More Civilisations

TranquilSilence

Grumpy Snufkin
Thanks for the update to Narmer - looking forward to whatever you end up releasing next, be it another update or a new civ.

In regards to Laos and the potential of Leugi not returning, have you guys considered doing what Tomatekh did, and releasing an complete build of Laos sans the unit model? If that is the only thing that it is missing of course.

bouncymischa

Synthetic Genie
That's really excellent! Firaxis needs tools like these for Civ 6. How long did it take you to code this? And why does everyone always use pPlayer, I swear I never got that naming convention.

Because iPlayer refers to the integer value of the player's position on the Players table, and pPlayer is a pointer to the actual player object?

At least, that's how I've always seen it. You need the pointer (or its equivalent) for functions such as IsAlive...

TranquilSilence

Grumpy Snufkin
So, seeing as it has been discussed in most other modding threads - any idea how the Civ VI announcement is going to affect More Civs modding plans? I presume that the intended list of releases might be cut down - it'd be sweet to still see the Siam Split though.

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.
I was wondering if someone was going to remember us!

Greek split is cancelled due to Civ 6

In all seriousness, the announcement of Civ VI hasn't changed anything on the list so far, we're still planning to continue modding and supporting our released mods for Civ V up to and after the release, as well as potentially expanding into civ VI once we know how practical doing so is (ie. What's required for civs.) In the meantime, it's business as usual - I'm actually working on a much anticipated update now.

shaglio

The Prince of Dorkness
I was wondering if someone was going to remember us!

Remember you! You were the ones who got me into using modded civs in the first place. I had always been apprehensive about using them since I had no faith that they would be properly balanced. But then there was a showcase post of recently released mods on the CFC main page. Your India split was one of the mods shown and it was too intriguing to ignore. Since then I've been hooked and I feel like I joined a little family here in the C&C subforum. I look forward to seeing what else you guys do in the next 5 months and, if you have interest in modding for Civ 6, beyond.

janboruta

Artistriarch
I'm hoping - and I'm somewhat confident - that we'll keep doing mods for both Civ 5 and 6. The similarities between both games (as they seem to be similar - so far) could create a basis for some interchangeability between both titles, particularly in terms of concepts and designs, but also artwork, maybe even snippets of code. There doesn't seem to be such a big gap as between Civ 4 and Civ 5 this time around, especially with Firaxis' confirmation of simply building upon Civ 5's mechanics as present in the game with both expansions (Great Works, Religion, City-States, possibly Trade Routes).

Skaz881

History Major
I'm glad to hear that, I certainly have no plans to stop playing Civ 5 just because of Civ 6.

TranquilSilence

Grumpy Snufkin
Yeah, I feel the same way - it'll probably be a wee while before I'm ready to leave Civ V behind, so it's good to hear that continued support is expected.

Wondering what the anticipated Update that Pouakai is working on could be. If it's a purely MC update I'd assume India, Mexico or the Ayyubids - though it could just as easily be a Greater Europe/Forgotten civ update.

einayim

Warlord
Here's macedon's completed pedia
Spoiler :
Macedon:

History:
From its roots as a petty kingdom in the foothills of the Balkans, the Kingdom of Macedon rose to prominence as the hegemon of a vast empire, spanning from Southeastern Europe to the gates of India. Its rise was the result of the brilliant efforts of two leaders: Philip II, who subordinated the bickering polities of the Balkans and Greece under his will, and his son Alexander, who used this base of power to conquer to the reaches of the Classical world. After Alexander’s death, the Macedonian Empire splintered into a number of successor states, but the Kingdom of Macedon itself managed to maintain its power in Northern Greece until its defeat and conquest by the rising power of Rome.

Terrain and Climate:
Macedon’s original territory lay in what is now Northern Greece and Southern Macedonia. The ancient first capital of Macedon, Aegae, was founded in the foothills of the Vermio Mountains in Northern Greece, and Ancient Macedon generally was in hilly country. The climate in this region of the Balkans is generally cooler than in Southern Greece, with cool autumns and snowy winters.

The Early Macedonian Kingdom:
The first attested king of Macedon is Carranus, a descendant of the king of Argos who claimed the lineage of Heracles. Carranus founded the city of Aegae as well as the Argead dynasty, the house that would rule over the Macedonian Kingdom, and later Empire, until the death of Alexander. The first Macedonian king recorded by Herodotus was Perdiccas I; in some sources, he or his son Argaeus I are listed as the true founders of Aegea.
By the close of the 6th Century, Macedon had become a vassal state of the Achaemenid Empire under Darius I. While the Ionian revolt did embolden Macedon to loose itself slightly from the Persian grip, the ultimate failure of that rebellion allowed the Persian commander Mardonius to conquer Macedon and make it a subordinate kingdom of Persia. Even while technically part of Persia, Macedon was beginning to grow closer to Greece, with King Alexander I known as “The Philhellene” for his deeds in forming a Greek-style hoplite regiment known as the pezhetairoi and in secretly aiding the Greeks in the Persian Wars. After the defeat of Persian, Macedon was not heavily involved in the Peloponnesian wars, though they were allied to both the Delian and Peloponnesian Leagues at various points throughout the conflict.

Philip’s Rise to Power
Philip II of Macedon, the king that would create the conditions for his son Alexander’s conquest of the known world, was not supposed to be king. He was the youngest son of three, and even after his older brothers Alexander II and Perdiccas III took the throne and subsequently died, he only ascended to the throne as regent to his nephew Amyntas IV. Shortly after, though, Philip usurped power from his 6-year-old nephew, and became true basileus of Macedon.

Philip had spent much of his adolescence as a captive of Thebes, and it was on the developed Theban military that he would model his reforms of Macedon’s army. Not only would he more than double the size of the military in general, and increase the cavalry fivefold, he would also create a dedicated corps of siege engineers, introduce uniforms, and appoint commanders to individual phalanxes, all moves that greatly increased the efficacy of the Macedonian army.

The two most important parts of Macedon’s army under Philip, though, were the pike phalanx and the companion cavalry. The pike phalanx, made up of soldiers known as phalangitai, was a clear tactical improvement over the hoplite phalanxes used in the rest of Greece at the time. The pike used by the phalangitai, known as a sarissa, could be around double the length of the dory used by hoplite phalanxes. The phalangitai proved to be a highly effective fighting force, and remained a dominant military tactic in the mediterranean world for centuries to come. The companion cavalry, or hetairoi, were another key part of the Macedonian professional army. The hetairoi were an elite force gathered from the noble sons of Macedon, trained from a young age and outfitted with the best equipment and weaponry available, including a spear known as the Xyston. They played the role of a devastating shock cavalry, used as hammer to the anvil of the phalanx.

Beyond military reform, Philip also continued the hellenization of Macedon, renovating the capital city of Pella and bringing in a number of artists and philosophers, including Aristotle, who would act as tutor for Alexander the Great in his youth.

The Conquest of Greece

In the early years of Philip’s reign, his main achievement was the conquest of the Athenian colony of Amphipolis, a major source of gold and silver. His conquest there, and the diplomatic dealings with Athens that followed, allowed for the establishment of a foothold in Greek affairs and the repeated embarrassment of Athens, who proved unable to recapture the city.

Throughout the two decades from 356 BCE to 337 BCE, Philip amassed a series of similar victories throughout Greece and the Greek world that proved Macedon’s dominance over Athens, Sparta, and other regional powers. Perhaps most important was the Third Sacred War, fought starting in 356 BCE over the Phocian conquest of Delphi. Phocis was backed by both Athens and Sparta, but Macedon, alongside Thessaly and Thebes, was able to achieve victory.

After gaining a positive peace settlement with Athens in 346, wherein Macedon gained control of Thermopylae and a seat on the Amphictyonic League’s council, Philip took a short break from war to improve the inner workings of the Macedonian Kingdom. It was in this period that, in the words of Alexander, Philip would bring “the Macedonians down from the hills to the plains", engaging in systematic migration to improve the centrality of Macedon to the Greek world. After only two years of a full break from conquest, Philip engaged in a two year campaign in Thrace, defeating the Scythian armies in many battles and founding and renaming many cities (renaming cities after the king became a hallmark of Philip and Alexander’s reigns.)

