MilarNES: Birth of A Civilization

Uniform projects aren't the way to go. Allow the players to be creative about it, and have the benefits stack up after they're done.

for instance, I start a project "Hanging Gardens of Roosyuh" which is supposed to be some extremely complicated and extremely fertile huge farm that is capable of feeding bunches of peoples. I spend 1 moneys on it the turn I start the project, and you assign a total cost for the project. Say you asign 10 bucks to complete, so it's at 1/10. Next turn I spend 9 bucks to rush complete the project, and you figure that the idea behind the project, not to mention the story I wrote (It wasn't long, but it described how everything worked) was pretty good and given the circumstances of things you decide the project should raise my EP by 3.

That's how I'd go about doing things, anyways.. Otherwise you're going to have to make an extremely complext system of improvements or something, and might have to base it on cities. That would work, allowing projects like:

Granary(3 turns to build, cost 4 gold):Increases EP by 1
Temple(4 turns to build, cost 6 gold):Increases the cultural influence of cities
Market(3 turns to build, cost 8 gold:Increases EP by 2

etc... and allow each building to be build once per city, or something.

Not sure how you'd end up wanting to do it, but the first idea I gave really would be simpler.

Hanging Gardens is already a Wonder. However, your first idea was more or less what I wanted to do, my suggestions were just possibilities for all of you. Cities are only to be used when stating between which points will the trade routes go, there won't be any individual city improvement. Projects will be, as I said, something that must affect the whole nation at the same time, as a road system, a trading center or a net of religious schools, for example.

I am working right now on the Contemporary Age technologies, and the Tech Tree is up to Modern Age. This is what I have for Contemporary Age:

Alternative Energies: NEEDS ECOLOGY AND SATELLITES.
Basic Robotics: NEEDS ELECTRONICS AND MASS PRODUCTION.
Computers: NEEDS ELECTRONICS AND PLASTICS.
Ecology: NEEDS NUCLEAR POWER.
Electronics: NEEDS MASS PRODUCTION.
Fibre Optics: NEEDS LASER.
LASER: NEEDS NUCLEAR POWER AND ELECTRONICS.
Liquid Fuels: NEEDS NUCLEAR WEAPONRY. (ICBM!)
Mass Media: NEEDS ELECTRONICS AND RADIO.
Miniaturization: NEEDS COMPUTERS.
Nuclear Power: NEEDS FISSION.
Satellites: NEEDS SPACE FLIGHT.
Stealth: NEEDS SUPERSONIC FLIGHT.
Space Flight: NEEDS LIQUID FUELS AND ROCKETRY.
Supersonic Flight: NEEDS RADAR.

City improvements will make this NES abominably complicated and effectively make it a transposition of Civilization. Not an attractive prospect.

I agree, crezth.

I have introduced the Modern Age technologies. Bear in mind that, in this context, Modern Age refers to the period of time between 1900-1945, approximately.

Also, I officially state that there isn't going to be any Civ-like city development. All the non-tech-related economical development will be done through the wonders and the projects. The latter's cap of 2 per turn has been removed in order to make this more realistic. For what kind of projects you should do, you can see my post from a couple of minutes ago or Amon Savag's suggestion (the first, of course).

EDIT: When I ask for your help, it's because I need your help, don't go and think "Oh, well, somebody else will help him".

Here is a project i want to develop- you can maybe provide cost and benefits:

Caravanserai houses:
description
usually present along trade routes or at oasises or small villages
serve as hub for Babylonian culture and trade
serve as a local government representative (remember that the business of babylon is business so it makes sense for a government house to be a business center)
serve as a launching point for postal service to help administer far-flung territories
what i want it to do:
help territory growth so that when i say grow in this or that direction- the direction can be further then it otherwise would be,
spread culture,
provide economic growth

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Immac.

Here is a project i want to develop- you can maybe provide cost and benefits:

Caravanserai houses:
description
usually present along trade routes or at oasises or small villages
serve as hub for Babylonian culture and trade
serve as a local government representative (remember that the business of babylon is business so it makes sense for a government house to be a business center)
serve as a launching point for postal service to help administer far-flung territories
what i want it to do:
help territory growth so that when i say grow in this or that direction- the direction can be further then it otherwise would be,
spread culture,
provide economic growth

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Immac.

It's certainly a very good idea, and the most imaginative one I've ever seen (out of two... :sad:). As I said, you would have to spend some extra money as your empire expands, to simulate the introduction of your project to new places. For starters, I think it would cost 8 EC and give +1 culture/turn and +1 EC per level. Each level would cost 4 EC and would be the expansion of the houses into the important places of your nation.

