Meet the Modders

Does that mean that you were trying to take a picture of something else and actually photographed your own thumb? Even smartphones aren't smart enough to deal with that one.

More like between the food, conversation, and making sure WildWeazel still got to the airport in time for the flight, the thought of photographic documentation didn't come up.

It was nice to have a successful CFC IRL meetup after 14 years! Almost made it to one five years ago, but other than that they'd all been a bit far away to make happen on my end.

Oh! I was looking forward to a thumb pic like the one in Beavis and Butt-head do America.

And yes, meeting people IRL is fun! I recently did it about a month ago.

Well, what with cataract surgery on one eye, a hearing aids, I am almost a new man. With the surgery, I am now seeing better in that eye than I have ever seen before. Previously, it was 20/400. I could just see the "E" on the eye chart. Now, I have almost 20/20 vision (4 out of 6 letters on the 20/20 chart). As for hearing, from a childhood incident, I had a major hearing loss in my right ear. With advancements in technology, I now have a hearing aid that works. For the first time in 65 years, I can hear birds tweeting with my right ear. All this courtesy of the U.S. Veterans Administration and the U.S. taxpayer. I paid my dues with my service.

…which means you can now play more civ, right?

I should add that with the new hearings aids, I can also hear the game much better. I do not need to have the volume up near as much. I guess this all means that I am getting older. I do prefer getting older to the alternative, however.

This should, again, result in playing more civ, simply because fewer people will complain about its loudness.

Hey, are we still using this thread? I stepped for out a bit with some... work stuff...
But now I'm back, and trying to wrap up a game that I've been narrating on Discord for over a year. I'm a runaway Austria in a tweaked C3C Patch Suggestion mod on a huge 20-civ 60% archi map, and roleplaying a gradual descent into ultranationalist supervillainy. I also have a few mod projects in the works that you'll be hearing about shortly.

Meanwhile fingolfin recently got some upgrades: a reasonably priced Sapphire RX 6700 (for gaming) a 2Tb Samsung 980 Pro (for virtual machines) and some swag (for swagger)

1689136784975.png
1689136671011.png

It's now perfectly at ease running Bannerlord, which is dangerous to my Civ career.

If you've noticed my lack of activity, and have wondered where I've been, the good news is the answer isn't playing Civ6. Rather, I've been to a lot of places.

We used to share maps of places we've been on older pages of this thread, and I've added 5 new states to the list of places I've been in the past month (and 8 total this year), so I thought I'd make a map (there's a good generator at https://gasfoodnolodging.com/visitedstates/ that has different shades for how much time you've spend there; they also have a Canada version but sadly no worldwide one, though other sites have options for those).

My "visited states" map is now:

1695489315931.png

White = Never been there, or only in an airport (Minnesota)
Red = Spent less than a full day there or have just driven through
Orange = Spent a couple days there
Blue = Spent at least a week there
Green = Spent many months there

So far my road trip has been over 3500 miles, and will reach over 4000 by its conclusion (about 6400 kilometers). It's been through OH, IN, IL, MO, AR, (MO again), KS, CO, WY, NE, SD, and IA, with the remainder being WI, and then back through IL and IN to OH, so twelve states all in all. Kansas has great wild sunflowers. Colorado has certainly been impacted by wildfires and pine beetles, but still has great hikes with alpine meadows and scenic mountain views, though the Forest Service could use more funding to improve the washboard roads to get to the trails. I saw two wild moose while on a hike in Wyoming. But perhaps my favorite discovery has been the Black Hills of South Dakota. They might not be as tall as the Rockies, but the views are super scenic, there are lots of bison in the area, and the trails are reliably reachable in an average sedan or motorcycle.

You have been busy. The states that I am missing are: Montana, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Delaware, and New Jersey. I have lived in Alaska, and spent 10 days in Hawaii.

You have been busy. The states that I am missing are: Montana, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Delaware, and New Jersey. I have lived in Alaska, and spent 10 days in Hawaii.
You are thus tied with the friend I was just visiting, at 40 states. A few states fall in the group we've all missed, including Louisiana, and maybe Oklahoma and New Mexico.

I considered going to Tulsa on this trip, but the Rockies option won out instead. I'm glad it did, seeing the mountains out there was worth it.

I've heard Hawaii is great; as one of my friends says, he just wishes it were closer. I had a mate who went to Alaska too, Juneau area as I recall, the rainforest. Had a good conversation with a Maryland woman who had lived up there a couple autumns ago; she had good things to say about Alaska but had eventually moved back to Maryland after a divorce, though she still flew up a few times a year to visit her adult kids who's stayed there. I saw one Alaska plate on my trip out west; I suppose it's probably as long of a drive to Wyoming from Alaska as it is from Ohio.

If I had to pick one spot I'd recommend visiting from that list of unvisited states, that I've been to, it would be the aforementioned Black Hills of South Dakota. But second would be Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and the pine forests to the west of it. Hattiesburg is a fun artistic town, home of the University of Southern Mississippi, with perhaps the best public art scene I've seen in a city of similar size; the Pocket Museum in particular is a must-see. And I had a great time staying in a "tiny house" about 7 miles west of Hattiesburg, surrounded by a pine forest. I wouldn't have guessed it, but longleaf pine used to be present across a significant swath of the deep south; southern Mississippi still has a band that wasn't logged out of existence. It's also only 2-3 hours from New Orleans; I thought about also going there on that trip, but it would have added too much driving for the time I had for the trip. Another time.

I loved DeSoto State Park in Alabama, too, but the hike I did was nearly as rugged as it was scenic, and was very scenic, and thus has a more niche appeal.

Here's mine:
Red - only passed through or a day trip
Orange - short overnight trips
Blue - extended stays up to a summer
Green - permanent residence
map.png

I have not increased my count of 30 since the Covid era, nor have I been anywhere else except back to Ohio. I'm actually going to be back there again next week, wishing I were headed to the mountain states instead :) Then back to Texas for some local adventures while the weather is actually enjoyable!

I dled and run Godot. It really looks very usable...
I plan to learn how to create stuff there, as soon as my irl work is done (hopefully by mid November).
Can we have a thread on Godot use in this subforum? I'd certainly benefit from it and I'm sure others would too :D @Quintillus
I have enjoyed Godot so far. Also on hiatus from it currently, but I haven't had any desire to try another engine yet.

I'm thinking "All Other Games" would probably be the most appropriate forum for a Godot thread (assuming the discussion isn't focused on C7, in which case this forum would be the appropriate one). There isn't really anything Civ3-specific about Godot, and it may garner interest from players of other Civ games as well. For example the dormant CivOne project may have been interested in Godot had Godot been around five or ten years earlier, and I don't know which engine the Unciv (community Civ5-like game) uses, but Godot would have been a plausible choice had the timing lined up.

It might not be an "Other Game" per se, but as a tool for creating other games, that's my vote for the location.

Top Bottom