It was in the years 338 and 337 that Philip’s dominance over Greece became complete. First, he achieved victory over the Theban and Athenian armies at the Battle of Chaeronea, ending the threat of two other major Greek powers. Secondly, and more importantly, Philip achieved peaceful hegemony over the remainder of the Greek world not already conquered by him, by the establishment of the League of Corinth, with Philip at its head. The League, made up of all the powers of Greece except for Sparta, immediately drew up plans for a grand invasion of Persia.

Then Philip got assassinated.

Alexander

Alexander III of Macedon, the ruler that would later be known as Alexander the Great, came to power at the age of 20. By the age of 32, he would be dead. In the intervening period, he would conquer the largest land empire to be constructed up to that point, and name a great many cities after himself.

Alexander’s reign began with a consolidation of power, with the killings of all possible challengers to the throne, from Macedonian princes, to the general Attalus, to his own cousin, Amyntas. He also had to put down Greek revolts caused by his father’s death, but solved most of them peacefully, using the mere threat of his cavalry more than their spears. In Thrace, though, he was not so lucky, having to defeat the Illyrians, Boeotians, and Goetians, among others, before he could advance to his true goal: Persia.

Alexander crossed into Asia minor with a massive army: with more than 45000 infantrymen, 6,100 cavalry including 1800 companions, and at least 100 triremes, fully crewed. Even in the face of this, the Persians did not see the true threat of Alexander’s forces initially.

The first major victory for the assembled Greek forces was at the Battle of the Granicus River in 334. The Persian forces, a mix of the armies of the satrapies of Asia Minor and Greek Mercenaries, were led by Memnon of Rhodes, a Greek commander who urged for a scorched earth strategy. Due to a distrust by the Satraps of their commander, the Persian forces did not fully adopt that strategy, and in the battle both the Persians and their Greek mercenary allies ended up being routed by the cavalry charges of Alexander.

Over the next few years, Alexander achieved numerous victories over the Persians. In Asia Minor, he captured the city of Halicarnassus with a decisive infantry strike after an extended siege, and dealt a Persian Emperor his first defeat in the field in history at the Battle of Issus. As he moved further south, his triumphs continued, with his naval siege of Tyre (including the use of a massive, kilometer-long causeway to transport siege towers), his breaking of the Gordian knot, and his peaceful assumption of power in Egypt, long a rival of Perisa.

After his domination of Egypt and the Levant, Alexander began his advance into Mesopotamia and the Persian homeland. At the Battle of Gaugamela in modern Iraq, Darius III again faced off against Alexander, this time with the most skilled cavalry and infantry forces of the reaches of the Persian Empire. Though the Persian Army outnumbered the Greeks, the Greek army was able to neutralize the chariot charge of the Persians and counterattack with a massive wedge charge into the heart of the Persian army. At this, Darius attempted to flee the field, was chased down and killed by the Bactrian Cavalry. Alexander’s decisive victory at Gaugamela left only a few pockets of Persian resistance, and gave him free access to the treasuries of cities like Babylon and Susa. After taking the Persian Pass after a grueling, bloody siege in 330 BCE, Alexander’s conquest of Persia was complete, with the Eastern capitals of Persepolis and Pasgardae under his dominon.

Soon after his victory in Persia, Alexander turned his sights to the Western Indian kingdoms at the edge of the Greek known world. He took the fortress of the Sogdian Rock in 327 using climbers, and destroyed the stronghold of Massaga after a bloody siege wherein Alexander himself was injured, but soon began experiencing heavier resistance. In 326, he fought such an impressive battle against King Porus in the Punjab that he made Porus a satrap of the Macedonian Empire, but beyond the Hyphasis River were more powerful Indian empires like the Nanda, who presented a greater threat. Faced with this threat, Alexander’s armies mutinied, and Alexander’s persuasive efforts were for naught. Alexander then began his march back to Persia, a grueling affair that led to the deaths of many of his men.

Upon his return to Susa, Alexander began to adopt more and more Persian customs, attempting to marry his officers to Persian nobles and beginning to wear mostly Persian dress. These attempts, as well as other misguided efforts, led to a number of internal mutinies. It was in this acrimonious environment that Alexander’s friend and possible lover Hestaphion died, plunging Alexander into a deep grief. Soon after, in the palace of Babylon, Alexander died of some mix of alcohol, food poisoning, illness, and foul play.

Macedon after Alexander

In the immediate aftermath of Alexander’s Death, two figures kept the stability of the empire intact, at least briefly. Antipater, a close confidante of Philip, prevented internal revolt in Greece proper, while Peridiccas, head of Alexander’s companions, prevented division of the Empire between Alexander’s generals. However, upon Peridiccas’ death in 321, the oppositional forces of the Diadochi, or successors, proved too strong, and the Macedonian empire was divided into four parts: Egypt under the Ptolemies, Mesopotamia under the Seleucids, Pergamonic Anatolia under the Attalids, and Macedon and Greece itself, as led by the Antigonids.

Under the Antigonids, Greece was no longer the center of the Mediterranean world. In fact, Antigonid Macedon was frequently consumed by civil war and foreign invasion. By the reigns of Antigonus II and his son Antigonus III in the mid-3rd Century BCE, though, Antigonid dominion over Macedon and much of the rest of Greece was firmly secured.

Macedon’s prestige further increased with Philip V’s victories in the Social War against Sparta and its allies. However, it was his choice to ally with Barcid Carthage in the 2nd Punic War that ultimately doomed Macedon. The alliance drew the ire of the Roman Republic, who, in a series of 3 wars between 214 and 168, dismantled the Kingdom of Macedon and made its remnant into client republics. The defeat of a rebellion led by a pretender to the Antigonid throne in 148 BCE further extinguished the flame of Macedon.

JFD

Kathigitarkh
Yeah, I feel the same way - it'll probably be a wee while before I'm ready to leave Civ V behind, so it's good to hear that continued support is expected.

Wondering what the anticipated Update that Pouakai is working on could be. If it's a purely MC update I'd assume India, Mexico or the Ayyubids - though it could just as easily be a Greater Europe/Forgotten civ update.

Hm, to use AZ's "it's been 3000 years" meme for the India update, or for the Greece split, that is the question :p

Guandao

Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka
Here is my lousy attempt to make a Pergamon pedia entry. Can someone make improvements to this? I have no idea what to put in the Terrain section.
Spoiler :

History
The Kingdom of Pergamon once dominated western Anatolia under the rule of the Attalid dynasty.
Terrain
Beginning
Pergamon was first mentioned by Xenophon, who captured it in 399 BC. It was immediately recaptured by the Persians. In the period after Alexander the Great’s death, Pergamon fell under the control of Lysimachus, King of Thrace, in 301 BC. His lieutenant Philetaerus enlarged the town, but the Kingdom of Thrace collapsed. Pergamon became capital of a new kingdom founded by Philetaerus in 281 BC. In 261 BC, he bequeathed his possessions to his nephew Eumenes I (263-241 BC), who increased them greatly, leaving as heir his cousin Attalus (241-197 BC).
Attalid Rule
The Attalids became some of the most loyal supporters of Rome in the Hellenistic world. Under Attalus I, they allied with Rome against Philip V of Macedon, during the first and second Macedonian Wars, and again under Eumenes II (197-158 BC), against Perseus of Macedon, during the Third Macedonian War. Attalus was famed for his defeat of the Celtic invaders the Galatians. Pergamon ended up attacked by the Galatians with their ally Antiochus Hierax, ruler of Seleucid Asian Minor from his capital at Sardis. Attalus defeated them at the battle of Aphrodisium and subsequent battles. He gained control over all of Seleucid Asia Minor north of the Taurus Mountains. However, Achaeus, made governor of Seleucid Asia Minor by Antiochus III the Great, recovered all the lost territories of the Seleucids. In 218 BC, Attalus recaptured his former territories. Achaeus returned from an expedition and resumed hostilities with Attalus. Under a treaty of alliance with Attalus, Antiochus crossed the Taurus in 216 BC, attacked Achaeus and his capital of Sardis, taking it in 214 BC. Achaeus ended up put to death, with Antiochus regaining control of all his Asiatic provinces. Attalus had become allied with Philip V of Macedon’s enemies the Aetolian league. He ended up elected as a general of the Aetolian League. In 208 BC, a combined fleet of Pergamene and Roman ships failed to take Lemnus. Attalus was forced to return to Asia because he found out that King Prusias I of Bithynia, related to Philip by marriage, was moving against Pergamon. A treaty was drawn up in 205 BC, formally ending the First Macedonian War. Attalus retained the island of Aegina and little else. Peace was also made with Bithynia. Philip set out to expand his power in the Aegean. In 201 BC, he took over Samos. Then, he besieged Chios. These events caused Attalus to enter the war. The same year, Philip invaded Pergamon, but was unable to take the city. In 200 BC, Attalus was involved in the Second Macedonian War. In 198 BC, he returned to Greece to complete the conquest of Euboea begun the previous year. Soon joined by the Romans, they ended up with control of the entire island except for Chalcis. In 197 BC, at a council in Thebes, Attalus collapsed. Taken back to Pergamon, he ended up dying. His successors were not as renowned as him. Due to its rise in power, the city of Pergamon expanded greatly. After 188 BC, a massive city wall was constructed, 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) long and enclosing an area of approximately 90 hectares (220 acres). Surviving documents showed how the Attalid rulers supported the growth of towns by sending in skilled artisans and by remitting taxes. They allowed the Greek cities in their domains to maintain nominal independence. They sent gifts to the Greek cultural sites, such as Delphi and Delos. Invading Celtic peoples were defeated. The Acropolis of Pergamon was modeled after the one in Athens. When Attalus III (138-133 BC) died without an heir in 133 BC, he bequeathed the whole of Pergamon to Rome in order to prevent a civil war.
Roman Era
Not everyone in Pergamon accepted the rule of Rome. Aristonicus, who claimed to be Attalus’ brother as well as the son of Eumenes II, led a revolt among the lower classes. This revolt was put down in 129 BC, and Pergamon was divided among Rome, Pontus, and Cappadocia. The city was briefly the capital of the Roman province of Asia, before it was transferred to Ephesus. After a slow decline, the city was favored by several imperial initiatives under Hadrian (117-138). Pergamon was granted the title of metropolis and an ambitious building program was carried out. Massive temples, a stadium, a theatre, a huge forum, and an amphitheater were constructed. In addition, at the city limits the shrine to Asclepius was expanded into a lavish spa. This sanctuary grew in fame and was considered one of the most famous therapeutic and healing centers of the Roman world. Galen, after Hippocrates the most famous physician of antiquity, was born at Pergamon. The city became home to about 200,000 inhabitants and was an early seat of Christianity. It was badly damaged by an earthquake in 262 and sacked by the Goths shortly after.
Middle Ages to the Present
Anatolia was invaded by the Sassanids in c. 620. After they were driven out by the Byzantines, Pergamon was rebuilt on a much smaller scale by Emperor Constans II. It was sacked by the armies of Maslama ibn Abd al-Malik on their way to the siege of Constantinople in 717. Pergamon was absorbed into the baylik of the Karasids by 1336. The Ottoman Emirate took over the baylik in 1357. Ottoman Sultan Murad III had two large alabaster urns transported from the ruins of Pergamon and placed on two sides of the nave in the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. Today in modern Turkey, there is the town of Bergama near the ruins of the ancient city. The ruins are now a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Guandao

Here is the pedia for Attalus I. Pouakai, can you put up of list of the pedias which are still needed?

