Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

Well, thanks for explaining the mechanic. I suppose I probably was spreading it despite not seeing the plague promotion. Probably due to me not really losing units that much there. In that particular game (epic, large, monarch) the Fremen became a beast after getting their own paradise island. I had 4 cities on a rather small island together with two angry factions when the Fremen showed up and declared war on all three of us. They had a stack of 87 sandrider blade units at one point hanging out by my city with nearly that number gain in smaller stacks on our island. They could have just deleted me but I guess the AI didn't fancy the casualties highly promoted Grenade Troopers would inflict on defence. I eventually just quit when the rest of the world declared war. I never saw the Fremen do that again in other games, they do tend to pull a bit ahead early but will sink quickly in mid-game. It helps that Grenade Troopers are a solid all-round unit for much of the game for most stacks the AI will field. I believe the AI's possibly tend to ignore building them somewhat especially when facing an enemy that also has many blade units.

As far as favourite factions go, I haven't tried them all. They each seem to be quite potent when played to their strengths. The Ecazi are certainly quite fun to play and very strong once CHOAM is in place and if you can get a few factions to fall in love with you. The Semuta Den mechanic is a great addition and fun to set up although I eventually decided it's probably more a late game thing to use your hammers on.

If you ever do find the opportunity to add things like more factions I'm sure it will be very well received. This really is a fantastic mod. :)

People!, rate the game and tell me what are the things that you like about the game: favorite factions, favorite abilities, etc... :)
It's DUNE Man! What more do you need!?!! :D:hatsoff:

And the New forum won't let me Rate it because I have not "Downloaded it". Even though I d/l'd it when you 1st put it up and then patched back under the old forum.

To elaborate a bit more, I kind of wish some more small updates would be done, but i really don't know what more could be added.

I love the small 'recent' touches, like the Fremen being able to make towns in caves. Also, the Ordos ability of finding any unique unit in the mercenary list is really cool. I have yet to find anything unique from a different civilization in the list, but the sheer possibility that you could draft Fedaykin and Devastators is excellent. I believe the mini-golden ages to the imperial religion was also added in this patch, also a nice touch to what seems to be a pretty unexciting religion. (Nobles still suck if you ask me) I didn't do the math, but I am sure that the Great Keep that reduces mainteinance in an area does not compare to the Quizarate temple reductions, so keeping Imperial for anything other than shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of roleplay is useless. I wish it was a more fun religion, or do something political, e.g. all other civs regard followers of Imperial as same religion for diplo purposes.

The Richesse are a bit odd, as their unique promotions overshadow the unique Ixian promotions, but I appreciate their presence anyway. Trying to preserve as many of their unique improvements while conquering them is a fun minigame for me :D.

Hi, when coming on CiV4, I had 2 goals : play caveman2cosmos, and play Dune mod.
So I tried C2C but have done many mistakes (bad options choice, too big map, etc).

Here on Dune wars : I choosed all standard, and Monarch difficulty. Well, I targeted too high and will return on Prince.
I started many games, but made many errors, so I really started 2 real games. I quickly gave up because I made too big mistakes in early game, and AI civ was too aggressive, starting to settle too quick for me, and steal me good location.

Tech tree is far more little than C2C one, so I play Marathon. There is not additionals options with BUG mod. But it doesnt matter for now.
I find the game quick to play, very enjoyable.
In overall, I really liked what I saw, this mod is as amazing than what I've read about!

I'm not sure about a thing : how many is tile range I can exploit ? It look like I can only get 2 tiles aways for city center, and 1 tile away at diagonal. ?

Also city settle is not easy : it's difficult to be in range of a spice field, and in range of anothers resources.
Build wind traps instead mines seem to be a priority, grow become quickly stagnant and water have high price here.

Last thing : my game is "French" langage. But if I let french, then there is no menus, and the mod bug. I think all it need is just to copy English version in others localization for preventing that. Hoping someone will maybe translate it. But Im really too bad english speaker for doing it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a thing : how many is tile range I can exploit ? It look like I can only get 2 tiles aways for city center, and 1 tile away at diagonal. ? Also city settle is not easy : it's difficult to be in range of a spice field, and in range of anothers resources.

