• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Most Overrated US President, and most Underrated (In-depth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it hilarious that you claim that JFK didn't have enough time to achieve more and thus he's excluded, yet you rate Obama as on of the most overrated? :crazy:

Isn't it hilarious that you claim that JFK didn't have enough time to achieve more and thus he's excluded, yet you rate Obama as on of the most overrated? :crazy:

Considering the hype of obamamania how can he not be hugely overrated?

I dont know if he is the most overrated, but he has to be up there.

I predict a bunch of liberals will vote Reagan simply for the reason libs hate him.

"Liberal" generally means supporter of new deal legislation, i.e. working class, and since Reagan's policies pretty much wrecked the economy in order to profit the richest fraction of the population, this seems reasonable. One does not need to be liberal in the political ideology sense, however, to recognize what a horrible mess Reagan's presidency was. Even ignoring economics, his re-escalation of the Cold War could easily have resulted in nuclear holocaust.

I think the point was that it is logically inconsistent to say Obama is overrated but JFK underestimated or just estimated. If they're not going to both be in the same category, if anything, it should be JFK who was overrated as he enjoyed significantly better approval ratings than Obama.

I predict a bunch of liberals will vote Reagan simply for the reason libs hate him.
Replace Reagan with Obama, liberals with conservatives (libs with cons goes without saying ... that's why I am saying it, logical consistency be damned), repeat statement.
Replace Obama with Reagan, repeat question.

Bipolar politics is bipolar :)

For the love of god, why is Harding underrated?
Harding was a saint compared to his predecessor. Woodrow Wilson was a warmongering, statist autocrat that used intimidation and imprisonment to bludgeon his political enemies.

I'm surprised Bill Clinton clusters so relatively low...

People love or hate Clinton now. However my feeling is that looking back on him from 50-100 years distance, he will be one of the presidents largely forgotten in the middle third someplace. The US has had a lot of presidents who didn't really accomplish all that much for good or ill, and most people really have to concentrate to remember them at all. They didn't really impact our history all that much. I think that's the eventual fate of Clinton, Carter, Ford, Eisenhower, and possibly one or 2 of the others that are recent enough that we tend to have stronger opinions of them.

I don't rate Ford or Carter. But I'm not sure about Eisenhower being on that list. Granted, Clinton probably falls into that. Still, he's probably been the best President since Nixon I would have thought. He's certainly more palatable than most of them.

Interesting stuff. First of all, why is Lincoln underrated? He was the best president that we ever had. Which is why I listed Washington on the Underrated honorable mentions list, because he was hypocritical in his handling of slavery. Still, he was an amazing leader, probably second best.

Obama is probably not the Antichrist, and I only say probably not because anybody could be. I strongly doubt he is. However, taking wealth from some and giving to others is Communist.

Still, FDR was probably the most overrated. Yes, he did great in the war, and he wasn't the worst president we've ever had, but since we say he's among the best, he's overrated

Obama and FDR are probably the most overrated while Eisenhower and Nixon are underrated.

Obama is probably not the Antichrist, and I only say probably not because anybody could be. I strongly doubt he is. However, taking wealth from some and giving to others is Communist.
Are you sure you want to stick to this statement?

Think carefully :)

edit: @LM, What makes Obama overrated by the way? I ask since it's a little to early to rate him as far as I'm concerned, so I wonder how he could be overrated.

Obamamania is long over. 40% of Americans strongly dissaprove of him as President at the moment. Hardly overrated.

In that case every government of any sort in the history of mankind has been communist.

That would seem the more likely explanation for this insistence that he is overrated. Heres a handy graph:

Hardly a picture of popularity.

Replace Reagan with Obama, liberals with conservatives (libs with cons goes without saying ... that's why I am saying it, logical consistency be damned), repeat statement.
Replace Obama with Reagan, repeat question.

Bipolar politics is bipolar :)

Uhm. I didnt say Obama was 'hands down' the most overrated like the majority of Reagan haters have. I simply was making a comment about the level of hype involved prior to him taking office.

To be honest I have no idea who I would vote the most overrated President is/was. That was take a bit of time to really think about.

The only thing that is over rated about Obama is getting a Nobel. It's way too early to speculate on his impact.

Couldn't have been racism or making tax rates for the rich really low (and raising it on the poor) or massive debt buildup? wages for the average worker staying stagnant?

Untermenschen (subhumans) scream Obamessiah?
"Liberal" generally means supporter of new deal legislation, i.e. working class, and since Reagan's policies pretty much wrecked the economy in order to profit the richest fraction of the population, this seems reasonable. One does not need to be liberal in the political ideology sense, however, to recognize what a horrible mess Reagan's presidency was. Even ignoring economics, his re-escalation of the Cold War could easily have resulted in nuclear holocaust.

I think the point was that it is logically inconsistent to say Obama is overrated but JFK underestimated or just estimated. If they're not going to both be in the same category, if anything, it should be JFK who was overrated as he enjoyed significantly better approval ratings than Obama.
Reagan was a reverse Robin Hood
Harding was a saint compared to his predecessor. Woodrow Wilson was a warmongering, statist autocrat that used intimidation and imprisonment to bludgeon his political enemies.
you forgot White Supremacist
Interesting stuff. First of all, why is Lincoln underrated? He was the best president that we ever had. Which is why I listed Washington on the Underrated honorable mentions list, because he was hypocritical in his handling of slavery. Still, he was an amazing leader, probably second best.

Still, FDR was probably the most overrated. Yes, he did great in the war, and he wasn't the worst president we've ever had, but since we say he's among the best, he's overrated
LOLWUT??? Reagan is a Communist?

Overrated: JFK
Underrated: Theodore Roosevelt
Yes
He's strongly overrated as a bad president maybe? :confused:
hehe

Uhm. I didnt say Obama was 'hands down' the most overrated like the majority of Reagan haters have. I simply was making a comment about the level of hype involved prior to him taking office.
Uhm, no, I never implied you did, did I?

You predicted a lot of Reagan haters would pick Reagan simply because they hate them, don't you think the same can be said about Obama?

Don't you think there is a lot of hype about Reagan, you only have to look towards the teapariers, would you not conclude that he either made Mana rain from heaven or be overrated?

Cue Palin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom