Most OP civilzation?

APCY

Chieftain
Hi guys just wondering what do you think which is the most op civilization right now and needs a huge nerf? Or this game is probably well balanced? :)

I think zulus is too strong, their maintance , exp and that unique unit stomps everyone, even in deity its makes fighting look easy.

I think zulus is too strong, their maintance and that unique unit stomps everyone, even in deity its makes fighting look easy.

Well, Germany gets a better maintance in my opinion and most of Zulu's abilities fades as they get rifles and other late tech units that do not count as melee units.

They are strong at the early game however if they can't use their advantage at that time you will basicly get a vanilia civ with some exp bonues and a bit less maintance.

I found the mongol keshiks to be way too OP at war. Compared to regular wars with every other civ I played you will lose units and have to heal up after every battle, war takes a long time. With the mongols you don't take any damage and can just sweep across the map capturing every city with no losses at all, definitely overpowered.

poland is my fav civ bc their UA is so open ended. You essentially get a little over a free policy tree with them. However, i don't think they are overpowered. I've done well with them, other times I've done terrible with them.

There's a thread already going about how powerful, or maybe even OP, Poland is.

I don't think even Poland needs a "huge" nerf. Just removing its first social policy would probably make it no longer a top 5 civ. Would still be very good though.

All three science civs are overpowered, because
everything right now besides military is so heavily tied to science. Maya, Korea, Babylon. These civs are powerful more because science is powerful, than anything else. All of their science bonuses should be cut in half, or a major science mechanic reform is needed (perhaps by removing globalization and internet, and build their bonuses in earlier or have them trigger with something non-science related).

And then, there's Arabia. One of the best economic bonuses in the game (4 parts!), one of the best military units, and one of the best religion bonuses synergized with a desert start. They'd be a balanced civ with any of those three things... But they have all three. So, get please get rid of like half of their 6 separate bonuses.

To be honest I question whether science is as important as previous iterations of the game, especially on deity where you're not going to be getting wonders anyway. What good is having the tech for things when you don't have enough production or the money to put it on the map? And with all the ways to catch up when you're behind in science now... well, being behind isn't anywhere near as bad as it was in civ 4.
A proper balance is required, and if you find you do better with the science civs, probably science was just your biggest weakpoint.

rather than looking for OP civs, i will look at under power civs

Some civs are very powerful in certain capacities, but lack in others. I wouldn't call them OP. Poland is probably the closest, but I think it is fine. Poland can be beat.

I think zulus is too strong, their maintance , exp and that unique unit stomps everyone, even in deity its makes fighting look easy.

Yep. Here's the Zulus military force:

• 50% less maintenance fees
  • 25% faster promotions
  • Their unique barracks provide these consecutive promotions:
    Buffalo Horns: +1 movement, +25% flank attack bonus, +10% defence against ranged attacks (Granted automatically)
    Buffalo Chest: +10% open terrain bonus, +25% flank attack bonus, +10% defence against ranged attacks (Requires Buffalo Horns)
    Buffalo Loins: +10% combat strength, +25% flank attack bonus, +10% defence against ranged attacks (Requires Buffalo Chest)
  • Despite being in the spear/pikeman tree, Impi unit can be upgraded to rifleman

Overpowered beyond belief. I had to quit my game early when I used them as it was just so ridiculously easy and boring.

To be honest I question whether science is as important as previous iterations of the game, especially on deity where you're not going to be getting wonders anyway. What good is having the tech for things when you don't have enough production or the money to put it on the map? And with all the ways to catch up when you're behind in science now... well, being behind isn't anywhere near as bad as it was in civ 4.
A proper balance is required, and if you find you do better with the science civs, probably science was just your biggest weakpoint.

That is very true:

The people thinking these civs are to strong in my opinion are either:

Want fast wins (fast is not = safest)
Or are bad at science like you said.

Production, food, gold and happines are all more important then science in my opinion.

There's a vc for science.... And to get to the other 2 VCs now on deity you either have to pray the AI screws up or hit the end of the tech tree.

Culture is more complicated, but for science and diplo.... Gold is not that hard to get. The only things that matter are staying alive, easy, no one ever attacks me and other UAs don't benefit in any case... And growth/science!

I don't understand the safety issue. I've played dozens of non-aggressive BNW games on deity and have literally only been dow-ed once going 4 city tradition peaceful. Just learn how AI diplo works.

Yep. Here's the Zulus military force:

• 50% less maintenance fees
  • 25% faster promotions
  • Their unique barracks provide these consecutive promotions:
    Buffalo Horns: +1 movement, +25% flank attack bonus, +10% defence against ranged attacks (Granted automatically)
    Buffalo Chest: +10% open terrain bonus, +25% flank attack bonus, +10% defence against ranged attacks (Requires Buffalo Horns)
    Buffalo Loins: +10% combat strength, +25% flank attack bonus, +10% defence against ranged attacks (Requires Buffalo Chest)
  • Despite being in the spear/pikeman tree, Impi unit can be upgraded to rifleman

Overpowered beyond belief. I had to quit my game early when I used them as it was just so ridiculously easy and boring.
Zulu only get reduced maintenance on melee units not 50% on all units

Poland, Babylon, Korea, Ethiopia and Arabia are all very strong. America and Denmark might be a bit weak comparatively. Overall, though, I believe this game is very balanced from a civ point of view. Every time I try to play as a different civ, and every time I find myself having fun using their unique attributes without feeling overpowered or underpowered. Honestly, civ balance and civ design is probably one of the best parts of this game, since they all feel somewhat different while having their own strengths that work pretty uniquely. There are a lot of civs where I go "this is awesome", but no civs aside from possibly Poland where I go "This is way too strong, I have 0 chance of losing this game". Apparently some other people don't think Poland is OP though, so it might have just been a really good start and experience that added on to the already strong civ more than anything.

I'm in agreement with most of the others. The game seems very balanced, and it doesn't take much for a civ to feel overpowered in the hands of someone who understands his or her strengths and weaknesses (both as a civ and a player).

Inversely, I would ask which civs are so difficult to play as that they relegate themselves to a lower tier. In that vein, the Iroquois, I think, have huge deficits in their UA and UB (compared to others) that make them a tough play in the late game. Like Pepo said.

Well, Germany gets a better maintance in my opinion and most of Zulu's abilities fades as they get rifles and other late tech units that do not count as melee units.

They are strong at the early game however if they can't use their advantage at that time you will basicly get a vanilia civ with some exp bonues and a bit less maintance.

If you can keep the impi alive, they transform into amazing rifles and infantry, and then after infantry becomes less important, they can produce bombers/fighters that start with air repair in all of their cities, even before the exp bonus autocracy policy. The Zulu are not just an early game warring monster, but can be a threat throughout the game.

That said, happiness and gold certainly limits the amount you can conquer effectively, and you aren't going to have the best diplomacy as the Zulu. Your army can kill everything nearby, but an efficient civ on the other side of the continent or on another continent might still be able to tech up faster than you and outmatch you later in the game, so it's not a guaranteed victory.

I don't understand the safety issue. I've played dozens of non-aggressive BNW games on deity and have literally only been dow-ed once going 4 city tradition peaceful. Just learn how AI diplo works.

Go play a tiny map next to Shaka, Attila, and Ghengis, then come back and try and say that again. An extreme example, but it illustrates the disparity settings cause between peaceful and non-peaceful games. Availability of empty space and AI personality are what matters. If you're consistently going uncontested, your maps probably aren't dense enough, or you're very lucky on your neighbor rolls. "Just learn how AI diplo works" is an incredibly cheap statement. The fact is it's rarely in your control after you found your first city.

Top Bottom