@Everyone else (especially Abaddon): this is other possibility to improve your culture, apart from having to wait for Drama or rushing to get a wonder.

The solution is to give Arian a benefit which will match his loss. Growth points per turn is, in all honesty, negligible and will ultimately take dozens of turns to pay itself off. A one-time EC bonus of significant proportion would be optimal.

Well, with the new rule the GP won with Moai Statues (and everywhere else) are instead used to build Projects, as explained before. It certainly helps you to build them faster.

EDIT: Considering that the cost of the Moai Statues was 15 EC... perhaps a +5 EC bonus+3 Culture?

Currently waiting for opinions about:
- "Technology friendly exchange" (suggested by Arian): if one nation has a technology and a friendly, bordering nation doesn't, the latter's research on that technology is speeded.
Yes, but I think the effect should be greater on nations with better culture.
- Nuclear Weapons: do I make you build Silos to store the Nukes?
Yes, Certainly, and make it so every Nuke is 1 Upkeep!
- Tanks: Do I separate them in Light, Medium and Heavy Tanks or do I only use 1 unit called Tanks?
If you divvy it up, you make the game much more tactical. Maybe just Light Armour (Light tanks, ATPs, Humvees) and Tanks: Light armour is a sorta of a Cavalry but heavier than Motorized Infantry with more power while Tanks are for taking down strong fortifications ect.

On a side note about Super Nintendo Land:

It's currently Dai Nippon Teikoku. Much like the Holy Empire of Britannia is now the Britannian Republic.

I found a small but not insignificant colony in our local toystore! I suspect AS to be founder of this colony :lol:

=====================

Well, with the new rule the GP won with Moai Statues (and everywhere else) are instead used to build Projects, as explained before. It certainly helps you to build them faster.

EDIT: Considering that the cost of the Moai Statues was 15 EC... perhaps a +5 EC bonus+3 Culture?

Invest 15 EC to get 5 EC in return. No way :vomit:
I expected at least 20x3 GP from (= 60 EC for anyone else to invest in Economy)

Gimme a better deal :trouble:

There are a couple of Projects that will be uniform, although each person will be able to name it as they want it to.
- Silo: as stated before, you would have to build a Silo in order to store Nuclear Missiles and then ICBMs. In order to be able to store more Nukes, you have to improve it through payments (and Nukes will cost 1 update EACH, as it seems a good way to stop you from having lots of nukes).
- Spaceport: it would be the place from where the Space Rockets and then the Space Shuttles are thrown from. You could call it Cape Canaveral or Baikonur, it would be the same.
- Colony Pods: these would allow you to colonise and keep people alive in adverse places like the Moon, Mars or in the sea soil.

I found a small but not insignificant colony in our local toystore! I suspect AS to be founder of this colony :lol:
Don't understand this one.

Invest 15 EC to get 5 EC in return. No way :vomit:
I expected at least 20x3 GP from (= 60 EC for anyone else to invest in Economy)
Gimme a better deal :trouble:

1 GP would not have been equal to 1 EC. Let's say that you start with the 6 EC. You would have needed 9 GPs to get only 1 EC, and that if you didn't get any EC boosts from the techs. Those 60 GPs might not have reached the 5 EC I am willing to give you.

I think that 5 EC and 3 Culture is far more fair. It would give you quite a lot of money for many turns.

Building silos, I think, overcomplicates things. However you should add nuclear upkeep.

1 GP would not have been equal to 1 EC. Let's say that you start with the 6 EC. You would have needed 9 GPs to get only 1 EC, and that if you didn't get any EC boosts from the techs. Those 60 GPs might not have reached the 5 EC I am willing to give you.

I think that 5 EC and 3 Culture is far more fair. It would give you quite a lot of money for many turns.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Do you mean 5 EC added to my base EC, which is 6 EC atm?

And investing in Economy = 1 EC/GP!!

Arian, take the deal and run!

Milarqui, he's talking about a Super Nintendo Colony in his toystore, I believe. The reaches of my country in this NES far surpasses this NES alone... Super Nintendo Land has colonies everywhere in the real world.

Arian- thats better then anything else out there right now AND you get culture... you just became THE super-power.

Arian, take the deal and run!

Milarqui, he's talking about a Super Nintendo Colony in his toystore, I believe. The reaches of my country in this NES far surpasses this NES alone... Super Nintendo Land has colonies everywhere in the real world.

I just bumped into that Mario guy!

Top Bottom