[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

Ceph you ever noticed any weird issues when using Creation with Teams or on Duel Maps? It seems to ignore civilization preferences in both cases.

We tried a three player game with one of my friends as Lanun and 4 games in a row he didn't start on coast (in fact one game my amurite teammate started on coast and Lanun was landlocked all 5)

There are always issues with duel maps. They create alot of non-standard circumstances. On a duel map there are obviously not many valleys, so if someone is placed first in a valley that is the only one that meets your needs, you end up with the leftovers.

If you often play on duel maps, you might adjust some of the starting plot variables in the script to work a little better in that case. For example, Lanun are set for a low altitude, moderate rainfall start on the coast. If it's ok for Lanun to start on a desert coast, then try to turn down the rainfall contributor.

For some reason, when using Creation.py in Fall Further, jungles never seem to be initializing as Deep Jungles and Wetlands are never created at game start. I tried a little ham-fisted anecdotal testing by starting up a bunch of games as Mazatl with Creation.py and then a bunch of games as Mazatl with the Big and Small map. Every time there was the appropriate jungle/river/grassland combo on Big and Small, there was a scattering of Deep Jungles and Wetlands. To date, both in tests and in regular games, I have never seen a single deep jungle or wetlands in Creation.py.

Am I stupid and this is a known issue? Or just incredibly unlucky? Or is there something not happening correctly? Thanks!

Hey Cephalo,

im loving your mapscript and play on it exclusively :) ive had a couple of wierd maps that start with absolutely NO mountains and hills, with desert or ice where the mountains appear to belong :confused: though i havent downloaded the lates version yet so im not sure if this has been fixed :p

Also, is there any chance that you could make a dungeon mapscript for the Dungeon adventure mod? im not sure if lutefisk has already asked, so i just thought id try:D

For some reason, when using Creation.py in Fall Further, jungles never seem to be initializing as Deep Jungles and Wetlands are never created at game start. I tried a little ham-fisted anecdotal testing by starting up a bunch of games as Mazatl with Creation.py and then a bunch of games as Mazatl with the Big and Small map. Every time there was the appropriate jungle/river/grassland combo on Big and Small, there was a scattering of Deep Jungles and Wetlands. To date, both in tests and in regular games, I have never seen a single deep jungle or wetlands in Creation.py.

Am I stupid and this is a known issue? Or just incredibly unlucky? Or is there something not happening correctly? Thanks!

for one, are you using the CreationFF.py? it's a custum script for fall further and gives the FF civs a higher chance of starting on native terrain (mazatl almost always start in the jungle). Besides that, read up on the FF jungle/swamp mechanics. Wetlands will randomly form from graslands in your borders, and jungles will randomly grow on your tiles (like forests, but faster). Use your workers (if mazatl, not cuatl) with spring to create swamps on wetlands! careful with resources though, i'm not sure if the swamps can be removed.

for one, are you using the CreationFF.py? it's a custum script for fall further and gives the FF civs a higher chance of starting on native terrain (mazatl almost always start in the jungle). Besides that, read up on the FF jungle/swamp mechanics. Wetlands will randomly form from graslands in your borders, and jungles will randomly grow on your tiles (like forests, but faster). Use your workers (if mazatl, not cuatl) with spring to create swamps on wetlands! careful with resources though, i'm not sure if the swamps can be removed.

Yeah, using Creation_FF.py. So in creation, the wetlands/deep jungles are spawned during play and not at map generation? I guess that was the question I had, since in the other maps, wetlands/deep jungles are placed right at the start. Thanks!

Ceph I love Creation (and typically play 100% of my games on it) but lately been playing with people with cruddy comps necessitating small or standard size maps which Creation doesn't seem to do as well as it does the huge and large (probably due to the mountained off areas and having less space).

Is there any way (or is it even possible) to have perfect world take into account terrain preferences? Or would that require massive reengineering.

Yeah, using Creation_FF.py. So in creation, the wetlands/deep jungles are spawned during play and not at map generation? I guess that was the question I had, since in the other maps, wetlands/deep jungles are placed right at the start. Thanks!

Wetlands shouldn't be spawned at the start by any of the map scripts I can think of - they should only ever be spawned in the lizard lands.

