MOO2Civ

MOO2Civ hasn't been tested on Vista, so these Python errors are new to me. I suggest not using Vista (which seems problematic for several mods). The multiple TRAIT errors you mention should not occur (nor any other errors for that matter) as the FULL VERSION has been thoroughly tested before release.

I apologize for the mysterious absence of another update, but I'm being plagued by some Real Life issues, the least of which are some persistent computer viruses...:(

That may be true, but as mentioned Patch4 was thoroughly tested before and after upload (in Single Player mode and in IP Connection Multiplayer mode) and these Python exceptions didn't show up at all. So unless other people get these same error messages I can only blame Vista - which I can't fix.

Forgive my skepticism, but...

How do you ever hope to make anything remotely resembling any of the MoOs without ship design or the combat screen? Those two features were what made MoOs so popular.

Good question. The ship design of the MOO series is linked to the ship combat game mechanic. The latter, being tactical combat, can be poorly represented in a Civ environment, which focuses more on strategy. So far ship design is represented by the promotion system: as the game progresses, you get access to more and more promotions. (As I mentioned earlier, these mostly give a 10 % increase in strength - or defense -, a result of the abandonment of the ADM values of Civ1-3 in favour of a single strength value.) In short: we're in a different environment here and MOO specifics can only be approximated. Hence MOO2Civ.

BTW, in answer to an earlier suggestion, I see no reason why there shouldn't be room for a MOO3Civ - provided there's enough support from creative MOO/Civfans, ofcourse.

Well, I don't know too much about the SDK so I can't offer much advice, but I'm fairly certain that the combat code is in the SDK. The shipbuilding stuff would be more difficult - it would probably require that promotions still be used; I would recommend merging in the promotions changes from Conqueror's Delight, and then a screen would need to be coded that would allow players to add the promotions independent of experience (a building that adds a ton of XP and is in all cities would be a good workaround, but would cause XP from battle to not work anymore).

Well, thx for the answer - although it seems a little out of my league at the moment (don't know much about SDK either)... The either buildings or battle promotions also doesn't look ideal; from what I've seen, battle XP plays an important part. So I don't know, really. It would be nice to have a more diversified promotions system...

On another note: I just noticed MOO2Civ (Patch4) is now at 2,700 downloads.;)

Good question. The ship design of the MOO series is linked to the ship combat game mechanic. The latter, being tactical combat, can be poorly represented in a Civ environment, which focuses more on strategy. So far ship design is represented by the promotion system: as the game progresses, you get access to more and more promotions. (As I mentioned earlier, these mostly give a 10 % increase in strength - or defense -, a result of the abandonment of the ADM values of Civ1-3 in favour of a single strength value.) In short: we're in a different environment here and MOO specifics can only be approximated. Hence MOO2Civ.

BTW, in answer to an earlier suggestion, I see no reason why there shouldn't be room for a MOO3Civ - provided there's enough support from creative MOO/Civfans, ofcourse.

I believe Mylon had a system that included ship design and components. Last I checked he had a bare-bones framework beta version of such a system. Along with some of the other suggestions that have popped up on the thread, it would make a great mod.

Ideally you could add a screen that pops up when a unit is built that allows X amount of promotions (or maybe they could be bought?) to be added without touching XP.

I suggested something like this earlier. Its a good idea.

P.S. Sorry about double post.

I believe Mylon had a system that included ship design and components. Last I checked he had a bare-bones framework beta version of such a system. Along with some of the other suggestions that have popped up on the thread, it would make a great mod.

Is that in Mylon's Mod or is it a separate modcomp?

Is that in Mylon's Mod or is it a separate modcomp?

I'm not sure. I don't think he ever completed the mod (not sure), so he probably has it as a modcomp; or as a SDK or Python file just lying around. You should ask him. He was saying that he did make a skeleton version of a combat system like the one we are talking about, but I never learned if he ever improved or even implemented his system. He did not say how he did it, so it might be hard to incorporate into this mod.

Tried your Mod in multiplayer with a friend, but its always OOS at the start of the game, and after every turn when he reconnects. :(

We both have BtS 3.17, and installed your newest full package and the b patch for 3.17.

We already made sure that our modfiles are absolutely the same.

Top Bottom