[MOD] 'Saga' game speed (extremely long)

MattJek

King
This mod adds a fourth gamespeed option called "Saga". Its twice as long as epic at 1300 turns. Warning: The game speed moves at a snail's pace therefore its not for those who like faster games. EDIT: Im talking about the pace of the timeline not about lag :p

Here is how the turns are layed out
Turns-------------Years per turn-----Years
100------------------20--------------4000bc - 2000bc
200------------------10--------------2000bc - 1ad
200-------------------5---------------1ad - 1000ad
250-------------------2--------------1000ad - 1500 ad
550-------------------1--------------1500ad - 2050ad

- Tech cost is at 300% (double the epic cost) to stay in sync with the timeline
- Unit production is at 150% allowing civs to raise armies fast compared to the overall timeline
- Building costs are also at 300%, this makes is to that a city will have to invest ample time in order to build a building.
- Tile improvement rate is at 175%, this allows for fairly mature empires in the ancient times.

This mod create a longer game that allows for more dynamic wars in all the different eras. Although units are built relatively quickly, city improvement cost are high and balance out the game so that there is always something to build in a city.

I tested this mod with two games ( Which developed into different scenarios)

Game 1) I was on an isolated continent, I ran out of things to build and could not produce wealth because I didnt have currency yet

Game2) I had three neighbours near me and there were very exciting politics and dynamic wars in the ancient era.

Improvements to be made:
1)Edit Wealth, Culture and Research to be available right from the start ( I havent found how to do this yet)

2) Balance out the maintenace costs ( seemed to be in debt most of the time)

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Simply download this mod and put it into your mods folder and load it from the game menu, enjoy!

Saga: v 1.1:View attachment Saga.zip

My computer prompts me to enter a "speed password". :confused:

Sorry, I'd like to try this mod.

Yeah, I noticed that its asking for a password when I download it. Im trying to remove the password from the zip file but I dont have that much experience with winzip. Hopefully I can post an update in the next little while.

EDIT: Ok, the file shouldnt be password protected anymore.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but everytime I play a game it's advancing normally. No 20 years a turn in ancient. This is the first MOD I've installed but I loaded it up and it said 'Sage' in the corner. There was no way to select 'Sage' game speed on the list.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

haPi said:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but everytime I play a game it's advancing normally. No 20 years a turn in ancient. This is the first MOD I've installed but I loaded it up and it said 'Sage' in the corner. There was no way to select 'Sage' game speed on the list.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Put the mod in both the My Document/My Games/Civ/mods folder and the Program Files/Firaxis/Civ/Mods folder. I had the same problem with other people's mods until i put them in both locations. You can also replace the files in the main civ folder as long as you back up your originals.

How does this work with game speed? I'm assuming it gets reaaaaaally slow near the end... is that correct?

EDIT: I'd like to play with this mod, but I'm worried my system just doesn't have the capacity :p

Aeon221 said:
How does this work with game speed? I'm assuming it gets reaaaaaally slow near the end... is that correct?

EDIT: I'd like to play with this mod, but I'm worried my system just doesn't have the capacity :p

Its not laggy if thats what you mean. But it will take you a while to get through one game. Like I said, this mod is not for everyone. I read a few request from people wanting a really long game speed so I delivered.

Matt, you haven't changed later technology values, which means the tank will be discovered after about 500x2=1000 turns. Also means you're having tanks by 1750 CE or 1800 at most!

Fachy said:
Matt, you haven't changed later technology values, which means the tank will be discovered after about 500x2=1000 turns. Also means you're having tanks by 1750 CE or 1800 at most!

Have you played a game to verify this? I'll change the tech values if this really happens.

No I haven't, but I've made extended studies on the scales the original game uses (quick, normal, epic), plus a time-mod I made myself. It appears that the tank is invented after about 70-75% of the turns, assuming you keep the research rate constant to the increase in turn number. In your case, that's just before the game ends by ~350 years = year 1700 or so

Now once you delay the tech research to adjust that, you suffer loss of future techs

Gee did you even read that post I linked to?

I like this idea, but don´t understand why you need to extend the building cost that much too. You want to stay in a specific era longer with that specific units AND buildings!

Danielos said:
I like this idea, but don´t understand why you need to extend the building cost that much too. You want to stay in a specific era longer with that specific units AND buildings!

I dont understand your question. I extened the building costs so that their not built too fast in relation to the timespan and the tech progress.

The mod won't install correctly. I put the files into a folder named 'Saga' and placed it in both locations as explained above. 'Saga' shows up in the right corner but there is no other option in the game speed list :sad:

I thought you only need to put it in the "saga" folder and load it using Advance -> Load A Mod option. It restarted and loading the Saga file, but when I tried to play using normal speed (it lists the normal speeds), It seems the game plays normally (not long). Where did I miss it ?

@ koolaje: The three old game speeds should still be there plus there should be a fourth games speed called Saga. You have to pick that as your gamespeed, if you pick one of the other three it will just be one of the normal game speeds

@ Joliette: Did you put them in the MODS folder? MyDocuments/MyGames/Civ4/Mods... also, do you have the patch installed?

I put all 3 files from the zip into a folder 'Saga'. Then put that folder into my documents and civ4-folder:
.../MyDocuments/MyGames/Civilization 4/MODS/Saga/<the files>
.../Games/Civilization 4/Mods/Saga/<the files>

I chose 'load a mod' in advanced options, Civ4 restarted and loaded the mod. But no 4th game speed option shows up (I tried 'play now' and 'custom game').
And of course I have have the latest patch :)

What else could be wrong?

@MattJek: Problem is there isn't any 4th game speed after I loaded the mod (put that into on both the MyDocs folder and the ProgramFiles folder of Civ4.

PS: I notice there's a word "Saga" on the top right side of the Civ4 window when loading the mod .. must be some bug. And there's no "saga" speed yet.

@ koolaje and Joiette:
I know other people (myself included ) had the same problems with other mods
Here are two more solutions
1) Replace the actual game files with the ones in the saga folder, but remember to back up the original files!
2) Put the files in the corresponding folders in the "custom assets" folder in MyDocs/My games/CIV/Custom Assets. Then if you want to remove them you just have to delete them

Top Bottom