ModBuddy build error "PackageMod" task failed unexpectedly

pnhwill98

Chieftain
I have been getting this error message recently when trying to build a mod in ModBuddy:

Code:
Error	1	The "PackageMod" task failed unexpectedly.
SevenZip.SevenZipException: The execution has failed due to the bug in the SevenZipSharp.
Please report about it to http://sevenzipsharp.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx, post the release number and attach the archive.
   at SevenZip.SevenZipBase.ThrowException(SevenZipBase handler, Exception[] e)
   at SevenZip.SevenZipBase.CheckedExecute(Int32 hresult, String message, SevenZipBase handler)
   at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFilesEncrypted(Stream archiveStream, Int32 commonRootLength, String password, String[] fileFullNames)
   at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFilesEncrypted(String archiveName, Int32 commonRootLength, String password, String[] fileFullNames)
   at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFiles(String archiveName, String[] fileFullNames)
   at Firaxis.ModBuddy.Civ5ModBuildTasks.PackageMod.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__20.MoveNext()	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets	129	10	Civ3 Nostalgia

I have done a lot of searching on google and these forums but everything I could find basically just said to restart ModBuddy or your computer, or reinstall ModBuddy, all of which I have tried. I also tried the "fix" of opening the mod file directly instead of launching ModBuddy first. but this didn't work. I have tried building it a lot of times without success. Anyone know another way to fix this?

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any method other than "Restart everything" when I run into this. And, in the event that it doesn't work, the second plan is "Restart everything again." Sometimes restarting Steam helps as well.

Anecdotally, I believe this issue comes up more often if your project is large, either by size, or by volume of small files. Also double check that you do not have any ridiculously long file / folder names, and that you don't have super nesting of folders.

Checking ModBuddy isn't enough, since ModBuddy itself is the source of the nesting folder bug (usually happens when you use ModBuddy to move files and folders around, and it'll duplicate the same folder inside itself 20 times, or something ridiculous.) You need to check the actual project folder -- wherever you've set ModBuddy to temporarily hold project files before you build them.

Perhaps someone else here might know an actual solution to this issue.

I realize now I'm also getting an error when double clicking on the .civ5sln file to open it (which apparently sometimes works). Not sure if it's important but it reads:

Code:
The 'Firaxis.ModBuddy.UpdateWizardPachage, ModBuddy.UpdateWizard, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4d5b4ab58c1cb57c' package did not load correctly.
The Problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension...

Alright,
the problem started when I added icon atlases the the project, and I was unable to successfully build it until I removed the atlases. know why the atlas files would cause this problem? maybe the files were too large? The atlases together were 34 gigabytes, which is pretty much 95% of the entire project's size, how can I compress them smaller? how can I use the icon atlases without this problem?

Alright,
the problem started when I added icon atlases the the project, and I was unable to successfully build it until I removed the atlases. know why the atlas files would cause this problem? maybe the files were too large? The atlases together were 34 gigabytes, which is pretty much 95% of the entire project's size, how can I compress them smaller? how can I use the icon atlases without this problem?

..what? How?! Thirty-four gigabytes?
How many freakin' icons are in there? Haha.

That would most probably do it, as I mentioned before about excessively large projects causing this issue more often.

You need to deal with shrinking those atlases down. Either compress them (DXT5 or something, one of the DDS compression settings available) and/or see if you can compact the icon atlas files themselves down (perhaps you have a lot of empty circles that are bloating the filesize unnecessarily, in which case you can simply crop them out.)

Did I say gigabytes?!
Woops, I meant megabytes...
Anyways, I compressed them to about 10MB (from 34) and still got the error. Know any way to get them smaller? I'm using GIMP with the dds file plugin.

For whatever reason, this fix has worked for me with a success rate of almost 100%: exit Steam entirely, and run the SDK directly from its executable rather than launching it through Steam. Then rebuild the mod.

Thanks for the responses. It is working for now after compressing my atlases more. If it ever happens again I'll try the quitting steam thing.

Hmmm. I've never opened the SDK from within Steam. (IE, having the steam client up and running and selecting "Run X" from within Steam like you can with your games). I allowed the SDK install package to create a SDK shortcut directly on my desktop, and I always use that. I have not experienced many of the using-the-SDK bugs people have reported. Not saying my method for launching ModBuddy/Fire-Tuner/etc is the cure-all, just relating my XP with the system.

For what it's worth I have also never experienced any of the launching bugs, playbugs, etc., that have been reported both here on CFC and on the Steam Workshop. Nor have I ever experienced a CTD while playing CIV5 except for when I have been running mods, and I have not encountered that very often (excepting once again those handful of mod-maker mistakes that always cause CIV5 CTD).

For reference I have Win8.1

Ha, I've actually not run the SDK from Steam itself in a long time as well. I think a month or two after I started learning how to mod, I created a shortcut on my desktop to ModBuddy and Firetuner, and I've used them exclusively ever since.

That said, even like that, I've still run into the SevenZip errors very occasionally. In my cases though, simply restarting worked.

Hi there. I am having this same problem, but the thing is nothing seems to work anymore. Nothing. It makes me feel pretty bad, because I work very hard to create my mods. At this point, I'm willing to try everything just to get this program working again. Give me all possible option if you all would be so kind. No matter what, I'll risk it.

I'm running into this problem far more than when I used to. But this time it seems as though nothing I do can work around the error because just recently I found a workaround only for it to no longer work immediately after.

Top Bottom