[MOD] MongooseMod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's keep the bugs rolling! :)

• The icons for the Market and Grocer are swapped.
  • During a Golden Age, the bonus +1:hammer: and +1:commerce: are displayed in the hovers for tiles outside your cultural borders, but the icons shown on the map remain correctly unmodified.

I didn't know that. I assumed it was Sevo given its name, but we've already established that you're an odd bird. :mischief:

Sevo wrote the original version, and it was updated by a number of other people into the Warlords period. I did a fairly extensive overhaul/rewrite for BTS once that came out since no one else was doing it. See the Sevopedia ReadMe's version history and/or the last page or two of the original Sevopedia thread in the Components forum.

In any case, that animals can enter your lands and destroy your cities should probably be fairly prominent in the README.

I'm working on it, damnit. :p

But there are some key features of BULL that I find hard to live without, primarily the extra city bar hover info. Given that your target player segment is multiplayer, swiping that one feature from BULL's setCityBarHelp() would fit perfectly. With it you rarely have to enter the city screen, and when time is critical, avoiding that screen is quite helpful.

I've always used the city screen... never really occured to me you could do it any other way. Alright, I'll look into this as well.

Quick question: Desert causes damage to units. Am I going to #$&% myself by settling in it?

Cities have a base heal rate of 20% (down from 25% in vanilla), and can gain an additional 10% from a Training Grounds and Barracks both being present. Founding on Desert, Tundra or Snow will reduce this with their damage effects, but it will still be a positive heal rate.

Werewolves . . . Okay, that's cute. They're strength 3 so no big deal.

I'm actually not thrilled with the Werewolf myself, but I needed something with the strength of a Bear and the speed of a Wolf to keep things interesting and there weren't that many options to choose from.

Strength 20 regenerating Jungle Sandworms . . . Seriously? :lol:

The barbs are limited to two Sandworms worldwide. They can only spawn on Desert and will not leave Desert unless pursuing a unit. (This means they have nothing to do with Jungles, btw. ;)) They also cannot capture cities. I'm willing to nerf their strength a little, maybe to 16, if necessary but they are there as the land equivalent of the sea monsters and are meant to throw a little terror and excitement into the world. It's a slightly more dangerous and interesting place than the real Earth, but all these additions are more-or-less biologically feasible imo, so I still feel comfortable claiming it's not a Fantasy mod (there's no magic, for example).

[*]The icons for the Market and Grocer are swapped.

That one was intentional; I felt they fit their respective buildings better this way. (Plus the icons and building models both were backwards anyway back in the old days of vanilla, which is what I became used to before they switched them on us.)

[*]During a Golden Age, the bonus +1:hammer: and +1:commerce: are displayed in the hovers for tiles outside your cultural borders, but the icons shown on the map remain correctly unmodified.

You mean, remain incorrectly unmodified? I have no idea why this would be happening, as I've never changed anything related to the effects of Golden Ages except their base duration. It might just be a display bug, but okay, thanks.

Werewolves . . . Okay, that's cute. They're strength 3 so no big deal.

Strength 20 regenerating Jungle Sandworms . . . Seriously? :lol:

It also has giant turtles and reptiles (at least unit graphics). :p

Actually this has been sg I am still debating over for some time now: if I would add a Stone Age to my mod, would it be justified to add animals from tales/legends to it for that Era? I actually had an idea that legendary animals like Dragons, Chimera, Griffins, Giant Turtles would be there for the Stone Age, and when you get to Ancient Age(or some techs that demistifies those beasties) they suddenly turn to Bears, Panthers, Lions, etc. This would represent how different people from different ages/advancement would see those animals. Well, actually I think I will do sg like that;)

Well that's certainly an interesting idea, but as I just said I'm taking the "what could conceivably really happen in an extreme version of Earth" approach. Good luck with it though. What is sg btw?

*ahem* Sorry to have to interrupt, but if I could get you guys to continue this discussion in the shiny new... *drumroll*... MongooseMod subforum (which I was apparently premature in predicting would not poof into existence), that'd be great. Thanks. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=388

I've always used the city screen... never really occured to me you could do it any other way. Alright, I'll look into this as well.

Most of what you'd need to check in a city to make a build decision is now located on the city bar hover. The city screen doesn't take too long to open, but it's a lot easier if you don't have to. Here are some screenshots from a very early version:

The barbs are limited to two Sandworms worldwide. They can only spawn on Desert and will not leave Desert unless pursuing a unit. (This means they have nothing to do with Jungles, btw. ;))

One came from the jungle to the North but went back the same way (phew!). It has been killing 1-5 units per turn in Native America for about 40 turns now. It's rather entertaining, though the sound is a little jarring. Obviously I started at too low a difficulty level as I wasn't sure how different the mod was from Vanilla. The sea turtle only seems to kill a unit every 10 turns or so. :)

That one was intentional; I felt they fit their respective buildings better this way.

I suppose the way Civ4 chose the benefits makes it impossible to line up the icons exactly. The new Market icon is a butcher's block covered with meat yet it provides :) from non-meat animal products: tusks, silk, whale oil, etc. Whereas the Grocer provides :health: for non-animal products. I guess the Market is closer as you said. But when I think of a market I don't think of a butcher. I associate a butcher with a grocer. No matter. It just takes a little getting used to, just like the rearranging of the build icons (military before civilian units).

You mean, remain incorrectly unmodified?

I suppose there's no right way. Vanilla doesn't modify the tile yields outside your cultural borders, presumably because a GA only increases the yields inside your borders. It doesn't really matter: if you settle there, you'll get the higher yields.

There is an odd display bug in vanilla that I've never tried to track down. Very rarely when I exit a GA some of the on-map tile yields do not revert to their normal values. The game works fine and you get the normal values, but the map continues to display boosted values. I think it resets after you restart/reload, but I don't remember (it's that rare).

Edit: Sorry, fired this off before I read up the two posts written while I was writing this one. I'll gladly continue discussion over there.

BTW, I was sad to see no Sabre Tooth Tigers (which actually existed though I'm blanking on their correct name). The Mastodon (think you called it Mammoth?) was a nice addition. Very scary to have this thing tromping through my territory.

Well that's certainly an interesting idea, but as I just said I'm taking the "what could conceivably really happen in an extreme version of Earth" approach. Good luck with it though. What is sg btw?

I *thought* is was a legal abbreviation for "something", but apparently it's not? :)

*ahem* Sorry to have to interrupt, but if I could get you guys to continue this discussion in the shiny new... *drumroll*... MongooseMod subforum (which I was apparently premature in predicting would not poof into existence), that'd be great. Thanks. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=388

Oh, you lucky *censored*! ;)

I want an historical document (woohoo, Galaxy Quest reference) I can point to in the future to prove certain things that were my cool and original ideas, really were mine, for those mods trying to use them without giving me credit.

* making Ancient Temple, Geothermal Vent and Methane Ice unharvestable resources (though Methane can still be tile-improved with an Extractor) so they can be revealed later in the tech tree unlike features

Planetfall has addedHydrothermal Vent and Methane Ice resources which have a revealing and enabling tech, long before you made this post. :confused:

I want an historical document (woohoo, Galaxy Quest reference) I can point to in the future to prove certain things that were my cool and original ideas, really were mine, for those mods trying to use them without giving me credit.

Your fault for not doing interesting things with them first. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom