[MODCOMP] Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod

No, that's not true. You will have to rework the links in the files. And if you got two times a file with the same name you can expect trouble.

No one said, that there were no files to edit.
OK, in very easy words:
After having edited the links, you can use various inis if you want and as much as you want. That's a fact.
Bug uses it, diferent other mods use it. That's a fact.
And it works with different parsers. That's a fact.

The python files are calling the procedure, we know that for a fact as it WORKS when barbarians attack me.... but when I attack them it does not work. And yes, i've advanced the turn to see if it changes.

BUG b.t.w. works great with many mods.

Tried it again without the mod and everything worked fine.

Re-added the mod to the CivilizationIV.ini file as specified at in TheLopez's first post and got the exact same thing, no longer able to see other civ's scores, no longer able to rename units, and when starting a new game you do not get briefed on what leader/civ you are.

I'll try to dig into the code a bit more when I get the chance, but I'll have to figure out how to compile the SDK first.

I think it is an install problem.

When I extract the files from WinZip I get an error saying that WinZip encountered problems, but when I view the listing it doesn't have any errors.

FROM WINZIP:
Extracting to "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: yes
Extracting CvGameCoreDLL.dll
Extracting CvCustomEventManager.py
Extracting CvModName.py
Extracting CvEventInterface.py
skipping file: unable to create a sensible filename out of C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod\Assets\Python\GreatGeneralsFromBarbarianCombatUtils\CvGreatGeneralsFromBarbarianCombatEventManager.py
Extracting CvConfigParser.py
Extracting CvPath.py
Extracting cvgame.cpp
Extracting cvgame.h
Extracting cvplayer.cpp
Extracting cvunit.cpp
Extracting cygame.cpp
Extracting cygame.h
Extracting cygameinterface.cpp
Extracting COPYING.txt
Extracting Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod Config.ini
Extracting Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod.ini
Extracting Readme.txt

When I view the extracted folder I can only find 5 python files.

The location of the files are as follows:

Ini's - C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod

Dll - C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod\Assets

CvCustomEventManager.py & CvModName.py - C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod\Assets\Python

CvEventInterface.py - C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod\Assets\Python\EntryPoints

CvConfigParser.py & CvPath.py - C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod\Assets\Python\INIParser

Ok, after re-reading that last post I think I found the problem. I extracted the missing python file: CvGreatGeneralsFromBarbarianCombatEventManager.py and tried to manually put it into the folder and windows threw an error about the file name being too long. This is usually caused by the path name being too long, so if I move the folders up a level and get rid of the 'Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod for BTS 3.17' folder I should be fine.

I'll try that and see if it works.

DaddyHolby, you have hit the nail on the head. Once you put in that last Python File, you should be fine.

Try getting WinRAR. It's free, and properly kicks back that "path-name too long" error.

You should also be able to move all your files up one directory, and get rid of the \GGfBC for BtS 3.17\ right after \Beyond the Sword\Mods\.

Hope everything worls now! :D

I am running a custom DLL file that allows for more civs to be played (downloaded it from Here) I noticed this mod adds a new dll file. I know a little about modding but it is limited....I would like to merge these 2 files so I can use this mod and still play with additional civs. How hard is this? would anyone be willing to help me out if I sent them both files??

thanks

If the only change in your current custom DLL is to increase the max civs, then it is quite easy to merge them as increasing max civs is one of the simplest SDK changes to make (although the compilation can take a while since the whole thing must be rebuilt.)

What I would do is to start with the source from this mod and then increase the max civs there, and recompile. Increasing the max civs is only a change of a single line in CvDefines.h; you find the following lines in that file and change the "18" (scroll to the right if you don't see it) to something else.
Code:
#ifdef _USRDLL
#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS												(18)
#else

On the other hand, if your current custom DLL does other things aside from increasing the number of civs, there may be a little more work involved.

Should be possible. Because of other commitments, it'll take me at least a two weeks to get to it though...

It should be a simple matter of cut-&-pasting the SDK and Python changes for this mod into a 3.19 set. I don't think v3.19 chnaged how combat works... Are you able to compile files yourself? Again, just because it'll take me awhile...

I'm slowly trying to learn the programming stuff for modding, but right now I don't know anything about the SDK (except how to set the max players, thanks to this thread).
That's fine if it takes a few weeks, I'm ok with waiting for it.

It's going to take a bit longer than I'd hoped, sorry. Turns out it's not a simple cut-&-paste job to get GGfBC into BtS v3.19, as that attempt causes a CTD before the main menu gets loaded. It's going to take me quite some time to figure out what's wrong.

If someone else wants to take a crack at it, here are the v3.19 SDK files with GGfBC merged in. I made sure to check what was going on at each insertion, and from what I read, this should work. So, I suspect it might just be my Makefile, as I'm having difficulties with my ongoing project too.
[-removed-]

AFAIK, the Python files supplied in the original Mod should still be valid. See post #66 to download the Mod made for v3.17.

Got it working. Make sure to unRAR this into a folder named Mods\Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod. None of the included Python files step on any original game files, so don't worry about integration. Have fun!!

Attachments

• GGfBC Mod.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 262
Thanks! Great work!

One thing I noticed, why is there an art file under the Assets? I'm assuming since it's empty that it doesn't matter if I delete it.

draco, when you link in the "Announce your updated mods" thread, perhaps you should link to your actual post. At the moment the link takes you to the first post which is a few years old.

Top Bottom