Spoiler :
Attalus I
History

Attalus I, surnamed Soter, ruled Pergamon, first as dynast, later as king, from 241 BC to 197 BC. He was the second cousin and the adoptive son of Eumenes I, his predecessor. During his reign, Attalus established Pergamon as a considerable power in the Greek East.
Early Life
Little is known about Attalus’ early life. His parents were Attalus and Antiochis. The elder Attalus was the son of a brother (also named Attalus) or both Philetaerus, the founder of the Attalid dynasty, and Eumenes, father of Eumenes I, Philetaerus’ successor. He is mentioned as a benefactor of Delphi, winning fame as a charioteer at Olympia, and was honored with a monument at Pergamon. Attalus was a young child when his father died, sometime before 241 BC, after which he was adopted by Eumenes I, the ruler of Pergamon. Attalus’ mother, Antiochis, was related to the Seleucid royal family, being a granddaughter of Seleucus I Nicator. Attalus married Apollonis, from Cyzicus. They had four sons, Eumenes, Attalus, Philetaerus and Athenaeus.
Victories Over the Galatians
According to the 2nd century AD Greek writer Pausanias, “the greatest of his (Attalus) achievements” was the defeat of the “Gauls”. The “Gauls” were actually the Galatians, immigrant Celts from Thrace, who had recently settled in Galatia in central Asia Minor. Since the time of Philetaerus, the Galatians had posed a problem for Pergamon and the rest of Asia Minor, by exacting tributes to avoid war or other repercussions. Attalus refused to pay them, being the first such ruler to do so. In response, the Galatians set out to attack Pergamon, Attalus met them near the sources of the river Caicus, and won a decisive victory. He took the name of Soter, meaning “savior”, and claimed the title of king. This victory brought Attalus legendary fame. On the acropolis of Pergamon was erected a triumphal monument, which included the famous sculpture the Dying Gail, commemorating this battle.
Conflict with the Seleucids
Several years after the first victory over the Galatians, Pergamon was attacked by them along with their ally Antiochus Hierax, the younger brother of Seleucus II Callinicus, and the ruler of Seleucid Asia Minor from his capital at Sardis. Attalus defeated them at the battle of Aphrodisium and again at a second battle in the east. Subsequent battles were fought and won against Antiochus alone: in Hellespontine Phrygia, near Sardis in the spring of 228 BC, and in the final battle of the campaign, further south in Caria on the banks of the Harpasus. As a result of these victories, Attalus gained control over all of Seleucid Asia Minor north of the Taurus Mountains. He was able to hold on to these gains in the face of repeated attempts by Seleucus III Ceraunus, eldest son and successor of Seleucus II, to recover the lost territory, culminating in Seleucus III crossing the Taurus, only to be assassinated by members of his army in 223 BC. Achaeus, who had accompanied Seleucus III, assumed control of the army. He was offered and refused the kingship in favor of Seleucus III’s younger brother Antiochus III the Great, who then made Achaeus governor of Seleucid Asia Minor north of the Taurus. Within two years, Achaeus had recovered all the lost Seleucid territories, “shut up Attalus within the walls of Pergamon”, and assumed the title of king. In 218 BC, while Achaeus was involved in an expedition to Selge, Attalus, with the help of some Galatians, recaptured his former territories. However, Achaeus returned from his victory in Selge in 217 BC and resumed hostilities with the Pergamene ruler. Under a treaty of alliance with Attalus, Antiochus crossed the Taurus in 216 BC, attacked Achaeus and besieged Sardis. In 214 BC, he was able to take the city, but the citadel remained under Achaeus’ control. Under the pretense of a rescue, Achaeus was finally captured and put to death. By 213 BC, Antiochus had regained control of all his Asiatic provinces.
Involvement in the Macedonian Wars
Thwarted in the east, Attalus now turned his attention westward. Perhaps out of concern for the ambitions of King Philip V of Macedon, he had sometime before 219 BC become allied with Philip’s enemies the Aetolian League, a union of Greek states in Aetolia in central Greece. Philip’s alliance with Hannibal of Carthage in 215 BC also caused concern in Rome, then involved in the Second Punic War. In 211 BC, a treaty was signed between Rome and the Aetolian League, a provision of which allowed for the inclusion of certain allies of the League, Attalus being one of these. He was elected one of the two generals of the Aetolian League. In 210 BC, his troops were likely involved in capturing the island of Aegina, used by the Pergamene king as his base of operations in Greece. In the following spring (209 BC), Philip marched south into Greece. Attalus himself went to Greece in July and was joined on Aegina by the Roman proconsul P. Sulpicius Galba. The following summer (208 BC), the combined fleet of 35 Pergamene and 25 Roman ships failed to take Lemnos, but occupied and plundered the countryside of the island of Peparethos. Attalus and Sulpicius then attended a meeting in Heraclea Trachinia of the Council of the Aetolians, at which the Roman argued against making peace with Philip. They sacked both Oreus, located on the northern coast of Euboea, and Opus, the chief city of eastern Locris. Sulpicius went to Oreus to collect the spoils, while Attalus stayed at Opus to collect his. With their forces divided, Philip attacked Opus. Attalus, caught by surprise, was barely able to escape to his ships. He was forced to return to Asia, because he learned that King Prusias I of Bithynia, related to Philip by marriage, was moving against Pergamon. Soon after, the Romans abandoned Greece to concentrate their forces against Hannibal. In 206 BC, the Aetolians sued for peace on conditions imposed by Philip. A treaty was drawn up at Phoenice in 205 BC, formally ending the First Macedonian War. Attalus retained Aegina, but had accomplished little else. The war between Attalus and Prusias must also have ended by that time.
In 205 BC, Rome turned to Attalus, as its only friend in Asia, for help concerning a religious matter. An unusual number of meteor showers caused concern in Rome, and inspection was made of the Sibylline Books, which discovered verses saying that if a foreigner were to make war on Italy, he could be defeated if the Magna Idaea, the Mother Goddess, associated with Mount Ida in Phyrgia, were brought to Rome. A delegation led by M. Valerius Laevinus, was dispatched to Pergamon, to seek Attalus’ aid. According to Livy, Attalus received the delegation warmly, and gave them the sacred stone considered “the Mother of the Gods”. In Rome, it became known as the Magna Mater.
Prevented by the treaty of Phoenice from expansion in the east, Philip set out to extend his power in the Aegean and in Asia Minor. In the spring of 201 BC, he took Samos. He then besieged Chios to the north. These events caused Attalus, allied with Rhodes, Byzantium, and Cyzicus, to enter the war. A large naval battle occurred in the strait between Chios and the mainland. Fifty-three decked warships and over one hundred and fifty smaller warships, took part on the Macedonian side, with sixty-five decked warships and a number of smaller warships on the allied side. During the battle Attalus, having become isolated from his fleet and pursued by Philip, was forced to run his three ships ashore, narrowly escaping by spreading various royal treasures on the decks of the grounded ships, causing his pursuers to abandon the pursuit in favor of plunder. The same year, Philip unsuccessfully invaded Pergamon. In 200 BC, Attalus became involved in the Second Macedonian War. Acarnanians with Macedonian support invaded Attica, causing Athens to seek help from the enemies of Philip. Attalus learned than Roman ambassadors were also at Athens and decided to go there at once. His reception at Athens was extraordinary. Sulpicius Galba, now consul, convinced Rome to declare war on Philip and asked Attalus to meet up with the Roman fleet and again conduct a naval campaign. IN the spring of 199 BC, the combined Pergamene and Roman fleets took Andros in the Cyclades, with the spoils going to the Romans and the island to Attalus. They went south, making a fruitless attack on the island of Kithnos. On land, they were repulsed at Cassandrea. They continued northeast along the Macedonian coast to Acanthus, which they sacked, after which they returned to Euboea. In Heraclea, the two leaders met with the Aetolians, who asked Attalus for a thousand soldiers. He refused, citing the Aetolians’ own refusal to honor Attalus’ request to attack Macedonia during Philip’s attack on Pergamon two years earlier. Attalus and the Romans attacked the city of Oreus twice before taking it over. Attalus returned to Pergamon, having been away for over two years. In the spring of 198 BC, Attalus returned to Greece with 23 quinqueremes joining a fleet of 20 Rhodian decked warships at Andros, to complete the conquest of Euboea. Soon joined by the Romans, the combined fleets took Eretria and later Carystus. The allies controlled all of Euboea except for Chalcis. The allied fleet then sailed for Cenchreae in preparation for an attack on Corinth. Meanwhile, the new Roman consul, Titus Quinctius Flamininus, had learned that the Achaean League, allies of Macedon, had had a change in leadership which favored Rome. Hoping to induce the Achaeans to abandon Philip, envoys were sent, including Attalus himself, to Sicyon, where they offered the incorporation of Corinth into the Achaean League. Impressed by the Pergamene king, the Sicyonians erected a colossal statue of him in their market place and instituted sacrifices in his honor. Some of the League agreed to join the alliance. Attalus led his army from Cenchreae through the Isthmus and attacked Corinth from the north, with the Romans attacking from the east and the Achaeans attacking from the west. However, the city held, and when Macedonian reinforcements arrived, the siege was abandoned. The Achaeans were dismissed, the Romans left for Corcyra, while Attalus sailed for Piraeus.
Death
Attalus died in 197 BC, shortly before the end of the second Macedonian war. Flamininus summoned Attalus to join him at Elateia and from there they traveled together to attend a Boeotian council in Thebes to discuss which side Boeotia would take in the war. At the council Attalus spoke first, reminding the Boeotians of the many things he and his ancestors had done for them, but during his address he stopped talking and collapsed, with one side of his body paralyzed. He was taken back to Pergamon, where he died around the time of the Battle of Cynoscephalae, which brought about the end of the Second Macedonian War. He was 72 years old. His eldest son Eumenes II succeeded him as King of Pergamon.
Judgment of History
Attalus I helped establish Pergamon as a considerable power in Asia Minor. He managed to gain territory from the Seleucids for a time. He was able to repel his enemies, among them the Galatians and Philip of Macedon. He left an impression on the peoples he met, including the Athenians and the Sicyonians. None of his successors have the fame that he has. Less is known of their accomplishments. Polybius remarked that even though Attalus left behind four grown-up sons, the matter of succession never became an issue. Although Pergamon ended up in Roman hands, Attalus will be remembered as its greatest ruler.

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.
Awesome, thank you so much! Here's the updated list.

Pergamon
  • Expanded DoM (Based off Senshi's one here)

Macedon
  • Expanded DoM (Based of Senshi's one here)