Deep jungle is spawned by some scripts as they just place features to improve the production of an area (to "normalize it") and Deep Jungles provide hammers. I'd been looking into ways to prevent this but there isn't an easy one without overriding the normalize function for all map scripts (which interferes with how the scripts work in general). All Deep Jungle outside of Lizard lands reverts to normal Jungle at the end of a turn in anycase, so it has a limited impact.

==

Either way - generation during play is the intended behaviour. The Creation_FF just tries to make sure that the lizards start in lowland, wet areas with some forests/jungle, as this is ideal for conversion to "lizard land".

Hmm. In competitive multiplayer games, that can actually alter the strengths of the starting locations of the players since the game will think it's improved their start when in fact it's made it worse, possibly both relatively and absolutely.
Would ancient forest not have the same problem in Vanilla? What did Kael do for that?

Would ancient forest not have the same problem in Vanilla? What did Kael do for that?

I'm going to move this part of the discussion back over to here so that we're not hijacking Cephalo's thread. This one is purely a FF issue and I think I've solved it, so no need to clutter up this thread more than we have already (sorry Cephalo).

Ceph I love Creation (and typically play 100% of my games on it) but lately been playing with people with cruddy comps necessitating small or standard size maps which Creation doesn't seem to do as well as it does the huge and large (probably due to the mountained off areas and having less space).

Is there any way (or is it even possible) to have perfect world take into account terrain preferences? Or would that require massive reengineering.

Try this for PerfectWorld.py, or any other map script.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183924

Hi,

On my Vista laptop, the creation mapscript created a really curious terrain.
I’ve used the link in your signature and the link in the first post of this tread.
Both times I’ve loaded a file called Creation.zip, containing Creation.py.
Unzipped size 108KB.
I’ve copied it into: users/owner/documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps
I really can only explain it by loading a wrong file.
What have I done wrong?

Description of the terrain:
The whole map just consists of Greenland filled with a lot of rivers, no hills, no mountains and no ocean. :confused:

Screenshot Attachment (First time I’m adding a shot to the forum, so I’m not shore if it will work)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 131
Hi,

On my Vista laptop, the creation mapscript created a really curious terrain.
I’ve used the link in your signature and the link in the first post of this tread.
Both times I’ve loaded a file called Creation.zip, containing Creation.py.
Unzipped size 108KB.
I’ve copied it into: users/owner/documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps
I really can only explain it by loading a wrong file.
What have I done wrong?

Description of the terrain:
The whole map just consists of Greenland filled with a lot of rivers, no hills, no mountains and no ocean. :confused:

Screenshot Attachment (First time I’m adding a shot to the forum, so I’m not shore if it will work)

If it crashes every time, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it for you. There is an old map script called random.py that interferes with the 'random.py' that is part of the Python system. If that file is in your PublicMaps folder, rename it.

1.04 - Added a tuning variable called SoftenPeakPercent which allows you to turn a percentage of peaks into hills to perforate the valleys and make them less like fortresses. Fixed a bug in detecting network games.

I tried this, but it does not seem to work (neither with 20.0 nor with 0.2). what number would you say is needed to reduce the amount of "fortresses"? I really like fortresses, but they should have more than ONE entry point, shouldn't they?

I tried this, but it does not seem to work (neither with 20.0 nor with 0.2). what number would you say is needed to reduce the amount of "fortresses"? I really like fortresses, but they should have more than ONE entry point, shouldn't they?

It should be between 1.0 and 0.0. It's the chance that a peak will be flattened. 0.2 Should give you what you want I would think.

After some testing around, I’ve found out some additional things.
The problem only appears if FFH2 mod is loaded.
Under normal BTS creation.py works as intended.
The Problem also appears to perfect world
and Nercury’s planet generator

My current Version: FFH2 0.31 Patch e
BTS 3.13
Running one a Vista system

And of course it happens each time under FFH2
(never happend under BTS)

Has anyone an idea what’s wrong?:confused:
I've set reagents to general, could there be a connection?

BTS 3.13

(Never happens under BTS)
No random.py in the puplicmaps folder

Has anyone an idea what’s wrong? :confused:

BTS 3.13

(Never happens under BTS)
No random.py in the puplicmaps folder

Has anyone an idea what’s wrong? :confused:

Ok to figure out why the map is crashing do this: In your BtS\CivilizationIV.ini file, set HidePythonExceptions to '0'. That will cause a popup when the script crashes detailing the reason why it crashed. If you use alot of mods it's useful to leave it that way so you can report otherwise unseen bugs to the mod developers.

Top Bottom