Merchant Confederacy not working?

CyberSabotage

Chieftain
As the it says, i think its not working.
Im playing as Venice and i have 12 trade ships going to CS and picking this SP i got 0 money, then i tought maybe it only works after you renew the trade so i w8, but 0 extra gold still :( sad panda.

Ok so i found out how it works. After picking the SP the next TECH you invent will refresh all trade and apply all SP changes :D
YAY HAPPY PANDA! MONEEEEYYYY!! heh :)

Good catch! I noticed the same too, now that you mentioned it.

I saw the same thing with that Land Route +2 gold policy thing. Gave me exactly nothing, and to make matters worse the policy itself kinda sucks (only +2 from your land routes? As a regular player you can have only 10 routes max, Venice can get 20 if they have a lucky start near desert, not to mention most of my routes are - obviously - naval)

Enrico, I think the gold bonus does take into account other multipliers though (market, bank, stock exchange). Not very good anyway, I know. Except, of course, when you've got those lovely naval trade routes set up nicely and take the treasure fleets from exploration. That's a lot of money incoming!

I noticed that the +gold from traderoutes policies don't tend to kick in as soon as you get them. I think the gold's set when the trade route is assigned.

So if you're trading for 8 GPT and you get +2 gold from land trade routes, that +2 gold won't add onto the 8 GPT trade route until it asks to be reassigned.

That's the only explanation I can think of - I definitely noticed my GPT rising over time as I resassigned trade routes, but not immediately as I picked the policy.

I noticed that the +gold from traderoutes policies don't tend to kick in as soon as you get them. I think the gold's set when the trade route is assigned.

So if you're trading for 8 GPT and you get +2 gold from land trade routes, that +2 gold won't add onto the 8 GPT trade route until it asks to be reassigned.

That's the only explanation I can think of - I definitely noticed my GPT rising over time as I resassigned trade routes, but not immediately as I picked the policy.

Definitely didn't get anything from Caravan +2 gold policy as Venice at no stage in the game.

Not only is the policy absolutely useless, it doesn't even work. I think someone at balance team (if there's any) slept when they were thinking through all the trade route policies, which are all absolutely awful.

Is this in a scenario or what policy tree is it?

Merchant Confederation is Patronage, +1 gold from city state trade routes.

Yes, it's an useless policy, but required to get the patronage finisher.

The +2 gold from land trade routes is in commerce, and yeah it's not only absolutely useless but it also never works.

I did a test just a moment ago with advanced start just to test this. Here are two screenshots I made. It seems to work for me.

Attachments

• 2013-07-18_00003.jpg
    2013-07-18_00003.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 80
  • 2013-07-18_00004.jpg
    2013-07-18_00004.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 75
And here is an advanced start that I just did regarding the SP in commerce.

Attachments

• 2013-07-18_00005.jpg
    2013-07-18_00005.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 2013-07-18_00006.jpg
    2013-07-18_00006.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 76
I wouldn't call the +1 gold from city states useless. It's definitely not a good policy, but it has its uses. Given that city states don't yield as much gold as other civs, it can take the edge off if you don't want science to leak over trade routes. Plus, combine that with Freedom's diplomacy level 3 tenet and you're due for a winner :D

Trade routes are just like a trade agreement you do in the diplo screen, in that if you offer 5 gpt for something, you can't simply change the agreement in the middle. The bonus from the policy only works when you start a new trade route, and won't affect the ones currently in progress.

Top Bottom