Sparta
  • Civ Pedia
  • Leader Pedia

Athens
  • DoM (Unless I missed it somewhere)
  • Civ pedia
  • Leader pedia

Guandao

Here is the pedia for Pericles

Spoiler :
Pericles
History

Pericles was arguably the most prominent and influential Greek statesman, orator and general of Athens during the Goldern Age. He was descended, through his mother, from the powerful and historically influential Alcmaeonid family. Pericles turned the Delian League into an Athenian empire, and promoted the arts and literature. Most of the surviving structures on the Athenian Acropolis were the result of an ambitious project started by him. He also fostered Athenian democracy to such an extent that critics called him a populist.
Early Life
Pericles was born c. 495 BC, in Athens. He was the son of the politician Xanthippus, who although ostracized in 485-484 BC, returned to Athens to command the Athenian contingent in the Greek victory at Mycale just five years later. Pericles’ mother was Agariste, a member of the powerful and controversial noble family of the Alcmaeonidae, and her familial connections played a crucial role in kickstarting Xanthippus’ political career. Agariste was the great-granddaughter of the tyrant of Sicyon, Cleisthenes, and the niece of the Athenian reformer Cleisthenes. According to Herodotus and Plutarch, Agariste dreamed, a few nights before Pericles’ birth, that she had borne a lion. One interpretation of the dream treats the lion as a traditional symbol of greatness, but the story may also allude to the unusually large size of Pericles’ skull, which became a popular target of contemporary comedians. Pericles belonged to the tribe of Acamantis. His early years were quiet; the introverted young Pericles avoided public appearances, instead preferring to devote his time to his studies. He learned music from the masters of the time, and he is considered to have been the first politician to attribute importance to philosophy. He enjoyed the company of the philosophers Protagoras, Zeno of Elea, and Anaxagoras. Pericles’ proverbial calmness and self-control are also often regarded as products of Anaxagoras’ influence. He was married to one of his closest relatives, with whom he had two sons, Paralus and Xanthippus, but he divorced her around 445 BC. His first wife’s name is unknown. The woman who became Pericles’ mistress was Aspasia of Miletus, which garnered many reactions. Even his own son Xanthippus did not hesitate to slander his father.
Entering Politics
In the spring of 472 BC, Pericles presented The Persians of Aeschylus at the Greater Dionysia as a liturgy. It has been argued that Pericles’ selection of this play, which presents a nostalgic picture of Themistocles’ famous victory at Salamis, shows that the young politicians was supporting Themistocles against his political opponent Cimon, whose faction succeeded in having Themistocles ostracized shortly afterwards. Pericles must have taken up a position of leadership by the early 460s BC, in his early or mid-thirties. In 463 BC, Pericles was the leading prosecutor of Cimon, the leader of the conservative faction who was accused of neglecting Athens’ vital interests in Macedon. Cimon was acquitted. Around 461 BC, the leadership of the democratic party decided it was time to take aim at the Areopagus, a traditional council controlled by the Athenian aristocracy, which had once been the most powerful body in the state. The leader of the party and mentor of Pericles, Ephialtes, proposed a reduction of the Areopagus’ powers. The Ecclesia (Athenian Assembly) adopted Ephialtes’ proposal without opposition. This reform signaled the beginning of a new era of “radical democracy”. The democratic party gradually became dominant in Athenian politics. In 461 BC, Pericles achieved the political elimination of Cimon using ostracism. The accusation was that Cimon betrayed his city by aiding Sparta. Pericles continued to promote a populist social policy. He proposed a decree that permitted the poor to watch theatrical plays without paying, with the state covering the cost of their admission. With other decrees, he lowered the property requirement for the archonship in 458-457 BC and bestowed generous wages on all citizens who served as jurymen in the Heliaia (Supreme court of Athens) sometime just after 454 BC. His most controversial measure, was a law of 451 BC limiting Athenian citizenship to those of Athenian parentage on both sides.
Leading Athens: the Early Years
Ephialtes’ murder in 461 BC paved the way for Pericles to consolidate his authority. He made his first military excursions during the First Peloponnesian War, which was caused in part by Athens’ alliance with Megara and Argos, and the subsequent reaction of Sparta. In 454 BC, Pericles attacked Sicyon and Acarnania. He then tried unsuccessfully to conquer Oeniadea on the Corinthian gulf before returning to Athens. In 451 BC, Cimon returned from exile and negotiated a five years’ truce with Sparta. Cimon stuck a power-sharing deal with his opponents, according to which Pericles would carry through the interior affairs and Cimon would be the leader of the Athenian army. In the mid-450s, the Athenians launched an unsuccessful attempt to aid an Egyptian revolt against Persia, which led to a prolonged siege of a Persian fortress in the Nile Delta. The besieging force was defeated and destroyed. In 451-450 BC, the Athenians sent troops to Cyprus. Cimon defeated the Persians in the Battle of Salamis, but died of disease in 449 BC. In the spring of 449 BC, Pericles proposed the Congress Decree, which led to a meeting of all Greek states in order to consider the question of rebuilding the temples destroyed by the Persians. The Congress failed because of Sparta’s stance. During the Second Sacred War, Pericles led the Athenian army against Delphi and reinstated Phocis in its sovereign rights on the oracle. In 447 BC, Pericles engaged in the expulsion of barbarians from the Thracian peninsula of Gallipoli, in order to establish Athenian colonists among its subjects. In 447 BC, the oligarch of Thebes conspired against the democratic faction. The Athenians demanded their immediate surrender, but after the Battle of Coronea, Pericles was forced to concede the loss of Boeotia in order to recover the prisoners taken in that battle. With Boeotia in hostile hands, Phocis and Locris became untenable and quickly fell under the control of hostile oligarchs. In 446 BC, Euboea and Megara revolted. Pericles crossed over to Euboea with troops, but was forced to return when the Spartan army invaded Attica. Through bribery and negotiations, Pericles defused the imminent threat, and the Spartans returned home. With the Spartan threat removed, Pericles crossed back to Euboea to crush the revolt there. The landowners of Chalcis lost their properties, while the residents of Histiaea were uprooted and replaced by 2,000 Athenian settlers. The crisis was brought to an official end by the Thirty Years’ Peace (winter of 446-445 BC) in which Athens relinquished most of its possessions and interests on the Greek mainland which it had acquired since 460 BC, and both Athens and Sparta agreed not to attempt to win over the other state’s allies.
Last Battle with the Conservatives and the Delian League
In 444 BC, the conservative and the democratic factions of Athens confronted each other in a fierce struggle. The ambitious new leader of the conservatives, Thucydides (not to be confused with the historian of the same name), accused Pericles of profligacy, criticizing the way he spent the money for the ongoing building plan. He managed to incite the ecclesia in his favor. Pericles responded resolutely, proposing to reimburse the city for all the expenses from his private property, under the term that he would make the inscriptions of dedication in his own name. His stance was greeted with applause, and Thucydides suffered an unexpected defeat. In 442 BC, the Athenian public voted to ostracize Thucydides from the city for 10 years and Pericles was once again the unchallenged ruler of the Athenian political arena. The process by which the Delian League transformed into an Athenian empire is generally considered to have begun well before Pericles’ time, as various allies in the league chose to pay tribute to Athens instead of manning ships for the league’s fleet, but the transformation was speeded and brought to its conclusion by Pericles. The Athenian defeat in Egypt led to the revolt of several allies, such as Miletus and Erythrae. Athens transferred the treasury of the alliance from Delos to Athens in 454-453 BC. By 450-449 BC, the revolts in Miletus and Erythrae were quelled and Athens restored its rule over its allies. Around 447 BC Clearchus proposed the Coinage Decree, which imposed Athenian silver coinage, weights and measures on all of its allies. Surplus from a minting operation was to go into a special fund, and anyone proposing to use it otherwise was subject to the death penalty. It was from the alliance’s treasury that Pericles drew the funds necessary to enable his ambitious building plane, centered on the Acropolis, including the Propylaea, the Parthenon and the golden statue of Athena, sculpted by Pericles’ friend, Phidias. In 449 BC, Pericles proposed a decree allowing the use of 9,000 talents to finance the major rebuilding program of Athenian temples.
Samian War and Personal Attacks
The Samian War was one of the last significant military events before the Peloponnesian War. After Thucydides’ ostracism, Pericles was re-elected yearly to the generalship, the only office he ever officially occupied, although his influence was so great as to make him the de facto ruler of the state. In 440 BC, Samos went to war against Miletus over control of the Ionian city of Priene. The Milesians came to Athens to plead their case against the Samians. When the Athenians ordered the two sides to stop fighting and submit the case to arbitration in Athens, the Samians refused. In response, Pericles passed a decree dispatching an expedition to Samos. In a naval battle, the Athenians led by Pericles and nine other generals defeated the forces of Samos and imposed on the island an Athenian administration. When the Samians revolted, Pericles compelled the rebels to capitulate after a tough siege of eight months. He then quelled a revolt in Byzantium, and gave a funeral oration to honor the soldiers who died in the expedition when he returned to Athens. Between 438-436 BC Pericles led Athens’ fleet in Pontus and established friendly relations with the Greek cities of the region. He also focused on internal projects, such as the fortification of Athens, and on the creation of new cleruchies, such as Andros, Naxos, Thurii, and Amphipolis. Pericles and his friends were never immune from attack. Just before the eruption of the Peloponnesian War, Pericles and two of his closest associates, Phidias and his companion, Aspasia, faced a series of personal and judicial attacks. Phidias, who had been in charge of all building projects, was first accused of embezzling gold meant for the statue of Athena, and then of impiety, because when he wrought the battle of the Amazons on the shield of Athena, he carved out a figure that suggested himself as a bald old man, and also inserted a very fine likeness of Pericles fighting with an Amazon. Aspasia was accused of corrupting the women of Athens in order to satisfy Pericles’ perversions. She was acquitted thanks to a rare emotional outburst of Pericles, but his friend Phidias died in prison. Another, Anaxagoras, was attacked by the ecclesia for his religious beliefs. The ecclesia attacked Pericles himself by asking him to justify his ostensible profligacy with, and maladministration of, public money.
Peloponnesian War
Many ancient historians lay the blame for the Peloponnesian War on Pericles and Athens. Pericles was convinced that the war against Sparta, which could not conceal its envy of Athens’ pre-eminence, was inevitable if unfortunate. He sent troops to Corcyra to reinforce the Corcyraean fleet, which was fighting against Corinth. In 433 BC, the enemy fleets fought at the Battle of Sybota, and a year later the Athenians fought Corinthian colonists at the Battle of Potidaea. During the same period, Pericles proposed the Megarian Decree, which excluded the merchants of Megara from the market of Athens and the ports in its empire. This ban strangled the Megarian economy and strained the fragile peace between Athens and Sparta, which was allied with Megara. After consultations with its allies, Sparta sent a delegation to Athens demanding certain concessions, such as the immediate expulsion of the Alcmaeonidae family, including Pericles, and the retraction of the Megarian Decree, threatening war if the demands were not met. In exchange for retracting the Megarian Decree, the Athenians demanded from Sparta to abandoned their practice of periodic expulsion of foreigners from their territory and to recognize the autonomy of its allied cities. These terms were rejected by the Spartans, and the two cities prepared for war. In 431 BC, Archidamus II, king of Sparta, sent a new delegation to Athens, demanding that the Athenians submit to Sparta’s demands. Athens refused to admit the emissaries, so the Spartans invaded Attica, founding no Athenians there. Pericles had arranged to evacuate the entire population of the region to within the walls of Athens. In seeing the pillage of their farms, the Athenians were outraged, and soon began to indirectly express their discontent towards their leader. While the Spartan army remained in Attica, Pericles sent a fleet of 100 ships to loot the coasts of the Peloponnese and charged the cavalry to guard the ravaged farms close to the walls of the city. During the autumn of 431 BC, Pericles led the Athenian forces that invaded Megara and a few months later (winter of 431-430 BC) he delivered his monumental and emotional Funeral Oration, honoring the Athenians who died for their city.
Later Life and Death
In 430 BC, the army of Sparta looted Attica for a second time. Unwilling to engage the Spartans in battle, Pericles again led a naval expedition to plunder the Peloponnese coast. In the summer of that same year, an epidemic broke out and devastated the Athenians. The exact identity of the disease is uncertain. The city’s plight triggered a new wave of public uproar, and Pericles was forced to defend himself in an emotional final speech. However, his enemies managed to deprive him of the generalship and fine him an amount estimated between 15 and 50 talents. Despite this, the Athenians forgave Pericles and re-elected him as general in 429 BC. That year, he witnessed the death of both his legitimate sons from his first wife, Paralus and Xanthippus, in the epidemic. Not even Aspasia could console him and the Athenian general died of the plague in the autumn of 429 BC. Pericles’ death was a disaster for Athens, according to Thucydides, because his successors were inferior to him. He was buried in a tomb along a road near the Academy.
Judgment in History
Pericles’ most visible legacy can be found in the literary and artistic works of the Golden Age. The Acropolis, though in ruins, still stands and is a symbol of modern Athens. In politics, it has been argued that a basic element of Pericles’ legacy is Athenian imperialism, which denies true democracy and freedom to the people of all but the ruling state. The promotion of such an arrogant imperialism is said to have ruined Athens. Nonetheless, Pericles is lauded as “the ideal type of the perfect statesman in ancient Greece”, and his Funeral Oration is nowadays synonymous with the struggle for participatory democracy and civic pride.