You need to invest in buildings and other things that produce Culture :)culture:) to expand your borders. You can harvest spice anywhere within your borders.

The AI has been improved a lot in this mod so don't feel bad about dropping a couple of difficulty levels.

Last thing : my game is "French" langage. But if I let french, then there is no menus, and the mod bug. I think all it need is just to copy English version in others localization for preventing that. Hoping someone will maybe translate it. But Im really too bad english speaker for doing it.

Unfortunately the mod only works in English. Perhaps someone will eventually translate it but so far no one has.

Hi, no, it don't need any translation. Just copy english text in the french localization. So a CiV4 with french langage will see Dune in english. But at least, it will see something ! I usualy get same problem when modding endless legend. Then I copy english text into all other langage, spanish, italian, german, everything I can't translate. But if I don't do it, an italian gamer will see bugs or variables text instead of something at least readable in english.

Thanks for the advice. You say I can exploit spice everywhere in my borders. So, let's say :
If I have a city with a 5 range borders. I can exploit only 2 range with citizen, but if a spice field is at 5 range, I still can exploit it ?
If yes, I have to totaly change my strategy about city settle (for now I settle near spice, like I settle near a sea...).
Also with enough culture, can I exploit ressource at 3 range, later (with enough culture and borders), or max range is 2 ?

Thanks for the advice. You say I can exploit spice everywhere in my borders. So, let's say :
If I have a city with a 5 range borders. I can exploit only 2 range with citizen, but if a spice field is at 5 range, I still can exploit it ?
If yes, I have to totaly change my strategy about city settle (for now I settle near spice, like I settle near a sea...).
Also with enough culture, can I exploit ressource at 3 range, later (with enough culture and borders), or max range is 2 ?

Gold from spice is collected at your capital's Palace for each harvester you have - if you hover over the Palace when you have a few harvesters you'll see how it works. So spice doesn't need to be directly worked by a city, you just need a harvester on it and you will get gold. Max Range for Cities to work is always 2 tiles.

I have a problem when I try to open it but I get an error

Can this be fixed?

The image can not be seen (I do not know why) but it says: GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

From googling that error and reading a few CFC posts, it seems like it could be because the mod is not installed correctly or is installed in an unexpected location. Did you use the installer? If so you might be better manually installing the zip version to your mods folder. You also need to make sure that the correct mod folder is directly within BTS mods and there isn't another folder wrapping it from unzipping.

From googling that error and reading a few CFC posts, it seems like it could be because the mod is not installed correctly or is installed in an unexpected location. Did you use the installer? If so you might be better manually installing the zip version to your mods folder. You also need to make sure that the correct mod folder is directly within BTS mods and there isn't another folder wrapping it from unzipping.

I use the zip version because the .exe does not work for me and the mod. I put the mod in C: \ Users \ DELL \ Documents \ My Games \ Beyond The Sword \ MODS where C2C works well
but the rest does not work well

I use the zip version because the .exe does not work for me and the mod. I put the mod in C: \ Users \ DELL \ Documents \ My Games \ Beyond The Sword \ MODS where C2C works well
but the rest does not work well
That error message almost always means wrong path.
You should try putting the mod where Civ IV is actually installed, most mods won't work from the other place.
Maybe under Program Files? Or a Steam folder, if you use that version?

That error message almost always means wrong path.
You should try putting the mod where Civ IV is actually installed, most mods won't work from the other place.
Maybe under Program Files? Or a Steam folder, if you use that version?

I just change where the file was to C: \ GOG Games \ Civilization IV Complete \ Civ4 \ Beyond the Sword \ Mods now works

I just change where the file was to C: \ GOG Games \ Civilization IV Complete \ Civ4 \ Beyond the Sword \ Mods now works
Great! Have fun with the mod!

Cool. Welcome to Dune!

So.. what is up with trade route bonuses not being applied? Every trade route, domestic or foreign,is exactly 1, despite having bonuses.

nvm, i think its just because there is no fractional yields. whoops

Last edited:
Top Bottom