Master of Mana Xtended - Download and Changelog

Now, now, let's be friendly here. Everyone has the opportunity to state their opinion, and everyone has the opportunity to agree/disagree with others' opinion. I myself might be disagree with some opinions but I see the merit of looking through others' perspectives.

RE: Religious units
Religious units, including Paladins, Eidolons and Druids are there to complement roster units. The same with Guild units. So, they might be valuable for some civs yet might be not valuable for other. That's fine by me. That being said, if you feel Paladins or Eidolons are not good enough, feel free to suggest something. If you feel they are good enough, feel free to state that as well.

RE: Hallowing of the Elohim
IIRC, they are in Miracle tab. I'll look for it later.

RE: Stunned
IIRC, it has the chance to be removed on the beginning of a unit's turn. If that happens, the unit will be able to attack you despite being stunned in previous round.

RE: Recon vs Melee promotions
Hm. Maybe the proper one is Ambush vs Offence/Defence. Ambush promotions are focused on first strikes, movements, etc. Yes, there are promotions which increase strength but they are few and working in specific conditions. Offence/Defence deal mainly raw strength, so in my opinion more useful in general situation. But I made sure that the more specific a promotion is, the stronger they are. So, hopefully a kind of balance is achieved there.

Hi Esvath!
It seems that you have broken the settlers in 5.1 since they cann't settle on tiles with no food anymore, which is most of the map and makes the game basically unplayable.
In your 4.1 this was all still ok so it cannt possibly be in DLL (as you apparently implied in some earlier post).

Last edited:
It is easier to modify .cpp, .h, .inl, .rc files. To modify DLL files you need to enter debug in civilization 4 and run line by line and modify the line your currently on. The line with the spawning of bard most likely needs to be deleted. I could run you through the process to get to the line by line part.....

Do you happen to know a bit about the compilation of a dll? If so, could you please look into my modding thread in this subforum? I'm trying to compile this mod.

Hi Esvath!
It seems that you have broken the settlers in 5.1 since they cann't settle on tiles with no food anymore, which is most of the map and makes the game basically unplayable.
In your 4.1 this was all still ok so it cannt possibly be in DLL (as you apparently implied in some earlier post).
It's not a bug, it's a feature and it is coded in the DLL.

IIRC, this was coded in by CarnivalBizarre to avoid players settling on barren tiles and gain +2 food from the city tile.

While this limits the city placement choice (to which degree is open to debate), I don't think this makes the game unplayable?

It's not a bug, it's a feature and it is coded in the DLL.

Doesn't explain why this "feature" appears only starting with Xtended 5.1, does it?
Anyway, if you insist on it... then bye-bye the great mode (at least for me).
Great thanks for your dedication to your hobby so far!

Future change log (updated first post):
Snip list of changes
Nice, any thoughts about allowing improvements in wider range of terrains? I still think that it would be good idea, why no trading post or pasture on grassland for example?

Nice, any thoughts about allowing improvements in wider range of terrains? I still think that it would be good idea, why no trading post or pasture on grassland for example?
The underlying philosophy for improvements was to make civs adjust to their environment. This might be limiting but make each civ has their own flavour. If I open all improvements to all terrains, civs will just spam farms everywhere.

I enjoy the particular aspects of this mod, including the restrictions on what improvements can go where, it all seems perfectly logical to me.

The Settler restriction to only food bearing tiles is causing me some trouble. Is there a way to open it up to tiles with food AROUND that tile? Or maybe pop a building into the city like "Outpost" until you can build a water well or something? The outpost building would restrict population or city size as a result of building on a plains hilltop until you can overcome it.

Even if it came with heavy restrictions, I'd like to have way for the Bannor to build an outpost in the middle of hell terrain, as a fortress city.

I saw that there was a tile of hell terrain with frogs, which do bear food, so I tried to settle there with no luck either. Bonuses do not count.

If a unit could go in an sanctify or terraform a tile, to change the yield, that would be a solution, but that's no longer an option for any specific unit.

Regardless, not game breaking, I'm playing a ton of this mod, very fun. Hoping to see the Ogreopolis go away in the next update.