Guandao

Here is the pedia for Athens, how much more should be added to Senshi's DoMs?

Spoiler :
History
Athens was a powerful city-state during the classical period of Greece. A center for the arts, learning and philosophy, home of Plato’s Academy and Aristotle’s Lyceum, it is widely referred to as the cradle of Western civilization and the birthplace of democracy, largely because of its cultural and political impact on Europe and in particular the Romans.
Terrain and Climate
Athens sprawls across the central plain of Attica that is often referred to as the Athens or Attica Basin. The basin is bounded by four large mountains: Mount Aigaleo to the west, Mount Parnitha to the north, Mount Pentelicus to the northeast and Mount Hymettus to the east. Beyond Mount Aegaleo lies the Thriasian plain, which forms an extension of the central plain to the west. The Saronic Gulf lies to the southwest. Mount Parnitha is the tallest of the four mountains (1,413 m (4,636 ft). Athens is built around a number of hills. Lycabettus is one of the tallest hills of the city proper and provides a view of the entire Attica Basin. The geomorphology of Athens is deemed to be one of the most complex in the world because its mountains cause a temperature inversion phenomenon which, along with the Greek Government's difficulties controlling industrial pollution, was responsible for the air pollution problems the city has faced. The Cephissus river, the Ilisos and the Eridanos stream are the historical rivers of Athens. Athens has a subtropical Mediterranean climate (Köppen Csa) and receives just enough annual precipitation to avoid Köppen's BSh (semi-arid climate) classification. The dominant feature of Athens's climate is alternation between prolonged hot and dry summers and mild winters with moderate rainfall. With an average of 414.1 millimetres (16.30 in) of yearly precipitation, rainfall occurs largely between the months of October and April. July and August are the driest months, where thunderstorms occur sparsely once or twice a month. Winters are mild and rainy, with a January average of 8.9 °C (48.0 °F); in Nea Filadelfeia and 10.3 °C (50.5 °F) in Hellinikon; Snowstorms are infrequent but can cause disruption when they occur. Snowfalls are more frequent in the northern suburbs of the city. The annual precipitation of Athens is typically lower than in other parts of Greece, mainly in western Greece. As an example, Ioannina receives around 1,300 mm (51 in) per year, and Agrinio around 800 mm (31 in) per year. Daily average highs for July (1955–2004) have been measured at 33.7 °C (92.7 °F) at Nea Filadelfeia weather station, but other parts of the city may be even warmer, in particular its western areas partly because of industrialization and partly because of a number of natural factors, knowledge of which has been available from the mid-19th century. Temperatures often surpass 38 °C (100 °F) during the city's notorious heatwaves. Athens is affected by the urban heat island effect in some areas which is caused by human activity, altering its temperatures compared to the surrounding rural areas, and bearing detrimental effects on energy usage, expenditure for cooling, and health. The urban heat island of the city has also been found to be partially responsible for alterations of the climatological temperature time-series of specific Athens meteorological stations, because of its impact on the temperatures and the temperature trends recorded by some meteorological stations. On the other hand, specific meteorological stations, such as the National Garden station and Thiseio meteorological station, are less affected or do not experience the urban heat island. Athens holds the World Meteorological Organization record for the highest temperature ever recorded in Europe, at 48.0 °C (118.4 °F), which was recorded in the Elefsina and Tatoi suburbs of Athens on 10 July 1977.
Early Period
Athens has been inhabited from Neolithic times, possibly from the end of the 4th millennium BC, or nearly 5,000 years, according to books. By 1412 BC, the settlement had become an important center of the Mycenaean civilization and the Acropolis was the site of a major Mycenaean fortress whose remains can be recognized from sections of Cyclopean walls. On the summit of the Acropolis, below the later Erechtheion, cuttings in the rock have been identified as the location of a Mycenaean palace. Between 1250 and 1200 BC, a staircase was built down a cleft in the rock to reach a protected water supply, in a similar way to ones at Mycenae. Unlike other Mycenaean centers, such as Mycenae and Pylos, it is unclear whether Athens suffered destruction in about 1200 BC, an event often attributed to a Dorian invasion, and the Athenians always maintained that they were “pure” Ionians with no Dorian element. However, Athens went into economic decline for around 150 years following this. According to legend, Athens was formerly ruled by kings, a situation which may have continued up until the 9th century BC. It is believed that these kings stood at the head of a land-owning aristocracy known as the Eupatridae (the “well-born”), whose instrument of government was a council which met on the Hill of Ares (Areopagus), and appointed the chief city officials, the archons and the polemarch (commander-in-chief). Four tribes based upon family relationships dominated the area. The members had certain rights, privileges, and obligations. During this period, Athens succeeded in bringing the other towns of Attica under its rule. This process of synoikismos—the bringing together into one home—created the largest and wealthiest state on the Greek mainland, but it also created a larger class of people excluded from political life by the nobility. By the 7th century BC, social unrest had become widespread, and the Areopagus appointed Draco to draft a strict new code of law. When this failed, they appointed Solon, with a mandate to create a new constitution (in 594 BC).
Foundations for Democracy
The reforms that Solon initiated dealt with both political and economic issues. The economic power of the Eupatridae was reduced by forbidding the enslavement of Athenian citizens as a punishment for debt, by breaking up large landed estates and freeing up trade and commerce, which allowed the emergence of a prosperous urban trading class. Politically, Solon divided the Athenians into four classes, based on their wealth and their ability to perform military service. The poorest class, the Thetai who formed the majority of the population, received political rights for the first time and were able to vote in the Ecclesia (Assembly). But only the upper classes could hold political office. The Areopagus continued to exist but its powers were reduced. The new system laid the foundations for what eventually became Athenian democracy, but in the short term it failed to quell class conflict and after twenty years of unrest the popular party, led by Peisistratus, a cousin of Solon, seized power in 541 BC. Peisistratus was a very popular ruler, who made Athens wealthy, powerful, and a center of culture, and instituted Athenian naval supremacy in the Aegean Sea and beyond. He preserved the Solonian Constitution, but made sure that he and his family held all the offices of state. Peisistratus died in 527 BC and was succeeded by his sons Hippias and Hipparchus. They proved to be less adept rulers and in 514 BC, Hipparchus was assassinated. This led Hippias to establish a real dictatorship, which proved very unpopular, and he was overthrown in 510 BC. A radical politician with an aristocratic background named Cleisthenes then took charge, and it was he who established democracy in Athens. The reforms of Cleisthenes replaced the traditional four tribes with ten new ones, named after legendary heroes and having no class basis; they were in fact electorates. Each tribe was in turn divided into three trittyes, and each trittys had one or more demes, which became the basis of local government. The tribes each elected fifty members to the Boule, a council which governed Athens on a day-to-day basis. The Assembly was open to all citizens and was both a legislature and a supreme court, except in murder cases and religious matters, which became the only remaining functions of the Areopagus. Most public offices were filled by lot, although the ten strategoi (generals) were elected. This system remained remarkably stable, and with a few brief interruptions, it remained in place for 170 years, until Philip II of Macedon defeated Athens and Thebes at the Battle of Chaeronea in 338 BC.
Classical Athens
