More Civilisations

I've been (lightly) campaigning for a Lan Xang civ for a few days now, seeing that Laos has never had representation in any form. I've come up with some preliminary ideas for it in case there's any interest.

Spoiler :

Lan Xang

Leader: Visunarat
*Visunarat, also known as Vixun or Visoun, was king of Lan Xang from 1500 to 1520. His reign is considered the first golden age of Lan Xang, as it was an era of peace and prosperity with a lot of new construction, and Visunarat himself was a patron of literature.

Preferred religion: (Theravada) Buddhism

UA: Roads of the Lam. Gains 1 additional Trade Route for every type of Luxury Resource worked.
*Lan Xang was a major hub of trade, and its craftsmanship was particularly renowned in the region. I think that would be a good aspect of its history to represent. Lam is the word for a Lao merchant; the name may need work, but unfortunately I lack the ability to render it in Lao.

From Wikipedia: "Lan Xang was at the center of the overland trade routes in Southeast Asia. . . .

Elephants, ivory, benzoin resin (similar to Frankincense), lac (used in lacquer production), cardamom, beeswax, rhinoceros horn, along with porcupine quills and a variety of skins were commonly traded. Of particular importance was the deer skin trade, which was in high demand in China and Japan and would reach its way to market having gone through Ayutthayan trade posts.

Lao craftsmanship in silk production, weaving, gold, and especially silver was in high demand. Villages would specialize in a particular craft or skill where they would manufacture tools, weapons, pottery, paper, jewelry, alcohol (lao-lao), elephant training or other unique trades."

UU: I've had trouble finding anything good. Some kind of war elephant would probably be best, given that "Lan Xang" is short for "Lan Xang Hom Khao", which apparently means "A Million Elephants Under the White Parasol"; elephants should be part of the design somehow. What its abilities would be or what it should actually be called, I haven't been able to figure out.

UB: Sculpture Garden. Replaces Garden. Same effects as Garden, but does not require fresh water. Also produces Faith and has one slot for a Great Work of Art.
*Based on the tradition of Lao Buddhist sculpture.

The icon of Lan Xang should be based on this:

Edit: Huh. When I started typing, there hadn't been a post in this thread in eight days. Now it just looks like I've barged into a celebration of Scotland to drone on about Laos irrelevantly. (Irrelephantly?) Oh well. I'll just leave this here. Maybe it can still generate some interest afterward.

Was not expecting two versions of Scotland on the same day... and with such perfect timing! :crazyeye:
Probably don't pay enough attention to this thread... mostly follow JFD and CL
AND two very different takes on Scotland. But which one do I play as first - one medieval and one industrialish. Maybe Viregel can absorb this civ into his collection? It seems to fit in well.. ;)

Well done to all invovled. The leaderscreen is stunning. Depending on the result of the referendum, that will influence which one I try first!

So you use my Denmark two-handed swordsman unit model for Gallowglass? It is my honor, however I don't think it is suitable, I would like to make a Gallowglass model soon.;)

I'll confirm the Oman bug is still happening on my end as well.

Thoroughly enjoying Scotland. Still only in the first game with them, but they are fun. Have not had a war, so the Gallowglasses were not used much. Like the clan castles though.

How would you say Robert the Bruce is as an opponent?

I've been (lightly) campaigning for a Lan Xang civ for a few days now, seeing that Laos has never had representation in any form. I've come up with some preliminary ideas for it in case there's any interest.

Spoiler :

Lan Xang

Leader: Visunarat
*Visunarat, also known as Vixun or Visoun, was king of Lan Xang from 1500 to 1520. His reign is considered the first golden age of Lan Xang, as it was an era of peace and prosperity with a lot of new construction, and Visunarat himself was a patron of literature.

Preferred religion: (Theravada) Buddhism

UA: Roads of the Lam. Gains 1 additional Trade Route for every type of Luxury Resource worked.
*Lan Xang was a major hub of trade, and its craftsmanship was particularly renowned in the region. I think that would be a good aspect of its history to represent. Lam is the word for a Lao merchant; the name may need work, but unfortunately I lack the ability to render it in Lao.

From Wikipedia: "Lan Xang was at the center of the overland trade routes in Southeast Asia. . . .

Elephants, ivory, benzoin resin (similar to Frankincense), lac (used in lacquer production), cardamom, beeswax, rhinoceros horn, along with porcupine quills and a variety of skins were commonly traded. Of particular importance was the deer skin trade, which was in high demand in China and Japan and would reach its way to market having gone through Ayutthayan trade posts.

Lao craftsmanship in silk production, weaving, gold, and especially silver was in high demand. Villages would specialize in a particular craft or skill where they would manufacture tools, weapons, pottery, paper, jewelry, alcohol (lao-lao), elephant training or other unique trades."

UU: I've had trouble finding anything good. Some kind of war elephant would probably be best, given that "Lan Xang" is short for "Lan Xang Hom Khao", which apparently means "A Million Elephants Under the White Parasol"; elephants should be part of the design somehow. What its abilities would be or what it should actually be called, I haven't been able to figure out.

UB: Sculpture Garden. Replaces Garden. Same effects as Garden, but does not require fresh water. Also produces Faith and has one slot for a Great Work of Art.
*Based on the tradition of Lao Buddhist sculpture.

The icon of Lan Xang should be based on this:

Edit: Huh. When I started typing, there hadn't been a post in this thread in eight days. Now it just looks like I've barged into a celebration of Scotland to drone on about Laos irrelevantly. (Irrelephantly?) Oh well. I'll just leave this here. Maybe it can still generate some interest afterward.

Was I just a victim of my own bad timing, or is there genuinely no interest in a Lan Xang / Laos civ? I'd have made my own, but that would require coding knowledge and artistic abilities that I don't have, so I thought I'd plant the idea in the community and see if any of the experts would take it on. But if I'm actually the only one that wants this civ, I'll stop posting about it.

I may be working on Lan Xang, actually.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I asked something some time ago, and no one answered me:
Why, if I save a game with the ayyubids, when I load it, I get cavalry for every prophet I got???
Help me please!

I enjoy that Lan Xang concept quite a bit. That ability is right up my alley. The building is a bit too similar to the Candi, however.

The ability is cool but would need to be toned down quite a bit. You only normally get 8 trade routes the entire game, and just giving Venice 8 more is enough to compensate for their inability to settle cities. There are 25 luxury resources in the base game (plus the recent trend of a bunch of civs adding civ specific luxury resources), not to mention you'll be getting a bunch of these really early in the game.

Top Bottom