[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the Discworld world series by Terry Pratchett but one of the night watch is actually an athiest in a world where gods walk around. Apparently it helps to be lightning resistant

Nice, I was actually about to quote Pratchett myself. I don't remember exactly how it goes, but at one point in one of the books it is mentioned that "It is generally a good idea to recognize the existence of the divine in a world where Gods are in the habit of appearing outside the houses of atheists and smash their windows":)
We most certainly need more Pratchett references, I agree.

Civkid1991 said:
They're not playable yet and if you look at the post with the civ details it says they are a minor civ... which means they aren't playable. If im remembering correctly i think there's another civ thats "hidden" from the choices.

Ups. Missed that.
But you wrote "yet" so they will be playable some time, I hope.
Until then I can have fun with the balseraph and the order of blood.

I've got another idea for the game. Maybe its a little too late for that, since many untis are already made...

My idea is not to have new kinds of units to be available as soon as you've the right technology and resources, but having the opiton to equip the old ones with different stuff to enhance them. So you could equip a warrior with a bow to make him an archer (+city def) or with a axe/mace to make him a better against melee units(here copper for axe and iron for mace or something similar to see a evolution). Give him Horses to be a horseman (+move) and additional bow to ake him a horsearcher (+first strikes or mabe city defense). Armorparts like Helmets, Mails, Gloves and Boots should enhance the overall strength and be classified as leather (with pig or cow) bronze, Iron and mithril. All theese upgrades should cost money and maybe experience to get.

I could find hundreds of ideas what kind of equipment to put into the game.
*g* you see, I'm a roleplaying dude...

Opinions?

-War Chicken

War Chicken said:
Ups. Missed that.

-War Chicken

Infernals, Mercurians, Ilians and Svartalfar (Did I miss out on someone?) are AFAIK minor civs, that will never be playable. As I've come to understand it they are something of antagonists and aren't balanced for players. Wasn't there some limitation in the number of major/playable civs that made the minor civs "unplayable"? If they were to be implemented it would be at the cost of some of the major civs.

You forgot the Sidar. And all (or most, at least) are planned to be playable sooner or later.

And while you have a point with the hardcoded limit of civs, it's likely that Warlords will raise this limit. Just like PTW and Conquests did with CivIII.

I just have a curious question, I'm not trying to rush you or anything, but after how many new versions will you be at phase fire? Also, what version do you think most of the AI updates will be in? Again, great job with the mod.

War Chicken said:
Ups. Missed that.

I've got another idea for the game. Maybe its a little too late for that, since many untis are already made...

My idea is not to have new kinds of units to be available as soon as you've the right technology and resources, but having the opiton to equip the old ones with different stuff to enhance them. So you could equip a warrior with a bow to make him an archer (+city def) or with a axe/mace to make him a better against melee units(here copper for axe and iron for mace or something similar to see a evolution). Give him Horses to be a horseman (+move) and additional bow to ake him a horsearcher (+first strikes or mabe city defense). Armorparts like Helmets, Mails, Gloves and Boots should enhance the overall strength and be classified as leather (with pig or cow) bronze, Iron and mithril. All theese upgrades should cost money and maybe experience to get.

I could find hundreds of ideas what kind of equipment to put into the game.
*g* you see, I'm a roleplaying dude...

Opinions?

-War Chicken

I dont think this would work out. THis is Civ with an RPG twist but not that kind of rpg. Besides if you go through the game what you think of as equipting is exactly the same as upgradeing. Say i have an adept... if i upgrade it or as you see it equip a staff then it becomes a mage. Upgrading it much better wouldnt you say?

~CivKid~

Possibly Light will be pre Warlords. But we will see how the compability works, or if/and how bad Warlords screws the SDK.

I would rather not update the mod to Warlords immediatly as there might be one patch that might break the SDK again. And it also depends on the release of the Warlords SDK.

Civkid1991 said:
I was thinking about that. Who comes up witht the stories? (Kael?) Who ever it is i would have to give 3 thumbs up to :)goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: ) The stories are great. Personally i like the story i mentioned above and the ones about Ethne the White, Hannah the Irin, and Alexis The Vampire Queen (or was it princess?).:)

Corlindale, Wilboman and I write all the leader/civ pedia entries (and one by Nikis-Knight), though the ones you mentioned (Os-Gabella, Hannah, Ethne and Alexis) were written by me.

Kael said:
Corlindale, Wilboman and I write all the leader/civ pedia entries (and one by Nikis-Knight), though the ones you mentioned (Os-Gabella, Hannah, Ethne and Alexis) were written by me.