The underlying philosophy for improvements was to make civs adjust to their environment. This might be limiting but make each civ has their own flavour. If I open all improvements to all terrains, civs will just spam farms everywhere.
Isn't that sign that farms are to powerful? Anyway farm can be build on plain and grass, pasture only on plain. Besides adapting to environment is rather superficial, due to race starts you will usually get good enough terrain for you needs. Unblocking some improvements will help in those maps where you don't get racial start. It's not as if I advocate for total unlock, just some loosening restrictions.
-Trade post also on grassland
-Pasture on grass
-cottage on plain
-plantation on grass

Not exactly sure what to with hell terrain and available improvements...

Hi

Liking the newest version of MoM - the pink fix for Dural was a nice catch, it was really hurting my eyes..

Please, could you make the same fix for Mazatl also?

Thanks for the hundreds of hours of fun gaming with my friends.

Calavente you really need to stop making judgments based on singular experiences with one civilization. Eidolons might not be good for elves but they are godsends for other evil nations. You say druids have nature affinity. So what? If an evil civ does not like playing with nature mana, then druids are also a waste of culture and time.
Sorry for making comments on what I see.
And IMO it's not judgements... but "reaction".
(Edit: in particular, for my "eilodon post", I was playing the game at that time, I spent the culture for Eilodon... and then realised that they were worse than "defender".. so, maybe stupidly, I expressed my feeling on cfc... but you are right, for that post, it was mostly a "Eilodon suck for Svartalfat". However, before posting, I checked a bit on civilopedia and thought about my possibles uses of Eilodon when playing other civs, and my feeling of getting Eilodon in vanilla civ... and argumented that Eilodon, as a whole, in Xtended, and not only for Svart, are not-balanced -and even weak- when compared to the alternative Druid, or to spiritual-Paladin, or to normal units of the same Tier).

and I'm cluttering... because currently I have "game data" on it, because I'm playing that game.
and because people like you are saying "you are not showing that Recon have some un-balanced classes and promotions and strengths but you are only playing to the svartalfar str". Which somehow gives me the impression that my critics/remarks are dismissed quickly, just because the civ is svartlafar.
And IMO that is not MY experience.
(and I "clutter"... because I don't speak only about recon. and because I'm prone to walls of text... I'm not blessed with a super synthetic mind :( )

I see units and classes and disciplines that are IMO not balanced ; whether I play Svart or other civs.
Spoiler :

Re-Eidolon
From what I played, and what I have seen and can calculate here, Eilodon and Paladin are not worth a Druid . period. end of the discussion. Sure, if you don't like nature mana and are not neutral, and have no access to semi-powerful melee.. or "you can but don't want (why?) to try to use a powerful unit" then Eilodon are nice.
however that's restrictive in evaluating the str / balance of a unit.

Sure, when you lack any 10+str units, getting a Eilodon is good ; but it's not because Eilodon is good by itself... it's because your other "attacking" units are weak.
but it's nowehere as good as getting a Druid... even without any nature mana (druid without Nature has Lower base str (but greater with only 1 nature), has 2mvt vs 1mvt, can cast spells, and comes with a much cheaper tech... the cost of the Eilodon tech (23k) is almost the same as the whole of the Hunting guild techs until druid).

Maybe it's not that Eilodon/Paladin suck... only that Druid is OP.
And Sure, Eilodon having access to the demonic promotions is interesting... but that comes after level 6, and that means you don't take CA or Combat promotions or mobility and that doesn't offsets the low mobility.
(That said, it's somehow reasonnable that Eilodon are melee instead of Disciple otherwise they'll never get any xp when built by Evil civs.... but they still suck).

Re-Recon:
and whatever you say, in all my previous games, (save the ones where the Recon unit suck or is absent) : elohim, illian, ljos, calabim, Liurchips, Hippus...etc my "city-killer" unit was always a recon unit : +4str, +100xp due to being able to farm xp much more easier due to mobility and +50%vs animals.

Rangers and Satyr are good (and better than most units of same category) whether you are svart or not.
  • Rangers have no city attack malus. and 9str. and 2move, and easy xp due to bonus against animals. (and access to +5 str easily ; +2 with capturing that scorpion, that you can't do without the hunting guild)
  • Satyrs have 2mvt, and HUGE base str... without taking into account their nature affinity (but you already said that other civs might dislike nature mana)

in all my previous games, melee were used as last option, mostly due to:
  • no "more str class"
  • 1 movement.
  • 20% CA is fun... but only when targetting cities. And most of your xp needs to come before that ; so until late game, your melee units are worse "xp-ed" than mounted or recon ; and late game, your early recon units are so xp-ed that they mow through that ennemy civ all alone, without even waiting for mages or for the melee units.

