn.

The legal placement locations for slot of resources has been expanded, most because they had never been updated for all the new terrains, features, and their combos. That said is there a list out there already of the "seems to never get created" resources, and ones considered rare or difficult and thus should require priority placement?

For me the two that stand out are Titanium (an essential strategic resource) and Diamonds (no reason why they should be the last to be placed).

In terms of prospecting, would it be possible to automate it if desired? I wouldn't look forward to the micromanagement of moving around workers to prospect different tiles each turn.

Well, in any such system the AI has to understand it, and automation is just use of the AI, so yes, automated workers will prospect. If you mean a SPECIFIC automation whereby an automated worker ONLY prospects that takes a little more work, but it shouldn't be at all hard.

Its not recommended to build them all in once city unless you like Fires and Air Pollution.

OK, so you move around all the "main" ore mines, NOW you get these darn smelters??

OK, so you move around all the "main" ore mines, NOW you get these darn smelters??

Ha! :lol: Yup. ;) Its up to you where or not you should build them. On the one hand they unlock the resources needed to build units or enhance shops. On the other hand they produce a lot of pollution and flammability. There is no easy answer, but that's half the fun of the game figuring out what your empire can handle with the resources they have.

While most of the existing placement order values might have to be tweaked depending on the rules/terrains/features changes you've made, there are a few that really stand out, and probably should be changed in concert with the changes you've making (for example, changing the values for Diamonds won't do much unless their out-of-whack placement order is also changed). These are the ones I would suggest:

Guava - Currently has a placement order of 1, which puts it among essential strategic resources, which makes no sense. I'd suggest changing it to 6, alongside other less-important bonus resources.

Guinea Pig - Same as Guava.

Kava - Though it's value is 3, it is basically the same as Guava, and should also be changed to 6.

Titanium - Currently has a value of 6, but this is too high, considering that Titanium is an essential strategic resource (i.e. some modern units can't be built without it). I'd reduce it to 2.

Llama - Currently has a value of 7 (the second highest value currently used). Since Llama does access a few buildings, it should be a bit lower, perhaps 5.

Diamond - Currently has a value of 9, which is the highest value used (i.e. Diamonds are the very last resource the engine tries to place on the map). Personally I think Diamonds should be a bit more important - I'd suggest a value of 5, the same as other 'gem' resources.

I have finally gotten round to looking at this:D and I mostly agree. Much more work is needed because Guinea Pig and Parrots are not appearing on any maps at the moment as far as I can see,

I still don't understand why we need 'guinea pig' as a map resource.

Ok, I guess I'm too modern north American and think about them more as pre-school pet than a food & fur source (though I doubt you get much useful fur by skinning them).

Ok, I guess I'm too modern north American and think about them more as pre-school pet than a food & fur source (though I doubt you get much useful fur by skinning them).

Traditionally they were used as a food source and not pets. In fact some indigenous peoples of South America still eat them.

Cooked Guinea Pig
(Warning! May Be Disturbing to Guinea Pig Lovers)

Traditionally they were used as a food source and not pets. In fact some indigenous peoples of South America still eat them.

Cooked Guinea Pig
(Warning! May Be Disturbing to Guinea Pig Lovers)

Just less than 100 years ago here in the US, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, quail, dove, besides deer supplemented many families table as a source of meat.

JosEPh

Some still do. I have had rabbit and think it is very tasty. I also think they are cute.

Indeed. Strange it works for me to eat rabbits (I had one as a boy) but my wife would never try a guinea pig (she had one as a girl)

As a neighbour of France I also enjoy their frog's legs, grapevine snails
(escargot) and perlwinkles (bigorneau) and to be quite honest I think the pic of the roasted guinea pig you posted looks pretty delicious.

In Japan even jellyfish is fried and I would give it a shot.

The only speciality I would NOT ever taste is the scandinavian rotten fish in cans, it is really disgusting imo, mostly because of the smell.

I think having animosities on food is a luxury thing and they fade a way in no time once they can't be afforded anymore, the pudency is hypocritic.
It's like the ancient chinese nobility who showed that they are so powerful that they don't have to work by not cutting their nails, ever.

Today "we" are better because we don't have to eat "tabu" animals ever. Mass conditioning, collective hypnosis. The conventions on animal "sweetness" and eatability are in its roots post-animistic as if some animals deserved more spririt to respect them - because of what we see in them (better project into them).

The modern animistic conventions themselves are mainly put onto society by the pet loving aristocracy and bourgouisie in past centuries (the pure soul of an animal was much more loveable for them than the sinful soul of a dirty slave), with todays celebreties and rich elites refraining it as some sort of higher mantra for the masses.

I am not against animal rights but the perception should change for the better of humanity. Maybe we all, not only in the east, should eat more insects like locust, more cats and dogs and less beef, if we have to have meat after all until it can be "replicated" by printing.

Some still do. I have had rabbit and think it is very tasty. I also think they are cute.

We used to go hunting just for rabbit, pheasant, and squirrel. We used to have frogs, but they overlaid the marsh area and made condo's:( (heck we used to ice skate there also.):)

The only speciality I would NOT ever taste is the scandinavian rotten fish in cans, it is really disgusting imo, mostly because of the smell.

Oh come on. Don't badmouth surströmming ;) It actually taste pretty good... if you can put a paperclip on your nose or something and eat with the the special bread, butter and mashed potatoes that are supposed to go along with it. And for the love of god, don't ever open a can indoors!

It can't be worse than Durian fruit.

Top Bottom