Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

"There I halted for a long while.

It was almost a year later when I went on."

J.R.R. Tolkien

How do you make the One Ring? I understand it has to be made by Mordor at Mt. Doom but what techs and resources are needed?

It's not in the mod right now. I never got around to programming it. Though I might like to someday soon...

really, really pedantic - and may have been fixed by now: the art/units/dunland/dunland spearman hasa slight nif error, one of the unit accessories has a local texture reference

Hi, trying to follow the links to the download, and I get an error on mediafire for the two most recent ones. Thankfully, the 0400 one works.

Thanks for the heads up - got a certain problem (cc by MediaFire) apparently! Fixing it now with a different upload.

Thanks!

Not sure if you're still updating, but some feedback:
* the culture traits give too much, especially with how expensive other forms of culture are. I'm not sure why +2 wasn't used?
* the civic giving +1hpt to cottages creates a really weird dynamic where cottages are arguably better than hamlets, which is weird. Why not give +1hpt to all cottage types? Or remove the bonus. Similar, but not as bad, for the +1c to cottages.
* wargs having 2 first strikes is brutal. Could this be toned down? Or moved so they spawn later?
* I like the variety of civs, but as some have noted, its jarring that theres not much factional loyalty. Angmar budding with Rivendell is odd. There could be ways of fixing that easily in the scenarios, or you could hard code attitudes for each leader, or go for the alignment system of FFH2
* I feel there's a long time without unit variety early on. The AI also really favours bombarding with archers rather than attacking
* artifacts are cool! But its annoying we can't move them around or replace them if the unit dies. Would it be possible to make them work like items in FFH2?

I would also be happy to see Blue Marble or similar included, since vanilla graphics are quite meh.

The Middle-earth Mod allows you to play as a leader of the greatest civilizations and empires in Arda, holding the fate of Middle-earth in your hands.

Features:
*18 Unique Civilizations with Animated Leaders
*Flavored unit art
*A completely revamped tech tree
*35+ Middle-earth Wonders
*Many new buildings and civics
*Two detailed maps of Middle-earth
*Artifacts you can craft or capture from other units

I hope you enjoy playing in Middle-earth.

This is a beta version of the mod. I am currently working on various topics.

If you want to help with the mod, please read the "How can I help?" post.

Spoiler :

Main screen
Spoiler :

Map Images
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Mordor
Spoiler :

Technologies
Spoiler :

Units
Spoiler :

Buildings
Spoiler :

Wonders
Spoiler :

Wulf
Spoiler :

Eorl
Spoiler :

Brand
Spoiler :

Civics
Spoiler :

Tech Tree
Spoiler :

Doors of Durin
Spoiler :

Orthanc
Spoiler :

Stone of Erech
Spoiler :

The Rohirrim army.
Spoiler :

Mithril!
Spoiler :

17 Civilizations:
Spoiler :

Sauron:
Spoiler :

Changelog (v. 0.4.1):
Spoiler :

v0.4.1- 08/8/20
- Added Artifacts Mod
- Added the Platypedia
- Added Umbar to All Maps and Fixed Minor Errors with Maps
- Updated Civilizations' Starting Techs
- Updated Durin BG
- Changed Various Requirements of Techs for Buildings and Units
- Added a Bonus for Farms once Crop Rotation is Researched
- Added Free GP's to certain techs
- Added Many New Units (Need to add many more flavor units in future updates)
- Reworked Some Unique Units

v0.4- 04/22/20
- Modified Pierce Promotion
- Minor Bug Fixes
- Reduced the strength of certain civics
- Increased the hammer cost of many units/buildings
- Reduced the power of certain buildings
- Added Tech Quotes
- Updated Leaderheads/Leaders
- Added Certain Diplomacy Text
- New Main Menu Added

v0.3- 12/21/18
- Added Umbar
- Added Many New Technologies and Rebalanced Costs
- Added 7 new values + 7 "missionary" units
- Added Treasury, Messenger Hall, and Feast Hall
- Added 10 new wonders
- Added 6 new promotions
- Added 11 new civics
- Minor Bug Fixes

v0.2.5 - 07/07/18
- Added Honey, Mushrooms, Apples, and Camels'
- Added/Edited Game Text
- Removed incorrect UnitCombat Popups from building a worker or settler
- Replaced Lions with Wargs
- Map edited
- Added new River Crossing
- Added "No Settlers" Game Option for Custom Scenarios

v0.2.4 - 6/21/18
- Edited civics
- Edited some of the traits
- Added and Edited Game Text
- Added option to download Middle-earth BUG
- Map edited, slightly more balanced.

v0.2.3 - 5/8/18
- Added Dwarven Unit Art
- Added Soundtrack
- Added Civic Text
- Added Building Text

v0.2.2 - 06/21/17
- Added Angmar unit art
- Added Wonder Art: Chamber of Mazarbul, Rath Dinen, Dol Guldur, Durthang
- Updated city lists
- Added a new main menu with music.
- Added Civilopedia and Strategy texts to Units

v0.2.1 - 01/14/17
*Added Easterling unit art.
*Changed Select/Order sounds. Not Middle-earth voices, but much better than before.
*Changed Diplomacy Music. Enjoy!
*Updated Game Text (Civics)
*Updated the Traits for every leader

v0.2 - 7/11/15
*New map! Enjoy "Middle-earth Revised" as any of the 17 civs.
*Massive tech tree balancing: Cost, placement, and effects have all been improved.
*Civic/Building/Wonder/Units all balanced.
*Brand new Haradrim Ethnic unit art. Enjoy the desert raiders and Mumakil!