Even for Paladins.. I only use them with spiritual leaders... because it offsets their low mobility !

Re-Svartalfar
and even if what you say were to be correct "I can only comment for Svart" ...
then take my comments as meaning "SVART are an bizarely constructed civ".
  • They have a powerful defender melee unit in their Roster... that is not useful in reality... (when compared to their recon options) --> then remove that unit from the rooster !! or focus it even more on defense so it's used only in defence (give it CD1 as free !). But 600metal for a defender-only unit is expensive...
  • They are supposed to focus on RECON, but while they have 3 recon units, 2 of those are not useful for the most of the game : Assassin is a niche recon unit (and IMO its 10str is too strong), and Slayer is a tier V unit, available only at the end game : so for most game, the Svart uses their base unit, 7str... or guild/religion unit and not Roster units (which seems strange) (at least they synergize with the Hunting Guild UU and the FoL UU...).
  • They are EVIL, and cannot go easily to NEUTRAL with their THEMATIC / and sole useful religion :
    • EILODON suck for them: it is a worse unit than their rooster melee unit, which itself is not really useful for Svart... and in a much more costly tech.
    • They have no way to get HP in a reasonnable way due to slow XP gain for disciples of evil civs.
  • The RECON tech line, which is supposed to be their FOCUS doesn't open any unit until TIER V
Anyway,
Sure, Svart emphasis the str of recon units (due to sinister)
For me that "emphasis" does not show that Svart synergise well with recon (yet they do, somehow), but mainly it highlights that Recon can easily be OP.
But why is the "dexterous" promotion not giving the feeling to ljosalfar that "Archery is OP" ?? IMO it's because Archery classes and promotions are less strong than recon one.

And I never encountered that feeling in other games, with other whole UNIT-Line... it sometimes happened with a specific unit_type... but those are transient, but I never felt, with any game that "melee is OP", or "mounted is OP"; on those games, I might find that "malakim syngergize well with disciples... lets make a priest-army" or "Elohim Monk is very good for my Elohim game", or "2 mvt melee units from scratch (windsword) make using melee units fun !" ...Etc It was not that the melee/disciple classes are OP, only that I get, using my civ, so many bonus toward this unit category that it becomes predominant and useful.
Svart don't get much bonus for recon... no XP bonus, no Production bonus, no mobility bonus... only one bonus : the sinister promotion (which is a good bonus btw)

That said, I found that recon class and disciplines makes Recon the most powerful units, whatever the civ I play with.
the games when it's not true are the ones where
  • Your roster has no decent recon unit (or like Sheaim, your recon always transforms into melee)
  • You lose one of your civs "core design" if you go for hunting guild (to get ranger) and/or FoL (satyrs) in early/mid game (mostly when you need other guilds first: arcane / priests / healer circle / craftsman / slavery for your roster-units or UB) and when you synergize better with another religion (and satyr unit is not worth abandoning the whole other benefits of the other religion.. which is normal reasoning btw).
Those examples do not show that melee or archer or mounted are stronger than recon. It only shows that when some civs theme or game-play doesn't allow for easy recon units, they don't use them.

The only games I did not use recon as main oever-xp-ed units is when I stopped playing for a long time and had no decent recon unit in roster, and forgot that FoL had satyr, and wanted to try other guilds than Hunting guild to see if they were interesting, to discover them.

