Mod to show City Borders?

Crystallyne

Chieftain
I've been wondering this for awhile, and thought I'd ask... Is there a game mod that might somehow automatically show the actual workable border of a city on the general game map? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but... Whenever I play I like to use the Strategy Layer and draw lines around each of my cities, or where I want to put a city. (The fat plus that, once the city has expanded culturally, is the only area that can actually be worked by that city.) From something I've seen here I think others may do that as well. It just gets tedious to do this all the time though... and I was wondering if there might be a mod that does this for you, in some way?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the cultural borders, but only the actual max work area of a city's radius. I hope this makes sense...

(Edit: I've not actually tried downloading any mods or anything for Civ IV. But I like mods for other games, so I'm not a total noob when it comes to downloading and installing things like this. heheh I'm just not sure how to find something like this, here.)

It's a feature in many mods. Like, for example, the excellent BUG mod (many have it because they include the BUG mod in them).

With BUG, you just press alt-X and click on a plot to get the area marked. You can even pick the color to use. When in that mode, a right click on one removes it (and right clicking on an unmarked plot exits the dot map mode).

Oh awesome, thank you so much!! I think I saw mention of that earlier but there's so many terms used when talking about the mods I was confused by it all. I'm downloading it now. :D :thanx:

Also in BUG, once you have marked your cities, you can leave them marked and toggle whether or not the drawings are showing using ctrl-X.

This feature is an absolute god send to me! I've now installed BUG, BAT, BULL, and the Blue Marble Project. <3 them.

One question, is there some way to remove the cross hatching, or change it, with the Ctrl-X feature? I would personally rather have just the outline, and not the cross hatching. It's not a big deal though, just thought I'd ask in case I may have missed an option somewhere. :)

As far as I know you can't remove the cross hatching, but if you pick a color that is similar to but a shade darker than your civs usual influence color, it may not be very noticeable. OTOH, since you can turn it off and on using Ctrl-X, without losing the ones you have setup, you can have it mostly off and just turn it on when you want to check where the cities workable tiles are.

There may be more ways to change it, that I have never tried. Look around in the BUG options screens. There are a lot of screens with many options each there. Maybe there is one there to do what you want.

OH!!! I hadn't picked up on the fact that there are two key commands, alt-x to place them and change their color, and ctrl-x to toggle them on and off! Sweet, that works!

I've found that white or grey works really well for me too. I've turned the opacity down slightly, I think. Grey goes well with any color and is visible enough without being obnoxious for me. hehehe I've looked through all the options I can find and I don't see anything to change the cross hatching. That's okay though. Knowing about ctrl-x helps too. :D

Top Bottom