Patricius

Dominus de Bellum
GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod

Name: GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod
Version: 1.0
Release Date: 5-21-06
Author: Patricius and TheLopez
Short Description:
Whenever a great person, such as a great artist or prophet is born in any of YOUR cities, a window will popup, showing you a picture and a quote from the great person.Also, when all unique names are used a up, a civ-specific random name will be used with a generic picture.
Credits:
Snoopy, for starting this mod
RobO for helping smooth out code of CustomEventManger
TheLopez for renamer mod
Scottcstoness for his work on fixing pinkscreen problem
Much thanks to Tableist and Alerum68 for helping find quotes

Download Link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2618

Make sure you read the installation instructions carefully.

GreatGeneral Graphics: Also, if you use the Great General Amped mod and this mod: Rabbit, White has created a little add-on to give graphics for the Great Generals. The link is Here

Description
After many wrong turns and dead ends, the first release of GreatPersonMod with RenamerMod is complete. Although very similar to TheGreatPersonMod, which contain around 170 pics and quotes of the most famous people throughout histroy, this mod adds many new features which really complete the mod.

Moses.jpg Lavoisier.jpg

Among these are TheLopez's Renamer mod, which when used with Generic Pics, eleminates those pink screens at the end of the game that appear once all the Unique names are used up.

This mod also is now much more compatible with other mods. The Custom Event Manager is used, and all changes have been noted, for better merging.
Also, if you want to add extra great people's names in the XML, it is much easier to use this mod with it. If you also provide a picture, it will load the provided picture, otherwise, it will just load the generic picture. You only have to add new XML names, you don't have to do anything with the artwork unless you want to, and if you do, they just have to stick the right image in the GreatPeople directory.

It is also easier If you want to add new great people types. Assuming you do it properly, so you have type UNIT_GENERAL, for example, then if you give them names and add pictures, it should find them, if there are no pictures, it will use the "Great General.dds" file, assuming you provide that, and if you don't, it will use the "Great Person.dds" file.

GreatEngineer.jpg

All in all, this release is finally worthy to be called complete, and, I hope that you will enjoy the historical immersion that this adds to the game. So Please comment on what you think, and what you think could improve this even more.

Install Instructions:
-------------------------
Unzip the contents into Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\MODS
Run GreatPersonArtPath .bat file by clicking on it.(Very Important to do)This file is located inside the folder, where the .ini file is.
It is important that you run this .bat file once, or the mod will not work. It is the only way i could get the mod to accept different pics once the unique names run out.

Running the Mod
---------------------
1. Start Civilization IV
2. From the menu, go to advanced, then click on Load a Mod
3. Load GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod
4. Civilization IV will restart
5. Start a game as usual

Note that everytime you want to play your game, Civilization IV will have to restart and load the mod.

The file size of this Mod is roughly 43mb. (17mb compressed)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GreatPersonModv2.01​

GreatPersonMod v2.01 by Patricius (Original Idea and much of the code by Snoopy) Thanks to RobO and TheLopez for help with the Python.This is without the RenamerMod

UPDATED FOR Civ4 v1.61

Download Link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2617

What this Mod does:
--------------------------

Whenever a great person, such as a great artist or prophet is born in any of YOUR cities, a window will popup, showing you a picture and a quote from the great person.
Like These pics show:
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/862/harkuf0010tm.jpg
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/5042/archimedes0013uv.jpg

Install Instructions:
-------------------------
Unzip the contents into Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\MODS
(Just Overwrite the Great PersonMOD in there if you have installed the other one.)

Running the Mod
---------------------
1. Start Civilization IV
2. From the menu, go to advanced, then click on Load a Mod
3. Load Great People Mod
4. Civilization IV will restart
5. Start a game as usual

Note that everytime you want to play your game, Civilization IV will have to restart and load the mod.

The file size of this Mod is roughly 17mb.

