MarnokMod - (Explorable lairs)

Thanks for the fast response. :)

Thats greath news. I am quite confident that the lair part might very well make it ínto the main mod after ice is finished (thats one of the reasons why i concentrate on that part so much).
Adds alot without adding lots of complexity / learning. So it might be a hot contender. (explorable villages i think unbalance the game to much, as you might know to be considered for that. Also they add lots of complexity which the team did mention it didn't want in the main-game.
Still very solid for a modmod like this one so i don't ignore it because i dislike it.)

I can't speak for the team naturally but i can't imagine what big problems whould prevent merge after the game is complete.
Especially if implemented as an Option and with a big warning-tag attatched that the game will be though as nails if enabled. :D And that big bad monsters will! roam the countryside.

I agree with some of the recent comments. This is a fantastic modmod. It is extremely challenging early game and puts more value in some of the units that were undervalued in my mind. Archers are NEEDED to defend cities and hills. Mounted units make a difference in getting from place to place to keep the baddies at bay. And Forts are needed again to help defend your struggling island of civilization from the terros of the wild.

I look forward to trying the next verison with the culture generating villages (and hopefully forts).

I spotted a "giant steading" in a recent Fall Further game; is this a bonus lairtype from your mod or is that something Vehem threw in there?

Didn't get to see what lived in it because someone went and summoned Hyborem into the area and my scouts were locked out by his borders for several turns.

I spotted a "giant steading" in a recent Fall Further game; is this a bonus lairtype from your mod or is that something Vehem threw in there?

Didn't get to see what lived in it because someone went and summoned Hyborem into the area and my scouts were locked out by his borders for several turns.

Vehem has included an early version of the modmod in FF. Also my modmod includes some stuff Vehem did after I first released, so the edges are perhaps a bit blurred!

I agree with some of the recent comments. This is a fantastic modmod. It is extremely challenging early game and puts more value in some of the units that were undervalued in my mind. Archers are NEEDED to defend cities and hills. Mounted units make a difference in getting from place to place to keep the baddies at bay. And Forts are needed again to help defend your struggling island of civilization from the terros of the wild.

I look forward to trying the next verison with the culture generating villages (and hopefully forts).

Thanks! I'll try and release the culture villages soon, I just need to tweak the AI's approach and then maybe put in an option for Forts to act in a similar way. Of course if you are feeling brave, the test version seems stable-ish for play (see link above... somewhere...)

I got golden dragon from exploring sunken city, but he appeared on water tile and just "drown" at the begining of next turn.

I got golden dragon from exploring sunken city, but he appeared on water tile and just "drown" at the begining of next turn.

I'll fix water exploration in the next release.

Also I'm looking at Treasure Hunting again, because it's a bit rubbish at the moment!

Is it possible to give black and golden dragons cultist promotion (I don`t remember the name), so they could be converted by Abashi or Eurabatres, or allows Eurabatres to convert all defeated golden dragons and Abashi to convert all defeated black dragons (or if black dragon is defeat by Abashi, he will join your team)?

first a very enyoining mod. i made 3 around 700 turn games and it seem very stable.

but i think that sometings must be do for the AI: 3 monarch/maraton huge map 19 civ games stopped around turn 700 by conquest victory (i'm the only survivor player).

as secondary trouble: tried also a multiplayer lan game but struck by oos bug in the turn 0 every time

and in the last: in the main FFH2 game a unit can gain no more than 100 XP from barbarian: i think that limit is not so good in this mod now: i think it must be forgot...sure for famed units and or heroes

thanks for this great job

and in the last: in the main FFH2 game a unit can gain no more than 100 XP from barbarian: i think that limit is not so good in this mod now: i think it must be forgot...sure for famed units and or heroes

Is this limit really working? I leveled up normal units, Brigid or Eurabatres to 15-18 level only on barbarian units. Hmm, but I think I used Great Commander, but GC give +1exp, and Last time I saw my dragon got 8 pts from 4 battles, and he was on 14 or 15 level.

Is this limit really working? I leveled up normal units, Brigid or Eurabatres to 15-18 level only on barbarian units. Hmm, but I think I used Great Commander, but GC give +1exp, and Last time I saw my dragon got 8 pts from 4 battles, and he was on 14 or 15 level.

yes the use of great commander bypass the limit.

and for heroes it seem to me that when the limit is surpassed they keep more than 100 even if you pick GC with another unit (but i noticed the last event with
032 a. with 032l the normal unit stop to gain further if don't have GC attached so i don't know that this is now true again. in my last game with marnokmod in 032l stop before i have heroes so..)

I'm not sure how to combine files without replacing other previous mod files, and I'm not sure what the new files might not have that the replaced files did have? What programs can be used to open up these ".py" and ".bak" files? Where did you guys get the programs to edit them?

Notepad (included in Windows) can acess some python files (like the settings.py which obviously was written with that in mind). So try that one. (It also works for some of the mods and modmods xmls which usually open with excel and related applications.)

Just be sure to not! define that as the standard way to open those files or you will get a bit confused with your files fastly.

