Modding 3D graphics for Wonders, Buildings, Citystyles, etc

@Deliverator @Civitar Thank you for your amazing tutorials, which helped me to get through installation of this whole stuff. I managed to run Nexus and export .nb2 file from .gr2 (program runs without errors). Then I installed Python 2.6.6, scripts for blender, changed directory and Blender run with python found. Installed scripts for blender. But...
When I try to import .nb2 file with blender I tried few, it thinks for a while and then shows default cube model like it didn't load anything. Log doesn't show any errors:
Spoiler Screenshots :

upload_2020-4-29_1-16-27.png

upload_2020-4-29_1-17-9.png

upload_2020-4-29_1-17-48.png

upload_2020-4-29_1-18-16.png

upload_2020-4-29_1-18-46.png

upload_2020-4-29_1-20-8.png
What I could do wrong?

I am preparing for Natural Wonders modeling, but it seems much more difficult than I expected...

Ok, I managed to load "something", but cube still exists:
Spoiler Screenshots :
upload_2020-4-29_1-38-46.png
But didn't get this window:
upload_2020-4-29_1-43-0.png

Last edited:
Ok, I managed to load "something", but cube still exists:

The cube is in the default Blender scene. You can delete that manually using X key and then use CTRL-U to Save User Defaults without the cube.

Also things have moved on some way now and there is no reason not to use Blender 2.79 which is more modern if you wish.

Latest Nexus Buddy 2 can be found here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nexus-buddy-2-granny-editor-for-civ-5.496855/

Latest scripts including those for Blender 2.79 can be found here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/blender-scripts-for-civ-v-and-civ-vi.497821/

So new blender will be compatible with civ 5? I read somewhere that I must use older version. Blender 2.79a or b or just 2.79? Or 2.8? I saw scripts for that too in your files.

I installed Nexus Buddy 2.5.3.

Last edited:
So new blender will be compatible with civ 5? I read somewhere that I must use older version. Blender 2.79a or b or just 2.79? Or 2.8? I saw scripts for that too in your files.

I installed Nexus Buddy 2.5.3.

I'd go for 2.79b for Civ 5 modding as that has the most bugfixes.

The scripts for 2.8 only support Civ 6 at the moment.

If you are wanting to make Natural Wonders for Civ 5 that is only possible via this workaround mod:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/wondrous-nature.573645/
That's the mod I base on and which was my inspiration. Unfortunately current dll transfer to cp (vox populi) made by @Iamblichos seems to not work.

Is it possible to convert some of Wonders from civ6, or civ6's mod to civ5? Are you the author of the art in Terra Mirabilis? I saw adding them to civ6 is much easier, because there are bunch of mods doing that. I don't own civ6 though.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Blender 2.79 crashes on startup. I read on the web, that maybe it's because my unit is old and graphics drivers or other thing is too old.

I need small help. I want to transform object in axis in the middle of x and y (45dgr). So I rotate rotate object by 45. Then when I scale S,X it scales by all axis instead of X, and on S,X,X it scales by X but that X which was before rotation. How can I scale by X after rotation?

Also, object is created from platforms of different altitude and base of hexagon (giants causeway). How can I select only one hexagonal pillar and scale it or copy, or move without interfering to neighbouring pillars? Now I can select it, but scaling down deforms all others...
Spoiler Screenshots :

Do you have some basic tutorial how to select points, face or anything? I have basic problems with selecting one side of this pillar to scale it down. Program does not listen to me... Even copy/paste thing seems complicated. I probably went to far with trying to modify or even create new models :/

Last edited:
@adan_eslavo: To split off one hexagon and copy it you could use P to seParate it into its own mesh object. D key is the simplest way to Duplicate objects. You can do Ctrl-A to Apply the rotation to the object permanent.

The best way to learn Blender is via YouTube tutorials. That's how I learned. It takes some time and patience but the only way really is to start with the basics and build up your knowledge.

This guy has some good intros to Blender 2.49 but there are many others:

Once you have exported the the .gr2 file what do you use to create a .fxsxml that the game requires to use the model?

Once you have exported the the .gr2 file what do you use to create a .fxsxml that the game requires to use the model?

Any text editor will do e.g. Notepad++.

Top Bottom