Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

Hello.

Great mod.

Thank you very much Mr M.

A thing I dont like : disbalance. Freman are very overpowered :

- 50 % food growth for a tiny hammer cost boost your growth a lot all over the game. Others civs has no building like that for such a low cost.
- Super speed on desert make you able to explore/take ruins/defend/attack cities and get back very easily.
- You can use Sandriders with any light units. Including the Madhi unit, which have no cost and no supply cost. It means you can have a fast force for no upkpeep at any point on the map, able to destroy any city...
- Religious trait, of Paul Muadib, give him very early great priest. Which mean +2 hammer +5 gold very early. Being Religious is not exclusive to Fremen of course, but it's an important bonus they have access.

I made two multiplayer games with a player with the same game level than me. He was Fremen I was Harkonen.

In comparaison :

- Harkonen has slavery, but the food is so rare that Slavery is very rarely usefull in early game. Your food is very precious. Harkonen can't keep more food than 20 % after growth so Slavery is not worth it ! And Slavery increase the unhealth and the upkeep into your whole empire. Another thing : you need food, so most of your mesa are used by windtrap, not mines. So hammer bonus in mines is rarely usefull.

I think this game is great but the balance, especially in multiplayer, is not here.

On a nostalgic whim I decided to replay some of my favorite Civ IV mods. Imagine my delight when I discovered that not only is Dune Wars still around, but some awesome people have even improved it! Currently playing as Bene Tleilax and having a blast, their new abilities are a great improvement over the original mod.
Only issue I've been having is with BUG, some features like building actual yields aren't working. Anyone else had this? I've been playing other mods with BUG and those work fine.

On a nostalgic whim I decided to replay some of my favorite Civ IV mods. Imagine my delight when I discovered that not only is Dune Wars still around, but some awesome people have even improved it! Currently playing as Bene Tleilax and having a blast, their new abilities are a great improvement over the original mod.
Only issue I've been having is with BUG, some features like building actual yields aren't working. Anyone else had this? I've been playing other mods with BUG and those work fine.
Did you clear the cache folder before you started your new game of DW? This sometimes helps.

Also did you make any changes to your BUG settings when you started this New game? Sometimes If you start a new game with a different Mod you may need to Double save after making any BUG changes And Before you continue to play . Double save = save game after making BUG changes, the immediately save again. When Popup appears asking if you want to Overwrite click Yes or Okay (which ever one it says). This should lock in your new settings.

How do i actually build the sardaukar barracks as the corrino? I cant figure out how to get ahold of the unique resource

edit: Nvm i see its an offworld resource

Last edited:
How do i actually build the sardaukar barracks as the corrino? I cant figure out how to get ahold of the unique resource

edit: Nvm i see its an offworld resource

Yeah, that's right. You need to build a Landing Stage and then you can select the Sardaukar Cooperation Resource to enable them.

anyone ever got the source code for this?

No, I think we exhausted that discussion and should respect Mr. M's decision not to share it. Hope you're well!

*edit
++Never mind++
(I figured out that the carriers must actually be in the city with the warheads :p )
*edit

I love Dune and I love this mode. Very clean and stylish, no crashes to screen. What a great game!

I have just researched Atomics and I`m wondering why I can`t load any missiles on my missile carriers? Bombarding from my cities is not an option, missiles reach is poor. Is that a bug? Do I have to switch something on? Thanks

Last edited:
I love Dune and I love this mode. Very clean and stylish, no crashes to screen. What a great game!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod!

I may make a little cosmetic only patch to coincide with Denis Villeneuve's Dune release next December 2020. It would at least be fun to play with leader graphics taken from the new film.

Very nice that we still get some good comments. I still believe that the game ended up being quite good enough and that it somehow stands out regarding some aspects and ideas. I just took a look again that the modifications that I made and I really wonder from where did I get the patience.

Btw, responding to an old comment above: Fremen are definitely stronger than the harkonnen in the early game, and that's something intended from the beginnings of the mod, I think.
Nevertheless, although slavery is not that incredible at the start of the game, it really can get out of hand later on: i had trouble finding some kind of balance while keeping it fun at the same time. All factions can get out of hand if you play them right. It's just impossible to really balance out the game for multiplayer without making the factions more similar. If it's just two players against each other with those factions, it's probably better to play big maps with lots of AI.

Happy new year!

Can we have the latest SmartMaps (v922) adapted to the mod ? :mischief:

Hi all, I have a situation with the DuneWars Revival mod 1.10. and by extension with patch 5.5 Until recently everything worked fine, game played normally, but now whenever I try to run the mod I get:
failed loading xml file xml\Globaldefines.xml
[,\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML File -
File: xml\GlobalDefines.xml
Reason: Error parsing '0.7' as float datatype
Line 1046, 25
Source: <fDefineFloatVal>0.7</fDefineFloatVal>
After that comes a bunch of similar errors for GlobalDefineAlt, PromotionInfos
Then comes Allocating zero or less memory in CvXMLLoadUtility::SetVariableListTagPair
Current XML files is: XML\Civilizations/Civ4TraitInfos.xml
There's lots of errors there and when I finally get through them game simply closes.
I did the complete reinstall, with correct mod path, I tried loading it after starting regular civ4 BTS exe. Game sees mod just fine, but can't load it. I even tried old portable zip, but alas, no cigar. It simply doesn't work anymore. I have no idea where it went wrong, I would appreciate any and all assistance.
Other mods work just fine, including Realism and Final frontiers

EDIT: Forgot 1st rule of tech support, RESTART THE DAMN MACHINE, now it works... go figure. I'll leave this post so that others may learn on my example and save some time

Last edited:
Top Bottom