For real acess / modification as designed you whould need a tool to code. Don't know which are prefered here. Im sure one of the moders and modmoders can help you with that should you wan't that.

I always edit my .py files (and the xml, and any php etc I'm working on) in notepad++. It's free! and makes editing these files easier - colour coding comment lines, allowing you to collapse functions so you only see the first lines, lots of useful things. Ty it and see.

Great job Marnok, really enjoy it. Got tired of waiting for it to be completely integrated into FF so I did it myself. Austrin really fun with Hammat running around. :) I am also trying to merge Scions into it. Most problems with that are dealing with multitude of crc errors in the Scion download, but that is for another modder.

Had an idea I was thinking about trying to put in my own version. How about some heroes that can only be gained through dungeon exploration or village visitation? Available to everyone, but super rare chance of you ever finding one.

Had a BigBad scare this morning. New game, warrior goes to town for defense. Scout hits dingeon and releases one big bad ugly named lich. Needless to say that was an enjoyable game. So once again thanks for all the fun.

Great job Marnok, really enjoy it. Got tired of waiting for it to be completely integrated into FF so I did it myself. Austrin really fun with Hammat running around. :) I am also trying to merge Scions into it. Most problems with that are dealing with multitude of crc errors in the Scion download, but that is for another modder.
Glad you are enjoying it, when I reach a point where I am happy with the mod I might start merging with other mods - I had a Frankenmod in mind involving all the popular mods where compatible, probably with extensive settings.py options!
Had an idea I was thinking about trying to put in my own version. How about some heroes that can only be gained through dungeon exploration or village visitation? Available to everyone, but super rare chance of you ever finding one.
Well, there's a chance in Dungeons for heroic adventurers to appear, they will have unique generated names. I could add a chance they will have Hero promotion. Also in Villages, some of my lesser expert types can be upgraded into combat units, they will be named also, again could add a chance for adventuring Heroes. (the Ramtops are somewhere for people to come from...) If you want to mod this in yourself, have a look in the spells python and see if you can spot where the units are created, add in the Hero promo on a percentage chance, see how it looks.

So I decided to try your mod out. After some early bad luck with things like manticores and wraiths running wild on me in the early game, I got off to a satisfactory start with Decius. Some thoughts (spoilered for those who would rather go in blind):

Spoiler :
1: The "The unit has been posessed!" result for dungeon exploration is really entertaining. I had a jolly time running around with my new demon-warrior until the % chance to go barbarian got him.

2: The specter-summoning giant spider is pretty much an XP farm.

3: About 90 turns in, Perpentarch got himself greased by something and Jubilee ended up becoming Acheron's lair. As he was the only civ sharing my continent, I experienced a significant upswing in unpleasant barbarian attacks shortly thereafter, which was actually pretty cool. Rather than a boring settler roll-out I got to reclaim the continent from barbarians. Except...

4: Water Elementals are actually more dangerous after the first time you beat them at the amount of health they wind up with once they split. Where do these spawn, anyway, sunken cities? I had an adventurer dragonship going around clearing those, and then they stopped coming, but I lost my fourth town and nearly my third to a named one. Possibly hurling masses of Moroi at them wasn't the optimal solution to the problem, but they were still pretty rotten.

Overall, great work. A nice change of pace from "settle, settle, rush neighbor, tech, tech, conquer world."

Overall, great work. A nice change of pace from "settle, settle, rush neighbor, tech, tech, conquer world."

Thanks KingOgLands.

The spider you encountered had picked up a random promotion, there's thousands of possible combinations of promotions/monsters, I think you got "lucky" with tht particular combination! Those bits of luck help balance out the harsher bad luck.. sometimes...

Yes water elementals will spawn from sunken cities, but normally only after a Drown gets a result to spawn its "boss" type. I think Wellies still can take over a land-based lair, I stopped Drowns from doing so but I think I left wellies with a chance.

You post reminds me of an idea I wanted to try - cooperative multiplayer, all against the barbarians! With the right settings.py that could be a fun game, I think.

Remembering that reminded me of another thing. Is anyone using settings.py to heavily alter the game experience? Would people be interested to see other player's settings.py? Might be good if people explained how they like to play, which settings they use and what the game plays like on those settings. It would be interesting for me too, maybe I can change the default settings if people mostly like playing a certain way, or even include multiple settings.py files... hmm now I am thinking, settings.py could pick up variables from other settings files based on a set of settings at the top.

Love the work you've done all around Marnok. Keeps making me want to actually pull away from coding long enough to play for a while ;)

I wanted to point you to my Modcomp/FF new base code. One of the new functions which I built into Promotions is < NewName >, which overrides the base Unit Name (So in game I can rename a Unit to "Bob" and it displays "Bob (Warrior)", but through this promotion I can name him "Bob" and it'll display "Bob", if I then rename him in game to "Warrior" it'll display "Warrior (Bob)")

I realized that if you expose the tag I am using for loading the promotion info onto the unit to Python changing, you could then rename your Barbarians completely. So you could have "Chief Killsalot (Orc Warlord)" instead of "Chief Kilsalot (Warrior)", or even completely ditch the whole base name thing and just have him be "Chief Kilsalot".

Top Bottom