Downloading it now and will install it tonight.:) Didn't realize it was going to be so large though... is probably better to keep it on FileFront instead of CFC just because of the size. I'll have to do the same thing with mine once I add yours into it now.:p If all goes well, I'm going to add this into my compulation in the next few days.:) I may have it as a second version, ie- Full and Lite version. Either way, I see this being a very popular MOD.

Can't wait to try this out tonight. I'm thinking of doing a version integrated with the Great General mod too.

Patricius said:
Hummm....

I was playtesting the mod and it seems that something in alerum's unaltered mod conflicts with this mod and poof* no pop-ups! I uninstalled Alerum's and it worked. So I am going to have to see what is going on...if anyone else can help me understand...I would appreciate it...especially alerum.

Patricius

Give me a few hours, and I should have it all working. Is probably related to my having "The Great Person" MOD installed. If it is what I was worried about, then I'm going to have to do some more modifications to have it merge properly... If I edit your file, do you want a copy of it?

Alerum,
I think I figured out where the conflict may lie. It seems that both the New Game Graph and GPMod have a CvEventInterface file...just to help you out. I will try to combine them and see if it works.

Patricius

EDIT: Never Mind...I don't know why it is conflicting with your mod.

Thanks for the updates Patricius, works like a charm! I haven't tried it with other mods yet, but ran a new game for about three hours with it installed. I used the world builder to beef up four cities chances of producing a great person, then let it run.

Only one time did I miss a popup, as one of the other leaders popped up asking for open borders and came up right in front of the popup. Don't know if there's a way to make it hold until other events have occured.

Some great quotes in there. We're all gonna be so educated I can't stand it!

Thanks again!

hmmm,, what resolution do you play at.. ??
When I get the pop-up its MUCH larger than those you posted and way off-center..:crazyeye:
And is the 1.52 patch required for the MOD ??

Thanks

This mod looks great and I enjoyed the first three of the pop-ups. Unfortuantely, it crashes my computer, which I suppose isn't too surprising since my computer is under-specification (the graphics card doesn't have T&L rendering). But the normal game plays fine, except for jerky movies and white eyes.

Anyway, a while ago over in the ideas and suggestions forum I started a thread on adding atmosphere to great people. I thought you might want to check it out:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=146612

-- The Hypnotoad

ACEofHeart said:
hmmm,, what resolution do you play at.. ??
When I get the pop-up its MUCH larger than those you posted and way off-center..:crazyeye:
And is the 1.52 patch required for the MOD ??

Thanks

I get the same problem Ace. Off center and quite large. It has the added effect of blurring the image.

yeah,, looks like only playing at 1280 resolution ( or higher I guess ) will it be centered on the screen.
Why it still comes up blurry is probably video card related..
I have PCI Radeon 9250 256mb and it comes up blurry for me too..:sad:

Looks good. Just one thing: pictures for Al-Razi and Abu Bakr are still mixed up with one another.

And just an idea to share - there is a disproportional number of different types of great people born. I've seen Harkuf born in industrial age, while by that time the game is out of names for great scientists. Most GP lists are quite sufficient, while scientists could really use about a double increase in numbers. I could make that myself if you'd post a template for scroll popup, or, if you're interested I could do some name/quote hunting.

ACEofHeart said:
yeah,, looks like only playing at 1280 resolution ( or higher I guess ) will it be centered on the screen.
Why it still comes up blurry is probably video card related..
I have PCI Radeon 9250 256mb and it comes up blurry for me too..:sad:

I'm running a geforce 6600gt 128mb. Don't usually get things blurry on it. Monitor isn't the greatest though. I play on my wife's computer until I get a new case for min. Her monitor is 17in. LCD so I can't make the res as high as I would like.

Likely it's the original image files. I'll see if I can do anything with them on mine.

Thanks again for the mod patricius!

Is it possible to transfer this 'mod that has to be loaded' into a mod that's just available in the my games folder? (and thus automaticly always works)?

That mod looks really great. :)
Btw, I would like to support MrUnderhill's and CyberShy's request. It would be nice if you could help us here.

CellKu

Top Bottom