Conclusion:
And my conclusions is more to boost Melee and Mounted (and archery?) than to nerf recon.

that's why I'd like to have str booster for melee and mounted and archery, available both on offense AND defense disciplines.
I'd like to have more promotions that offset mobility issues for melee and archery. (earlier mobility promotion?)
I'd like to have melee-only equipements that are much much better (for same cost) than normal swords/axes/spears that are also available to recon.
I'd like to have melee units be overall stronger than recon units (in the same way that archers are overall weaker than recon and melee of same tier) or much cheaper
I'd like to have melee units have xp boost / or healing boosts / access to a "field medic gear" to offset that they can get less fights for xp farming (lower mobility to access to ennemy units, and lower mobility to come back healing at home).
I'd like that shields, available to melee units, give +str% and not only +%defensive, because even when you attack, a shield gives an advantage.
...etc

Last edited:
If a unit could go in an sanctify or terraform a tile, to change the yield, that would be a solution, but that's no longer an option for any specific unit.
I am thinking of giving Priests a Sanctify spell. Maybe on Way of the Wise, available for non OO and non AV priests?

I'm playing a ton of this mod, very fun. Hoping to see the Ogreopolis go away in the next update.
Thank you! I am glad that you are enjoying the mod.
On Ogreopolis... Until someone is able to mod the DLL, I am afraid we have to live with them :( I will reduce their strength and maybe give them Held promotion to prevent them from moving around but that's just a bandage fix.

Isn't that sign that farms are to powerful?
No, I just used the Farm as an example. My main point is, I don't want to see all civs are building the same improvements.

-Trade post also on grassland
-Pasture on grass
-cottage on plain
-plantation on grass
- Plantation is buildable on grass, swamp and broken terrains on the next version.
- Pasture, Farm and Camp are food source improvements and terrain dependent now. If I loosen up the terrain requirement, that will make the landscape less unique.
- The same with Trade Posts and Cottages.

Hi

Liking the newest version of MoM - the pink fix for Dural was a nice catch, it was really hurting my eyes..

Please, could you make the same fix for Mazatl also?

Thanks for the hundreds of hours of fun gaming with my friends.
Hi, thanks for the kind words! I am glad that you enjoy Xtended.

I think the quick fix for the Dural is also fixing the Mazatl?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/duralquickfixfix-zip.455687/

Hi esvath,

I've just downloaded your mod for the first time (latest version), and I'm having some issues where the UI doesn't appear for certain civs (the Aos Si and the Scions of Patria that I've noticed so far). A screenshot is below - there are a few error messages that may be useful in debugging.

The standard civs seem to work fine however. Looking forward to trying out the mod. :)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 341
Hi esvath,

I've just downloaded your mod for the first time (latest version), and I'm having some issues where the UI doesn't appear for certain civs (the Aos Si and the Scions of Patria that I've noticed so far). A screenshot is below - there are a few error messages that may be useful in debugging.

The standard civs seem to work fine however. Looking forward to trying out the mod. :)

Hi, thanks for the interest!

Just to make sure, did you install MOM full version and the patch, then copy-paste Xtended on the right folder? You might need to check your folder, whether the folder Xtended is on the correct path:
Modules\NormalModules\Xtended ?

If everything is on its proper place and you still have the error, maybe try PLAY NOW! to clean the options (might be carried away from another mod).

If all above can not help you, then I'd suggest for a complete reinstall of MOM+Xtended.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I checked the path as you suggested (which was correct), then attempted a re-install. I loaded the game and tested it with Scions of Patria after installing base MoM (worked fine), but after installing the 2.11 patch I was having the same UI issues. My problem doesn't seem to arise from your mod then, but rather the 2.11 patch. Can I get by without installing that?

I am not sure what kind of files are introduced by 2.11 (not on my laptop atm). You could try that, installing Xtended on top of MOM.

TBH, I have never seen this bug before. Anyone else has an idea?

Hi,

the fix for Dural does not fix the Mazatl pink city screen or the Technology Advisor-screen. Downloaded and copy/pasted the files again - also started a new game, just to make sure, both screens had the pink background. Would really appreciate a fix for that:).

Thanks for all the hard work.

PS. Also, sometimes the AI stays as a one city state, because the settler-group(two warriors and the settler) can't get past the barbarian camps - maybe the amount of warriors could be raised, to let's say four, so that the group has more chances to survive in the hostile world of Xtended?

Last edited:
@esvath - I did as you suggested and tried to install Xtended on top of base MoM. It didn't work unfortunately, I got XML errors on startup. If others aren't encountering this issue, it must be due to some peculiarity of my system, but I'm not sure what.

Do you have BUG/BULL installed as integrated part of core civ4? I had similar problem with no interface, after uninstalling BUG I could play normally.

Top Bottom