v0.1.1 - 8/22/14
*Patched the Mod - Many thanks to Isenchine
*Edited the map. Hope fully more balanced, but probably not. I will continue to work further on it
*Edited the Dwarven trait. It now provides +1 Food and +1 Hammer on Peaks.
*Added a new UnitClass for every civ: Heavy Axeman. The Dwarven UU is now named Battle Axeman, and replaces the Heavy Axeman.
*Weakened the Pikeman. It no longer receives a bonus versus Longswordsmen.
*Updated the Pikeman and Longswordsmen Tech requirements. They are now distinctly Third Age units.
*Hopefully fixed the AI obsession with Battering Rams - They no longer think they are as good as catapults!

v0.1
Uploaded Mod
*17 Civilizations Added.
*Unit art for (some) of the civilizations. [More to come]
*Completely revamped the tech tree.
*Added over 25 new wonders.
*Added many new buildings and civics.
*Added a map of Middle-earth by Manni.

----

Current Project(s):
>Game Text
>Balance
>Unit Art
>Regions

---

FAQ

Q: Are you finished? If not, when will you finish?

A: Although we're nowhere near finished, you may download the beta version of the mod here.

Q: Can I help with something?
A: Sure! I'm looking for building/unit art. Go ahead and suggest something.

Q: Will this mod have any special features?
A: Yes, many in the end. See the features list below.

Q: So, what is this mod based on? The movies or the books?
A: Both. Sometimes more the books than the movies.

Q: Is this based on FFH?
A: No. Some ideas are from the abandoned Arda mod.

----

Grey features have not yet been added. Red features will be added in the next update.

Features List:

• Unique Unit Art: Many civilizations will have different unit art. (Though common ones, such as Arnor & Gondor, or the elven civilizations, will have similar/identical art.)
  • Reworked Gameplay: There are just over 90 technologies (including vanilla ones such as Fishing), with new buildings, wonders, some new units types; basically, everything required for an accurate gameplay of Middle-earth!
  • Artifacts: These special one-time promotions will be very powerful. Examples include Narsil, The Rings of Power, and other such items. Artifacts can be stolen by defeating the bearer in battle.
  • The One Ring: This very special artifact will be forged only by Mordor at Mt. Doom. It will grant the bearer "power according to his stature", and (if he is not evil) it will eventually corrupt any bearer if he has it for too long. Thankfully, it also will grant him partial invisibility (i.e. a chance of being invisible to units). More details to come.
  • Unique Victory Conditions: Each civilization will be able to achieve victory by Culture, Conquest, or Domination, but there is also the option of winning your civilization's "UVC". These work like UHV's in Rhye's and Fall.
  • Regions: The map will divided up into regions, such as the Misty Mountains, Erebor, Ithilien, Mordor, The Shire, etc. These will be used for UHV and Wonder purposes.

----

Got a suggestion? Comment? Go ahead, post away!
the mod doesn't work for me

and how can anyone help you when you provide no details beyond "doesn't work"
sorry, you are right. practically once the mod is selected it tells me to restart the game but nothing happens. keep in mind that I'm Italian, I bought the game on steam

Steam has some issues with how mods are setup, glad you figured it out!
even following the guide i don't understand how to insert new units. i saw that there is a large collection of lord of the rings units and i would like to try to put them into the mod. do you have a guide that better explains all the steps for inserting new units?

even following the guide i don't understand how to insert new units. i saw that there is a large collection of lord of the rings units and i would like to try to put them into the mod. do you have a guide that better explains all the steps for inserting new units?
Do you mean the different art styles for each Civ?

It would be a lot of work to insert them yourself. You can of course learn modding to add them, but they will be updated into the main mod soon. When I finish Isengard I may release a new update for the mod.

Do you mean the different art styles for each Civ?

It would be a lot of work to insert them yourself. You can of course learn modding to add them, but they will be updated into the main mod soon. When I finish Isengard I may release a new update for the mod.
I mean how to put any unit into the game, not just the LOTR mod. I can't figure out how to do it. Only today I started reading in the forum for civ 4. I've always played Civ 3 and changed the rules and inserted units without problems, but for civ 4 it seems more difficult. can you tell me where i can see?

I mean how to put any unit into the game, not just the LOTR mod. I can't figure out how to do it. Only today I started reading in the forum for civ 4. I've always played Civ 3 and changed the rules and inserted units without problems, but for civ 4 it seems more difficult. can you tell me where i can see?
You need to use XML and files from art. It is more difficult than Civ3. You can watch some of the videos on my YouTube channel if you want to see how to get started.

There's also text tutorials here.

You need to use XML and files from art. It is more difficult than Civ3. You can watch some of the videos on my YouTube channel if you want to see how to get started.

yes, I tried to follow the text tutorials without success, that's why I didn't understand it. I don't know if it's better to create a mod folder with the modified xmls with all the units I want, or I can modify the original xml files of the game obviously keeping a backup copy. the problem is how to make the game read the mod only with the units inside the mod for example LOTR

I think I figured out how to insert units. the first test I did by creating a mod with only one unit, rohan swordsman and then I started a random game and it works without crashing. oh my god how much work there is to do if you want to insert many units. but I didn't understand if the AI can use that unit too or if only I can use it. how do you make sure that the unit belongs to a certain civilization?

Top Bottom