[Mods]Problems Loading

mythusmage

Prince
In this thread I noticed that the problems mentioned usually had more to do with the mod loading than with installation. So I thought I'd start up this thread in which people could send in the problems they're having with getting a mod to start so that others could provide possible solutions.

In my case the problem lies with Balancer Reloaded. I found a copy at the Storm over Civ site, downloaded it, and extracted the files using Stuffit Expander. Installation was a simple matter of dropping the folder itself into the Conquests Game Data/Conquests folder, and moving the .biq files up one level to that same folder. Then off to get the mod started. The .biq version I clicked on was 1.02, so keep that in mind as you read

The loading went well at first. The basic data load did take time -on an 800mhz G4 machine that's something you should expect, especially with all the stuff Balancer Reloaded comes with. Then the two set-up splash screens, after which I got to wait for final loading. That's when the problem showed up. The message that the Art/Units/Medieval Japanese Settler/Medieval Japanese Settler.ini could not be found pops up, and we all know what that means.

So I inquire of Spotlight where the Medieval Japanese Settler folder might be found, and learn that it is in two places. in Play the World Game Data/Extras/Medieval Japan/Art/Units/, and in Conquests Game Data/Conquests/Sengoku/Art/Units -which is not where Balancer Reloaded v1.02 biq told my machine where to find it. Thus, after all this exposition, my question. Would placing a copy of either version of said folder under Balancer Reloaded/Art/Units do the trick? I'm disposed to think it would, but It is my experience that software writers are a lot like scriptwriters on a soap opera; complicating matters is a requirement. Advice requested.

The problem this time is not with the Mod itself not loading. No, this time the problem comes when the Mod needs to load a file that is not there. Because the folder is not there. In this case it's a certain Medieval Japanese folder, the one mentioned above. The folder exists. There are two versions of the folder. The problem is, in both cases the folder is in the wrong place.

I've pretty much concluded that the Mac OS is a lot like an autistic child, if something isn't where it's supposed to be, the kid effectively shuts down. If something isn't where it's supposed to be, the Mac OS shuts down the program.

Now a patch for for such occasions can be written, but there is an even simpler solution (I hope) make sure the file or folder is where it's supposed to be. But feedback before I risk my own suggestion would be nice.

It's not Mac OS X, the Windows version shuts down if it can't find a file it wants as well. It's all down to Aspyr's rearrangement of the files and folders in Civ3 Complete.

The original Windows version of Civ3 and its expansions has a built-in set of folder paths that it searches when it is told to find a specific file. Windows mod makers are able to refer to files that are not in their own scenarios because they can rely on the Windows version to look for those files and find them among the installed data.

The Aspyr version of the software has two major changes in the folder structure:

1. There are now two separate structures, using the same principles as Civ4, the /Civilization II Complete/ application folder, and a user-specific folder in ~/Documents/ that includes a /Mods/ folder for user-intalled mods.

2. The structure within the application folder has a different hierarchy from the one in Windows.

I believe Aspyr attempted to modify the way Civ3 searches for files in order to compensate for both of these changes, but they clearly failed. As a result, we are left with two problems:

A. Mods don't work because they can't find the files that they assume are present elsewhere in the system.

B. We can't simply rearrange the folder structure to look like the Windows version, because Aspyr have changed the folder search procedure, so now we can only guess where it's looking for files.

We are therefore left to use trial and error to work out how to restructure mods to get them to work. The solutions I have pointed you to in the other threads use a sledgehammer->nut approach - keep copying files into the mod until it surrenders. There's obviously no problem with that, and you can do it with the Japanese Setter with no ill effects. It just replicates more and more data, using up disk space.

I would prefer some sort of generic solution that would solve the problem once, for all mods. It's possible that creating one or more symlinks to the Civilization 3 Game Data folder and putting them in the right places might work, but I haven't done the experiments to find out.

Hi Alan,

Got Balancer Reloaded to run doing as you said. I'd much rather move files and folders around than modify code. Too much has a tendency to go wrong when you modify code. From what I saw once I got to play it, I figure all the hassle of just learning which files were missing was worth it.

You, sir are a credit to the International Alan Conspiracy.

I'm not suggesting modifying code, just inserting an alias somewhere that will lead the software to the files its looking for rather than copying them into the mod.

A well placed and correctly named alias or symlink could solve the problem once and for all time, but finding what to link, where to link it, and what to call the link needs some work. It's possible to trace the OS calls made by Civ3 when searching for a missing file. That trace should give the clue as to what, where and how to link to them.

Copying the "missing" file into the mod can only be done by trial and error. It will become a frustrating experience as you play a game, crash, find and copy another file, relaunch, crash, rinse and repeat.

Honestly, I don't mind. Which is why I posted this. If it helps somebody save a bit of time, then my time was well spent.

Yes, but as I said when offering that solution, I'm pretty sure you'll hit another unit or building or whatever that doesn't work later in the game. Then you'll crash and have to do the analysis again ... and again. And next time you play you may use a different set of races with different UUs and the whole thing will go around again..

It happens, it happens. I'll deal with each problem as it shows up. When each problem is dealt with I'll add it to my FAQ on Mod installation completion for that particular Mod. As I said, if it helps others, it's no waste of time.

Update: To clarify, the problem with Balancer Reloaded was getting it to run, period. Once the requested files were in place it ran. I have had problems with another Mod during play, but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
I really don't see how this thread differs from the one I started, other than that the OS version differs. But I guess the other thread should be de-stickied & closed.

You might want to think about investing the time to make the first post link to the successive solutions, mythusmage. ;)

That has always been my problem with mods, missing art files. I now first download them and try them on my Windows box. If they have trouble there, I do not even try them on my Macs. I just do not have the time to painstakingly go through and find the problems.

Top Bottom