• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Massive Sound Problems

Honestly, we probably should just have stickies for the three or four most common problems. Wonder-movie and finale-movie sound skipping, random CTDs/reboots, etc. That would help gather all of the complaints (and eventual solutions) in one place.

BTW, is it obvious that I have both of those problems?

Althon XP 3000+
1 GB RAM
Abit NF7-S mb w/ AC97 sound
WinXP Home SP2
Nividia 5700LE 256MB w/ 81.87 driver

posted this in a new thread called "wonder movie woes" but ill restate it here:

Had the same problem everyone has stated above. WAS using a SB live! card with latest drivers, etc. etc. Decieded to clean this driver, take out card, and put in new..er..old antique creative card. also installed omega drivers for my video card.

Opening movie now runs without an audio hiccup and wonder movies run fine except for one glitch during pyramids.

still getting extreme lag while game progresses.

My Setup:
Athlon XP 2500+
nForce 4 Chipset with Sound
ATI 9600 Pro (Omega 4.11b Drivers)

At first I was noticing a very, very minor hiccup in the intro movie, but after switching to old Omega drivers (4.11b as suggested in another thread) for my ATI card, the intro was as smooth as silk. Also, the religious movies were fine too, but the Wonder movies are still choppy. Before it was both the video and the audio, but now it's just tthe audio that's skipping. I haven't tried the Driver update yet, but I will soon. Also, I'm going to keep increasing the Omega driver version until I experience problems again.

So to re-iterate, this is my status:
Random CTD
Smooth Intro and Religious movies
Choppy Audio only in Wonder movies
Haven't Played long enough to see if the game bogs down much

When running on older AMD 64 dual-core CPUs, my video skips - my machine is really fast, why is this happening?

There is a bug in the Windows system timer code when running on some older AMD CPUs. The easiest way to work around it is to edit your c:\boot.ini file with Notepad, and add the switch "/usepmtimer" (without the quotes) onto the end of the Windows lines under the [operating systems] section, and then reboot. This problem is fixed in Windows XP SP2 and doesn't happen in Vista.
http://www.radgametools.com/binkfaq.htm

Worked for me! (my first post, haha)

Top Bottom