Marathon question.

Immortal Ace

Prince
Ok, so I've been playing Vanilla Civ IV until I got the complete edition. Played about 4-5 games on Vanilla before I got BtS with the Complete Edition.

Anyways, so I'm playing BtS and I really notice one thing. To me, it seems Marathon on BtS is QUICK. Like really fast. I played a game and got to the 1000 A.D. years and was like, 'man, it feels like on Vanilla I'd still be around 300-400 A.D.'

Am I wrong or did they make Marathon quicker in the expansions compared to Vanilla?

I don't think the number of turns in Marathon have changed since the mode was introduced.

You can check on the "victory" screen, "settings" tab, whether you're really on Marathon. The UI in the "Custom Game" screen is a bit wonky, and sometimes when you want to scroll the list of players with the mousewheel, you end up changing some map setting which still had mouse focus. Happened to me several times.

The inter-turn times in BtS may be quicker than in vanilla Civ due to more efficient AI programming (mainly backporting redundant/unused Python calls into the DLL), but I don't think you meant that. ;)

Maybe this is psychological thing. You are more intrested on the new version of the game so your mind is more in the game than in the actual time passing by. This way it only feels going faster.

The same as if you are doing something really interesting the time goes faster compared to if you just have to sit on a chair doing nothing.

Ah, you're correct. Marathon is 200 turns longer in BtS, ori even made a graph showing the differences:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5824731&postcount=18

Still doesn't explain the OP's impression that Marathon plays quicker in BtS, but perhaps he can explain in a bit more detail what's making him think so, then we may see clearer. :)

Ok, I'm back.

I only played up to 1,000 A.D before I figured I screwed myself with my neighbors >.>

But from 4,000 BC to 1,000 A.D. it feels like the game just went quicker. Maybe I'm wrong but It just feels like it. But I think you or someone else said Marathon slows down more in the modern era compared to how it was in Vanilla.

Top Bottom