Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

Here is an improvement I have been working on for the past day.
The game only reads the Village part.
I used the village, castle, stable, and walls and created a Castle Town, I don't know why the game only reads the village maybe you can check it out and tell me.

The nif file is called 1Castle_Town (it's the first file in the folder.)

It's not because you're not making the NIF right. I think it's fine. I believe the problem lies in the PlotLSystem, which copies and readjusts the NIFs. I don't really understand the system.
However, there's a possible work-around.

Perhaps if we make a new improvement that still is called "town" in game but has a different identifier in the XML files, and then we assign it a different ArtStyle, we may be able to get it to show up. Let me test that.

Alright this works on my end.

Here are the problems I believe you were encountering:

1. The Meshes (3D Models) that you had in the file were pasted at the end. If you press F2, you should be able to see a list of how the file looks. You need to paste the meshes under the same NiNode as the other meshes. The easiest way to figure out where to paste it is to click on one of the 3D models already in the file. That will make it's location appear on the list on the left. Then just paste the mesh you are copying to the parent of the model. If you don't understand this, please wait until I make my video tutorial on units and buildings. For the mean time, I have fixed it for you (you can look in the file to see what I mean.)
  2. The L System is indeed messing with us! :D I created an exact clone of the town but renamed it in the files only. Look for the two XML files in the attachment and put them in the proper folders (Art and Terrain). You'll also have to put the town art in the correct file location. You should not delete the original town in the Improvements XML file, as it is referenced in the L System and you don't want to mess that up.
If you have further questions let me know. (1) was why it would not show up in the Civilopedia. (2) is why it would not show up on the map.

Attachments

• town.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
If you have more questions, just post them in my video tutorial thread. I want to keep this one on the Middle-earth topic. :)

It's possible but I can't remember how Civ Art Styles work with mesh groups that are one unit. There's a possible work around I think, but we couldn't, for example, have two meshes on a unit that usually has three.

I don't have access to my computer right now but I will dig in to it.

Weaponswaps are easy and I might do it as a tutorial. There is a tutorial in the tutorial forum section too.

See if you can find a unit with the right sword/dagger.

Hello topsecret!

I've been messing with the unitmesh, but no luck. I usually don't prefer using unitmesh for graphic variety, but as I mentioned, I wanted to see if it was possible to visually 'echo' aspects of the films, where our rag-tag group of heroes bands together:
the-hobbits.jpg lotr.jpg
So for the visuals, I just wanted to try out a swordsman unitmesh 'squad' of Gondor fighters, one with a claymore leading two others with shortswords. I dunno, it might be interesting, it might not.

Go ahead and give some suggestions because this is your chance, because I am doing it anyway.

Well it’s a humble offering, but I thought you might find this warrior useful (I forget where I found the file). His outfit is a little darker, and his boots appear to be furred, which squares pretty well with Medieval Fantasy.
Additional Warrior, fur boots.png

Attachments

• Warrior fur boots.zip
    55.9 KB · Views: 179
For the meshes, see the Besieger unit in the latest update on UnitInfos. Should provide a workable example.

I like the warrior. :)

I've been doing some reskinning and made a new model for a helmet as well. :mischief:

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0280.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0281.JPG

"We are proud to fight alongside men once more."
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0282.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0284.JPG

Would it be possible to make The Shire (or Hobbiton) an indepedent civilization or autonomous region under another civilization? I was always thinking about The Shire as an indepedent monarchy where hobbits lived...

Would it be possible to make The Shire (or Hobbiton) an indepedent civilization or autonomous region under another civilization? I was always thinking about The Shire as an indepedent monarchy where hobbits lived...
Of course, but that would require hobbits as art. :) I am knee-deep in art as it is and real life is distracting me.

But yes, it would be possible to add them as a Civilization. Just there is no hobbit art readily available at the moment.

I think that is possible. Lemme see. I know LotR or the Hobbit specifically mention that Dwarves do ride ponies. But I would like other mounts.
They ride some ponies Beorn lends them (and aren't good at riding them). They don't fight in them and no mention on any of Tolkein's books of dwarf cavalry existing or dwarves fighting mounted.