Prior to the rise of Athens, Sparta considered itself to be the leader of the Greeks. In 499 BC, Athens sent troops to aid the Ionian Greeks of Asia Minor, who were rebelling against the Persian Empire. This provoked two Persian invasions of Greece. In 490 BC, the Athenians, led by the soldier-statesman Miltiades, defeated the first invasion under Darius I at the Battle of Marathon. In 480 BC, the Persians returned under Darius’ son Xerxes. When a small Greek force holding the pass of Thermopylae was defeated, the Athenians evacuated Athens. It got captured and sacked twice by the Persians within one year after Thermopylae. Subsequently, the Athenians (led by Themistocles), with their allies, engaged the much larger Persian navy at sea in the Battle of Salamis. The Persians were routed, with their king Xerxes witnessing the defeat. This is considered a turning point in the war. In 479 BC, the Athenians and Spartans, with their allies, defeated the Persian army at the Battle of Plataea. However, Athens took the war to Asia Minor. These victories enabled it to bring most of the Aegean and many other parts of Greece together in the Delian League, an Athenian-dominated alliance. The period from the end of the Persian Wars to the Macedonian conquest marked the zenith of Athens as a center of literature, philosophy, and the arts. In Athens at this time, the political satire of the Comic poets at the theatres had a remarkable influence on public opinion. Some of the most important figures of Western cultural and intellectual history lived in Athens during this period: the dramatists Aeschylus, Aristophanes, Euripides and Sophocles, the physician Hippocrates, the philosophers Aristotle, Plato and Socrates, the historians Herodotus, Thucydides and Xenophon, the poet Simonides, and the sculptor Phidias. The leading statesman of this period was Pericles, who used the tribute paid by the Delian League members to build the Parthenon and other great monuments of classical Athens. The resentment felt by other cities at the hegemony of Athens led to the Peloponnesian War, which began in 431 BC and pitted Athens and its increasingly rebellious overseas empire against a coalition of land-based states led by Sparta. The democracy in Athens was briefly overthrown by a coup in 411 BC, due to its poor handling of the war, but it was quickly restored. The conflict ended in 404 BC with a victory for Sparta and the end of Athenian command of the sea. This civil war left the Greeks weak and divided leading to Macedon taking over Greece. Sparta's former allies soon turned against her, due to her imperialist policy, and soon Athens' former enemies Thebes and Corinth had become her allies; they fought with Athens and Argos against Sparta in the indecisive Corinthian War (395 – 387 BC). Opposition to Sparta enabled Athens to establish a Second Athenian League. Finally, Thebes defeated Sparta in 371 BC in the Battle of Leuctra. But then the Greek cities (including Athens and Sparta) turned against Thebes, whose dominance was stopped at the Battle of Mantinea (362 BC) with the death of its military-genius leader Epaminondas.
Athens under the Macedonian and Roman Rule
By the mid-4th century BC, however, the northern Greek kingdom of Macedon was becoming dominant in Athenian affairs, despite the warnings of the last great statesman of independent Athens, Demosthenes. In 338 BC the armies of Philip II defeated an alliance of some of the Greek city-states including Athens and Thebes at the Battle of Chaeronea, effectively ending Athenian independence. Subsequently, the conquests of his son Alexander the Great widened Greek horizons and made the traditional Greek city state obsolete. Athens remained a wealthy city with a brilliant cultural life, but ceased to be a leading power. In 88–85 BC, most Athenian buildings, both houses and fortifications, were leveled by the Roman general Sulla (138 BC – 78 BC), although many civic buildings and monuments were left intact. Under Rome, Athens was given the status of a free city because of its widely admired schools. The Roman emperor Hadrian, in the 2nd century AD, constructed a library, a gymnasium, an aqueduct which is still in use, several temples and sanctuaries, a bridge and financed the completion of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. The city was sacked by the Heruli in AD 267, resulting in the burning of all the public buildings, the plundering of the lower city and the damaging of the Agora and Acropolis. After this the city to the north of the Acropolis was hastily refortified on a smaller scale, with the Agora left outside the walls. Athens remained a center of learning and philosophy during its 500 years of Roman rule, patronized by emperors such as Nero and Hadrian. The city remained an important center of learning, especially of Neoplatonism—with notable pupils including Gregory of Nazianzus, Basil of Caesarea and emperor Julian—and consequently a center of paganism. Christian items do not appear in the archaeological record until the early 5th century. The Emperor Justinian I closed down the city's philosophical schools in 529, an event whose impact on the city is much debated, but is generally taken to mark the end of the ancient history of Athens.
Byzantine Athens
From very early on the imperial period, but accelerating in the third century AD, the center of the Roman Empire moved towards the eastern half of the Mediterranean basin. The Empire became Christianized, and the use of Latin declined in favor of exclusive use of Greek: in the early Roman period, both languages had been used. The empire after this transition is known today as the Byzantine Empire due to its focus on the imperial capital at Constantinople, the old Greek city of Byzantion. The division is historically useful, but misleading, with an unbroken chain of emperors continuing up until the thirteenth century, and all citizens identifying themselves as fully Roman ("Rhomaioi"). The conversion of the empire from paganism to Christianity greatly affected Athens, resulting in reduced reverence for the city. Ancient monuments such as the Parthenon, Erechtheion and the Hephaisteion (Theseion) were converted into churches. As the empire became increasingly anti-pagan, Athens became a provincial town and experienced fluctuating fortunes. Many of its works of art were taken by the emperors to Constantinople. Athens was sacked by the Slavs in 582, but remained in imperial hands thereafter, as highlighted by the visit of Emperor Constans II in 662/3 and its inclusion in the Theme of Hellas. The city was threatened by Saracen raids in the 8th–9th centuries—in 896, Athens was raided and possibly occupied for a short period, an event which left some archaeological remains and elements of Arabic ornamentation in contemporary buildings—but there is also evidence of a mosque existing in the city at the time. In the great dispute over Byzantine Iconoclasm, Athens is commonly held to have supported the iconophile position, chiefly due to the role played by Empress Irene of Athens in the ending of the first period of Iconoclasm at the Second Council of Nicaea in 787. A few years later, another Athenian, Theophano, became empress as the wife of Staurakios (r. 811–812). Invasion of the empire by the Turks after the Battle of Manzikert in 1071, and the ensuing civil wars, largely passed the region by and Athens continued its provincial existence unharmed. When the Byzantine Empire was rescued by the resolute leadership of the three Komnenos emperors Alexios, John and Manuel, Attica and the rest of Greece prospered. Archaeological evidence tells us that the medieval town experienced a period of rapid and sustained growth, starting in the 11th century and continuing until the end of the 12th century. The agora or marketplace, which had been deserted since late antiquity, began to be built over, and soon the town became an important center for the production of soaps and dyes. The growth of the town attracted the Venetians, and various other traders who frequented the ports of the Aegean, to Athens. This interest in trade appears to have further increased the economic prosperity of the town. The 11th and 12th centuries were the Golden Age of Byzantine art in Athens. Almost all of the most important Middle Byzantine churches in and around Athens were built during these two centuries, and this reflects the growth of the town in general. However, this medieval prosperity was not to last. In 1204, the Fourth Crusade conquered Athens and the city was not recovered from the Latins before it was taken by the Ottoman Turks. It did not become Greek in government again until the 19th century.
Latin Athens