Cool I love your stories. Hope to see some more Leader pedia entries in the next versions.:) I cant wait to see the background of the other leaders and the story behind thier civs and how the religion playes a role in thier state of Evilness or Goodness.

Keep up the good Work!:goodjob:

Unser Giftzwerg said:
I can't imagine any atheists in a world where gods are known to actually toss thunderbolts and seduce virginal young maids. Who is going to actively deny the existance of gods, when one of them might be waiting for you around the corner in a dark alley?Agnosticism is pretty hard to swallow too - who will claim there is no way of knowing for sure the He Who Must Not Be Named truely exists, when all one has to do is speak the name of He Who Must Not Be Named and thereby obtain irrefutable direct proof (briefly, before one's soul is eaten) that He Who Must Not Be Named does, in point of fact, exist? - but the term agnosticism can at least be understood as a philosophy that all that god worship is bound to eventually be bad for one's health, so we're staying away, thank you very much. But atheism is right out!

Yeah, there are no atheists of any consequence in FfH. Cassiel and the Grigori age Agnostic, meaning its not that they disbelieve in the gods, but that they dont care. Cassiel himself is an angel, formorly in the service of Dagda he abandoned his charge to protect humanity. He was crucial in the creation of the compact (the agreement that stopped the direct war between the gods and end the Age of Dragons). But when the gods negotiated they agreed that they should be able to act through men (within certain limits) which Cassiel disagreed with. He though they should retreat from creation entirely and leave man to form the world himself.

When the compact was signed, Cassiel "fell" (gave up his angelic role for a life in creation) and began teaching men that they could exist without the gods and decide their own fate.

Kael said:
Yeah, there are no atheists of any consequence in FfH. Cassiel and the Grigori age Agnostic, meaning its not that they disbelieve in the gods, but that they dont care. Cassiel himself is an angel, formorly in the service of Dagda he abandoned his charge to protect humanity. He was crucial in the creation of the compact (the agreement that stopped the direct war between the gods and end the Age of Dragons). But when the gods negotiated they agreed that they should be able to act through men (within certain limits) which Cassiel disagreed with. He though they should retreat from creation entirely and leave man to form the world himself.

When the compact was signed, Cassiel "fell" (gave up his angelic role for a life in creation) and began teaching men that they could exist without the gods and decide their own fate.
This sounds interesting, maybe you guys should write a book, you certainly have great ideas and talent for putting them on "paper" :D

Duane_Loone said:
Well, I for one is in the middle of a game that's been going on for 10+ hours, with my dear friend thealien_83. We're still in 0.13 though :)

Playing as the Grigori, I have managed to turn them into a Culture producing powerhouse. Though, I have to say, it's hard to compete with the benefits the other civs get from religion. I have to bust some serious ass, but it's perfectly doable.

What is this.. ~culture~ you speak of..? In the lands of the Calabim we know not of such things. Is it not enough that the cattle is well fed, and the aristocracy of the Order of Blood has playthings and morsels aplenty to keep them sated? I should think so!

Damn hassle of a game it is too. Playing as the Calabim I founded the Veil, and now everybody hates me. I kid you not. Aside from Duane's Grigori EVERY other Civ has Annoyed or Furious towards me, either due to my alignment, religion, magic, or any combination thereof. :p

It's tough to be the King, or something.

I've had so many defensive actions where I've survived by the skin of my teeth it's not even funny to count them any more. *s*

Although some amusing things have come out of it, such as 'Maleficius the terrible, Dark Lord of the Order of Blood, Guardian of Riylod, Scourge of the Malakim and Bane of Chalid, Hemah and Saverous! '
And also a rather amusing gentleman. When he realized that the city he was leading the defense of was starving, he decided to be merciful and eat a percentage of the population himself so as to not keep the city starving.

But yeah, to back up what Duane said, we do play multiplayer. Just not random games online, because those don't tend to satisfy what I look for in a game. So I generally play with a circle of friends who enjoy the game.

Although as soon as we finish our current 0.13 one I'll be rambling one into the glorious world of 0.14. *s*

Cheers!

Is there any way to establish an exploration pattern for AI? It seems that there should be two types of exploration patterns; 1) Current random linear path & 2) Circular (& expanding) exploration.

Just a thought. I send out an explorer to go out and find the goodie huts and I'm pretty happy with the first option of getting distance from the home base. But I also want to know what my local surroundings are so option 2 would be great.

