[MOD] Colonization: 2071

It might be a balance issue with game length. (Longer games have larger city capacities and demands I think) It might also be that you need to build a warehouse building in order to store enough stuff for the task at hand.

If memory serves me stuff gets auto sold at a low price when you are over your storage limit in a city for a product.

Yeah, I think there is a mechanic for that at-or-near max storage, but this is happening right from the start of a new colony. In the screenshot below, you can see that I have a warehouse and am producing 3 hydrocarbons per turn, but if you check the event log in the image, you can see that it's selling 2 per turn. At this rate, I can't even really do research because I can't keep enough in stock. When I transfer one at a time to my capital, New Mecca, it gets sold there as well.

New Jakarta only has 30 Hard Currency, but it keeps selling 1 per turn as well.

upload_2016-12-14_13-18-3.png

I'm hoping it's just a setting in the XML that I can hunt for as it's not really playable with this issue.

I don't think it is a setting in the xml, it has been a long time since I played and I know 2071 was a few versions back compared to other mods..

I am trying to think if there was an 'auto sell' button or something like that somewhere that might be set to something like 'sell all' but I just can't remember!

Hey, glad to see people still playing the 2071 mod! :king::borg::)

The mod uses the Domestic Economy Modcomp by Kailric which lets local Buildings consume Yields (like Hydrocarbons etc) to generate cash. This is particularly useful when playing Alien Empires, as they can use their internal economy to convert their products to money before they manage to start trading with Earth. (There is also a separate mechanism for selling "overflow storage" goods through market buildings like the Ziggurat and Space Elevator).

If you're wanting to instead use a Yield for research, I think you can set Colonists to work in the Research Lab (or equivalent) on the relevant project, and they should use the Yield for research before it gets sold for cash - is this not working as intended? If so I can see that would get frustrating.

If you'd like to inactivate buildings consuming Yields, it could be done by editing Mods/2071/Assets/XML/Buildings/CIV4BuildingInfos.xml to remove this (i.e. deleting sections starting with <YieldDemands> and ending with </YieldDemands> ). I attached an edited file you can unzip and drop into Mods/2071/Assets/XML/Buildings, let me know if it works. :scan: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• CIV4BuildingInfos.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
If you'd like to inactivate buildings consuming Yields, it could be done by editing Mods/2071/Assets/XML/Buildings/CIV4BuildingInfos.xml to remove this (i.e. deleting sections starting with <YieldDemands> and ending with </YieldDemands> ). I attached an edited file you can unzip and drop into Mods/2071/Assets/XML/Buildings, let me know if it works. :scan: :thumbsup:
Be aware that the vanilla approach is to save data like that in the savegames. This means changing xml data and then loading a savegame will make the game behave oddly. I haven't checked this particular part of the code, but odds are that it follows the vanilla approach. I have spent quite a while getting M:C to not save caches like that and instead recalculate on load to match new xml settings (and reduce savegame size as a bonus). However this won't affect the current version of Colonization 2071.

Hey, glad to see people still playing the 2071 mod! :king::borg::)

The mod uses the Domestic Economy Modcomp by Kailric which lets local Buildings consume Yields (like Hydrocarbons etc) to generate cash. This is particularly useful when playing Alien Empires, as they can use their internal economy to convert their products to money before they manage to start trading with Earth. (There is also a separate mechanism for selling "overflow storage" goods through market buildings like the Ziggurat and Space Elevator).

If you're wanting to instead use a Yield for research, I think you can set Colonists to work in the Research Lab (or equivalent) on the relevant project, and they should use the Yield for research before it gets sold for cash - is this not working as intended? If so I can see that would get frustrating.

Yes, that works. Thanks!

It did seem that, if you were researching something, it wouldn't sell the required resource. In this case though, the resource was being gathered in a different colony. Since that colony had no research going on, it was selling 2 of every 3 being produced every turn, making it near impossible to maintain a supply for the colony doing the research.

