More Space Maps?

Snofru1

Emperor
There are excellent space maps by @KaTiON_PT , one containing a large Earth map (124x200 total, Earth part 124x55) and another one with a small alternative Earth map (60x143 total, "Earth" part 60x40).
I have played the smaller one until the end of the tech tree and it was a lot of fun, although then the map wasn´t even in its final stage.

Now there are just these 2 maps and other space maps can´t be created inside C2C, at least until someone will be able to add this functionality which seems to be pretty complex.

I have never done anything in map creation and probably I am very naive but couldn´t there be a kind of copy and paste approach to create at least a few more space maps?

The idea:
In game we could produce a number of random maps with a good map creator ("World" by Toffer, Tectonic or PerfectWorld 2f), both in 124x55 and 60x40. Now we take the existing space maps from Kation and "simply" replace the Earth parts by the ones just created. I don´t care too much about the details of the space area and it would be alright to have the same one on every map, but always playing on the same Earth is boring.

So what do you think? Am I talking complete nonsense or can we create new space maps without too much effort?

Is it in general possible to copy parts of a map onto another one?
Are there Tutorials how to create or change a map?
Yes its possible, but its harder to do so on vertically layered maps than on horizontal ones.

Is it in general possible to copy parts of a map onto another one?
Are there Tutorials how to create or change a map?

Yes, it is possible. I used a map of @crossclayton in my space map. But you have to do this by manually changing the coordinates in the notebook for each tile. Work is very dreary and the slightest mistake or inattention can devalue it all.

If you try to “rotate” the map, then it will take a serious preliminary preparation for recalculating which tile should become what. So serious that I personally would not take it up at all.

Yes, it is possible. I used a map of @crossclayton in my space map. But you have to do this by manually changing the coordinates in the notebook for each tile. Work is very dreary and the slightest mistake or inattention can devalue it all.

If you try to “rotate” the map, then it will take a serious preliminary preparation for recalculating which tile should become what. So serious that I personally would not take it up at all.

I think @KaTiON_PT did something like that.

I built it from scratch.

To start things I needed an outline of what was land and what was water, so I took a map of earth and reduced it so that each pixel represented a plot, something like this (for 100x55):

Example.png

In the text file I then started to write down what was land and what was water, like so:
Code:
BeginPlot
    x=35,y=185
    TerrainType=TERRAIN_GRASSLANDS
    PlotType=2
EndPlot
I used the selection tool to draw a line where there was continuous land or water so I could save some time writing them down.

After all 5500 plots are placed I then went into world builder and started editing the map proper, adding different biomes, improvements, terrain features and microsculpting some areas to be better looking.

Reactions: tmv
After all 5500 plots are placed I then went into world builder and started editing the map proper, adding different biomes, improvements, terrain features and microsculpting some areas to be better looking.

And you are not at all tedious!!! :eek:

To draw directly in the editor, referring to the map with a grid overlaid - much easier and faster.

@Snofru1 you should update random Earth space maps, as resource generation was changed both in bonus defines and World map script.

These are finished maps with fixed resources so I can´t change them, I only can make them completely anew. The maps with 100% and 200% resources seem to be fine and the map with 50% resources already was made with the new script.
You still could remake Earth part and paste it in existing maps as you were doing it previously.

Top Bottom