Another thought on exploration, should the information they find; the maps and the huts and the other civs existence and location really just automatically show up and be transferred back to the main civ? OR should you have to get that explorer back to one of your cities (or settlements?) I think I remember reading something like this for pillaging or maybe it was pirates??

hawkeye72 said:
Is there any way to establish an exploration pattern for AI? It seems that there should be two types of exploration patterns; 1) Current random linear path & 2) Circular (& expanding) exploration.

Just a thought. I send out an explorer to go out and find the goodie huts and I'm pretty happy with the first option of getting distance from the home base. But I also want to know what my local surroundings are so option 2 would be great.

Another thought on exploration, should the information they find; the maps and the huts and the other civs existence and location really just automatically show up and be transferred back to the main civ? OR should you have to get that explorer back to one of your cities (or settlements?) I think I remember reading something like this for pillaging or maybe it was pirates??

As my scouts never survive the trip home...id say no. BUt thats purely preferential.
-Qes

QES said:
As my scouts never survive the trip home...id say no. BUt thats purely preferential.
-Qes

I remember in one of your earlier posts you were talking about graveyards... Maybe we could have these graveyards only in barb territory (pops up one random tiles, not very often however). When scouts come along (or scout upgrades) and could "pillage" the graveyard. The scout and the civ wouldnt get what was pilleged right then however (so they would be like grave robbers). The scout would get (maybe) a special promotion that would show you and other civs they have something from the grave. When the unite gets back to the capital (or maybe someother city? Place of origin?) and then they could get the prize. This prize would be a large sum of gold or something like that due to the treats that are out to prevent them from geting back to their city.

~CivKid~

Civkid1991 said:
I remember in one of your earlier posts you were talking about graveyards... Maybe we could have these graveyards only in barb territory (pops up one random tiles, not very often however). When scouts come along (or scout upgrades) and could "pillage" the graveyard. The scout and the civ wouldnt get what was pilleged right then however (so they would be like grave robbers). The scout would get (maybe) a special promotion that would show you and other civs they have something from the grave. When the unite gets back to the capital (or maybe someother city? Place of origin?) and then they could get the prize. This prize would be a large sum of gold or something like that due to the treats that are out to prevent them from geting back to their city.

~CivKid~

That is a down right clever idea. A promotion thats usable only in cities but gained outside of cities. This sounds like a great way to make quests function. Special improvments scattered (or created by barbarians) around the world, with or without protection, and upon pillaging them the recieval of a promotion that must be brought back to town to be benifited from. Whatever that benefit might be.

I dig it. I dig it good.
-Qes

QES said:
That is a down right clever idea. A promotion thats usable only in cities but gained outside of cities. This sounds like a great way to make quests function. Special improvments scattered (or created by barbarians) around the world, with or without protection, and upon pillaging them the recieval of a promotion that must be brought back to town to be benifited from. Whatever that benefit might be.

I dig it. I dig it good.
-Qes

Another thing that i thought should be a quest/mission is something that's aready in the game. I remeber in the civpedia theres something on a wonder called the dragon hoard(?). When ever i play and the barbs make the red dragon (allowing them to get access to the dragon hoard wonder) i feel that its my duty as a major civ to purge the land of the dragon and convert the city. Doing so i would also gain posetion of the dragon hoard. After its done i have the feeling that i compleated a great mission. Maybe this was originally an idea of a quest. I do remember something about the dragons and the gods fighting. And isn't that why the dragon religion is just a cult and not a full blown religion?

Civkid1991 said:
Another thing that i thought should be a quest/mission is something that's aready in the game. I remeber in the civpedia theres something on a wonder called the dragon hoard(?). When ever i play and the barbs make the red dragon (allowing them to get access to the dragon hoard wonder) i feel that its my duty as a major civ to purge the land of the dragon and convert the city. Doing so i would also gain posetion of the dragon hoard. After its done i have the feeling that i compleated a great mission. Maybe this was originally an idea of a quest. I do remember something about the dragons and the gods fighting. And isn't that why the dragon religion is just a cult and not a full blown religion?

When the red dragon appears it automatically has the horde. Hence why the dragon city tends to have a LOT of culture. I saw a rivals city being crushed by its culture. It's pretty hard to conquer the dragon city through culture...it usually takes military forces...sometimes its easy sometimes its not, i recomend ensuring your going to kill it, the first time you attack it, and with only ONE unit. Fear is a pain in the tukus. And it gets beefy too quickly for my liking :p.
-Qes

Top Bottom