From 1204 until 1458, Athens was ruled by Latins in three separate periods. Athens was initially the capital of the eponymous Duchy of Athens, a fief of the Latin Empire which replaced Byzantium. After Thebes became a possession of the Latin dukes, which were of the Burgundian family called De la Roche, it replaced Athens as the capital and seat of government, although Athens remained the most influential ecclesiastical center in the duchy and site of a prime fortress. Under the Burgundian dukes, a bell tower was added to the Parthenon. The Burgundians brought chivalry and tournaments to Athens; they also fortified the Acropolis. They were themselves influenced by Byzantine Greek culture. In 1311, Athens was conquered by the Catalan Company, a band of mercenaries called Almogavars. It was held by the Catalans until 1388. After 1379, when Thebes was lost, Athens became the capital of the duchy again. The history of Aragonese Athens, called Cetines (rarely Athenes) by the conquerors, is obscure. Athens was a veguería with its own castellan, captain, and veguer. At some point during the Aragonese period, the Acropolis was further fortified and the Athenian archdiocese received an extra two suffragan sees. In 1388, the Florentine Nerio I Acciajuoli took the city and made himself duke. The Florentines had to dispute the city with the Republic of Venice, but they ultimately emerged victorious after seven years of Venetian rule (1395–1402). The descendants of Nerio I Acciajuoli ruled the city (as their capital) until the Turkish conquest of 1458.
Ottoman Athens
The first Ottoman attack on Athens, which involved a short-lived occupation of the town, came in 1397, under the Ottoman generals Yaqub Pasha and Timurtash. Finally, in 1458, Athens was captured by the Ottomans under the personal leadership of Sultan Mehmed II. As the Ottoman Sultan rode into the city, he was greatly struck by the beauty of its ancient monuments and issued a firman (imperial edict) forbidding their looting or destruction, on pain of death. The Parthenon was converted into Athens' main mosque. Under Ottoman rule, the city was denuded of any importance and its population severely declined, leaving Athens as a "small country town". From the early 17th century, Athens came under the jurisdiction of the Kizlar Agha, the chief black eunuch of the Sultans' harem. The city had originally been granted by Sultan Ahmed I (r. 1603–1617) to Basilica, one of his favourite concubines, who hailed from the city, in response of complaints of maladministration by the local governors. After her death, Athens came under the purview of the Kizlar Agha.The Turks began a practice of storing gunpowder and explosives in the Parthenon and Propylaea. In 1640, a lighting bolt struck the Propylaea, causing its destruction. In 1687, during the Morean War, Athens was besieged by the Venetians under Francesco Morosini, and the temple of Athena Nike was dismantled by the Ottomans to fortify the Parthenon. A shot fired during the bombardment of the Acropolis caused a powder magazine in the Parthenon to explode (26 September), and the building was severely damaged, giving it the appearance we see today. The occupation of the Acropolis continued for six months and both the Venetians and the Ottomans participated in the looting of the Parthenon. One of its western pediments was removed, causing even more damage to the structure. The Venetians occupied the town, converting its two mosques into Catholic and Protestant churches, but on 9 April 1688 they abandoned it again to the Ottomans. Ancient monuments were destroyed to provide material for a new wall which the Ottomans built around the city in 1777. Between 1801 and 1805 Lord Elgin, the British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, arranged for the removal of many sculptures from the Parthenon (the Elgin marbles). Along with the Panathenaic frieze, one of the six caryatids of the Erechtheion was extracted and replaced with a plaster mold. All in all, fifty pieces of sculpture were carried away, including three fragments purchased by the French. Athens produced some notable intellectuals during this era, such as Demetrius Chalcondyles (1424–1511), who became a celebrated Renaissance teacher of Greek and of Platonic philosophy in Italy. Chalcondyles published the first printed editions of Homer (in 1488), of Isocrates (in 1493), and of the Suda lexicon (in 1499), and a Greek grammar (Erotemata). His cousin Laonicus Chalcondyles (c. 1423–1490) was also a native of Athens, a notable scholar and Byzantine historian and one of the most valuable of the later Greek historians. He was the author of the valuable work Historiarum Demonstrationes (Demonstrations of History) and was a great admirer of the ancient writer Herodotus, encouraging the interest of contemporary Italian humanists in that ancient historian. In the 17th century, Athenian-born Leonardos Philaras (c. 1595–1673), was a Greek scholar, politician, diplomat, advisor and the Duke of Parma's ambassador to the French court, spending much of his career trying to persuade western European intellectuals to support Greek independence.
Independence and Becoming Capital of Greece
In 1822, a Greek insurgency captured the city, but it fell to the Ottomans again in 1826 (though Acropolis held till June 1827). Again the ancient monuments suffered badly. The Ottoman forces remained in possession until March 1833, when they withdrew. At that time, the city (as throughout the Ottoman period) had a small population of an estimated 400 houses, mostly located around the Acropolis in the Plaka. In 1832, Otto, Prince of Bavaria, was proclaimed King of Greece. He adopted the Greek spelling of his name, King Othon, as well as Greek national dress, and made it one of his first tasks as king to conduct a detailed archaeological and topographical survey of Athens, his new capital. He assigned Gustav Eduard Schaubert and Stamatios Kleanthis to complete this task. At that time, Athens had a population of only 4,000 – 5,000 people, located in what today covers the district of Plaka in the city state Athens. Athens was chosen as the Greek capital for historical and sentimental reasons. There are few buildings dating from the period of the Byzantine Empire or the 18th century. Once the capital was established, a modern city plan was laid out and public buildings were erected. The finest legacy of this period are the buildings of the University of Athens (1837), the Old Royal Palace (now the Greek Parliament Building) (1843), the National Gardens of Athens (1840), the National Library of Greece (1842), the Greek National Academy (1885), the Zappeion Exhibition Hall (1878), the Old Parliament Building (1858), the New Royal Palace (now the Presidential Palace) (1897) and the Athens Town Hall (1874). In 1896 the city hosted the 1896 Summer Olympics.
Athens in the 20th and 21st Centuries
Athens experienced its second period of explosive growth following the disastrous war with Turkey in 1921, when more than a million Greek refugees from Asia Minor were resettled in Greece. Suburbs such as Nea Ionia and Nea Smyrni began as refugee settlements on the Athens outskirts. Athens was occupied by the Germans during World War II and experienced terrible privations during the later years of the war. The Great Famine (Greece) was heavy in the city. Several resistance organizations were created. After the liberation, in 1944, there was heavy fighting in the city between the communist forces and the government forces backed by the British. After World War II the city began to grow again as people migrated from the villages and islands to find work. Greek entry into the European Union in 1981 brought a flood of new investment to the city, but also increasing social and environmental problems. Athens had some of the worst traffic congestion and air pollution in the world at that time. This posed a new threat to the ancient monuments of Athens, as traffic vibration weakened foundations and air pollution corroded marble. The city's environmental and infrastructure problems were the main reason why Athens failed to secure the 1996 centenary Olympic Games. Following the failed attempt to secure the 1996 Summer Olympics, both the city of Athens and the Greek government, aided by European Union funds, undertook major infrastructure projects such as the new Athens Airport and a new metro system. The city also tackled air pollution by restricting the use of cars in the center of the city. As a result, Athens was awarded the 2004 Olympic Games. Despite the skepticism of many observers, the games were a great success and brought renewed international prestige (and tourism revenue) to Athens. Athens was chosen as the reference city for the 14th dokumenta major international art Event in 2017 under the title Learning from Athens.

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.
Perfect, thanks again! The DoMs should be a little longer (enough to take up most of the box ingame) and be essentially grandiose propaganda pieces. Here's the updated list.

Pergamon
  • Expanded DoM (Based off Senshi's one here)

Macedon
  • Expanded DoM (Based of Senshi's one here)

Sparta
  • Civ Pedia
  • Leader Pedia

Athens
  • DoM (Unless I missed it somewhere)

senshidenshi

Switched the Red and Blue channels
I did do a Pericles DoM aaaaaaaages back and posted it twice, but it's the same length as my other DoMs. I tried to make them around Firaxis length :p

Top Bottom