If you're going to make another release of this mod at some point, could you consider maybe moving the call to GC.getDefineINT("CIVICOPTION_INVENTIONS") in CvPlot::calculateNatureYield out of the loop (the one over civic infos)? I assume that the return value of that call can never change while within that loop, but that the compiler can't figure it out. I did a little bit of profiling, and excessive calls to that method seem to be the culprit to selecting units (at least units that can found colonies, I think) stopping the UI thread for a little while. That made the game just not fun to play for me because it felt glitchy and wrong. I've fixed my own DLL but it would be nice if other players could enjoy a better-running Colonization 2071.

There is no need to profile. The DLL has been abandoned. Instead the mod will move to use the DLL file from Medieval Conquest, which in turn is being changed into moving design decisions into xml to keep the different mods unique and not just end up with reskins. I have given the M:C DLL a major overhaul to fix all the performance issues I could find as well as (presumably) fixing a lot of bugs and design limitations. The lat major change (not in a release yet) is merging the code for civics, techs, traits and so on, meaning all those have the tags from all of those files. This gives the xml modders much greater freedom, but it's also rewritten a significant part from scratch to be cached based, meaning stuff like the loop in CvPlot::calculateNatureYield has turned into asking for an int from CvPlayer.

Hi :) It’s been awhile since I played through the original version, but I was able to finish the game with it (despite some intermittent stability issues with the old DLL code base I was never able to figure out.) Give it a try and let us know what you think! :assimilate:

I tried some of the mod, but despite its huge potential it turns out there's still lots to be done to get this mod to a finished state. Some screens still refer to Europe and the New World. I was quite disappointed since the concept of this mod was very appealing to me and the effort put into it seems clear. It's simply not really complete yet though.

Once this game is in active development once more, I'll actively follow it because I love what this mod sets out to do and the execution seems very solid. Keep me updated :)

Once this game is in active development once more
Development is still active, though it's kind of invisible on the forum. The issue is the DLL design is flawed. The inexperienced hobbyist programmers managed to get the features working, but the speed suffers. Also there are planned features, which aren't in the mod because "nobody knew how to do it".

Now we have active development of We The People (another mod). The programming skills involved are downright professional (hobbyist programmers are still welcome though). The speed is lightning fast in comparison. It looks a whole lot better when it comes to bugs and avoiding bugs in the future.

The solution for Colonization 2071 is to ditch the flawed DLL and use the one from We The People. Adding support for what is needed for Colonization 2071 is easier than fixing the current DLL file and more than one mod will benefit from it. This means I'm currently opening up for adding all the needed features in the DLL. Done right and multiple mods can share the same code without moving towards being reskins of each other.

This means if you want to keep track of the Colonization 2071 development, take a look at the We The People development.

Nice! I'll certainly keep an eye on this mod's development and will check out We The People tonight.

So, while We The People isn't a mod I'm personally interested in, I do really hope its advanced editing will get merged with 2071's potential. That would be very awesome! Keep up the good work!

In the Colonization 2071 mod, although I researched for "Metadimensional Theory" and "Orbital operations" that allows "Intrepid archaeologist" and "Corvette" respectively in the research advisor, the specilist and the ship were not available for purchase on "Earth". On the other hand, I researched "Soil enrichment" and the "Expert Farmer" unit was available for purchase. Is there an error in my save or what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Space2.ColonizationSave
    290.6 KB · Views: 237
Hello. I tried to download the mod, but all links do not work. Please check links for download on first post. Thanks.

@orlanth is not really active anymore. :sad:

He rarely still shows up here in the Civfanatics forum or our internal Civ4Col modders community.
So waiting for him could take really long ... (probalby months).

So if somebody else still has the mod, it would most likely be best to simply upload it again - and give clear credits to @orlanth.
(Personally I do not have the mod anymore though ...)

Top Bottom