Hi, Topsecret! I enthusiastically downloaded latest version of your work. Then I pasted the unpacked "Middle-earth" folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods
Nevertheless the game immediately crashes as I try to load the mod from the starting menu... I guess there is something basic I'm missing... May I beg you (or everyone else reading this, naturally) some friendly&merciful hints? Thanks in advance for your time...

Hi, Topsecret! I enthusiastically downloaded latest version of your work. Then I pasted the unpacked "Middle-earth" folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods
Nevertheless the game immediately crashes as I try to load the mod from the starting menu... I guess there is something basic I'm missing... May I beg you (or everyone else reading this, naturally) some friendly&merciful hints? Thanks in advance for your time...
Howdy! Let's see if we can make it work.

Couple of questions:
1. Are you using BtS 3.19? Make sure you have the latest patch.

2. Does the file structure include:
Beyond the Sword\Mods\Middle-earth\Assets
?
Double folders can kill everything.

If it doesn't work after that, get back to me.

Hi,
Ringil,

Of the crash, happenes right after game load,
On the loading bar, where does it crash, xml,, init, python or art?

Did you use another mod before this one?
Also,
Clean cache also helps.
Its in tge hidden folder of Add data, under c: your username.

Howdy! Let's see if we can make it work.

Couple of questions:
1. Are you using BtS 3.19? Make sure you have the latest patch.

2. Does the file structure include:
Beyond the Sword\Mods\Middle-earth\Assets
?
Double folders can kill everything.

If it doesn't work after that, get back to me.

Hi, Topsecret! Thanks a lot for your clear words, that, as did Eru facing Melkor during Ainulindale, brought chaos and dissonance to superior harmony! I installed the version of Bts you suggested and now (although a message still complains unfulfillment of graphic requirements) everything seems to run greatly (I also had to set language to English both in Civ4 and Bts)!!! The mod appears very lovely crafted and very charming, in primis, imo, for devoted references to Tolkien's writings! I'll be happy to give further and more detailed impressions and feedbacks as my first campaign goes on... In the meantime, again my gratitude for your work and for attention yuu gave to my... rookie problem!

Hi,
Ringil,

Of the crash, happenes right after game load,
On the loading bar, where does it crash, xml,, init, python or art?

Did you use another mod before this one?
Also,
Clean cache also helps.
Its in tge hidden folder of Add data, under c: your username.

Hi, Keldath! I fixed the problem installing latest version of bts, but I really appreciated you friendly hints (anyway, the game crashed immediately: no loading bar had a chance to appear...). See you!

Hi, Topsecret! Thanks a lot for your clear words, that, as did Eru facing Melkor during Ainulindale, brought chaos and dissonance to superior harmony! I installed the version of Bts you suggested and now (although a message still complains unfulfillment of graphic requirements) everything seems to run greatly (I also had to set language to English both in Civ4 and Bts)!!! The mod appears very lovely crafted and very charming, in primis, imo, for devoted references to Tolkien's writings! I'll be happy to give further and more detailed impressions and feedbacks as my first campaign goes on... In the meantime, again my gratitude for your work and for attention yuu gave to my... rookie problem!
Let me get you a link to solve that "graphics problem". Probably means you have a newer computer than 2005ish so it doesn't know what to do with your graphics card.

Go to
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini

And change:
; Don't show minimum specification warnings
HideMinSpecWarning = 0

To:
; Don't show minimum specification warnings
HideMinSpecWarning = 1

And remember the mod isn't finished. I will actually be working on it tomorrow, hopefully releasing an update soon

Hello topsecret!

Look, why don't you UPDATE this mod on MODDB too??

https://www.moddb.com/mods/middle-earth
Hello Rakh,

Excellent suggestion! I had forgotten about ModDB. I just uploaded the last version I released. (0.410) I haven't released one since, so I better work on it soon if I have the chance. Thanks for the reminder.

Top Bottom