MTDG3 Preparation PitBoss

I would like more feedback from the various players before raising the turn timer..

Great :) I will increase the timer to 36 PB hours then.

Sorry, was paused when I logged in, so I repaused it.

Clock running now.

Getting an error I've never seen before.

"The network socket encountered an error and was closed"

And it never connects to server.

Getting an error I've never seen before.

"The network socket encountered an error and was closed"

And it never connects to server.

It's because of all the crap I've been working on on the router tonight. Try again now and give me feedback whether it works or not if you would be so kind. :)

Working. Thanks!

Great! Thanks for confirming as well :)

I have had to resign on trying to fix this for now. Will try replacing the NICs upcoming week in the hope that that will fix it. It should not affect the Pitbosses any further though as that is not where my problem is. They work fine. :)

I am requesting a reload to last turn.

Civic and religion swap missions are obscenely broken. The ~200 EP mission employed by Filon last turn obsoletes 2 wonders and destroys a minimum of 2500 beakers in addition to a loss of ~100 XP and 50 promotions - and that is just with one usage. It's tantamount to taking two free techs with Liberalism, except even better as it's repeatable. For comparison, the city revolt mission is almost identically priced and costs 1 turn of production/beakers in 1 city.

If you wish to play on using the broken missions, please find a substitute for the Inca. I took on this game again hesitantly, knowing why the previous player resigned, but I have no desire to play on if broken spy missions are being abused. :)

As far as I know, all the spy missions are allowed in the main MTDG. So why in the preparations game, its should be banned? :confused:

I'm sorry, LP, but unless there is a strong majority among the players in the PB I cannot grant a reload based on a desire to change a rule midgame. I can't see how a reload would help either as Filon could just execute the same missions again, leaving you in the same position unless you intended to move in some kind of defense against his spies. And requesting a reload to move in spy defense is like requesting a reload to move in defense in a city you have lost in war.

I would have voted for such a rule at the beginning. However, I don't really support a mid-game change.

I will give my word I will not use them, as long as my opponents do not use them against me.

As far as I know, all the spy missions are allowed in the main MTDG. So why in the preparations game, its should be banned? :confused:
Aside from sharing an acronym the two games really have little in common. :confused:

The civic/religion spy missions are known to be obscenely broken, and my past experience with players is that it's common courtesy not to abuse known broken game elements.

Continued abuse of this exploit will heavily tilt the outcome of the game, as I'm sure is obvious. 50000 beakers can easily be destroyed across 100 turns with continued use of the religion mission alone, for just a few installments of a pitiful 200 EP. That's a farce of epic proportions.

However, if you see no problem with the abuse of such a major exploit, please find a substitute to continue playing the Inca. Alternatively I can convert the civ to AI.

My own feelings are quite firm, and I have no desire to play the next 100 or more turns against game exploits instead of rival civilizations. :)

I'm sorry, LP, but unless there is a strong majority among the players in the PB I cannot grant a reload based on a desire to change a rule midgame. I can't see how a reload would help either as Filon could just execute the same missions again, leaving you in the same position unless you intended to move in some kind of defense against his spies. And requesting a reload to move in spy defense is like requesting a reload to move in defense in a city you have lost in war.
If we reloaded then presumably the understanding would be that the broken civic/religion missions would not be used. All other missions would of course be fair game.

If the majority of the other players prefer no limitations on abuses of broken game elements, then of course the game can continue - but I will politely decline to continue playing the Inca. :)

I would have voted for such a rule at the beginning. However, I don't really support a mid-game change.
Fair enough. My own perspective is that this falls into the category of "don't abuse broken game elements" - just like not taking multiple techs with Liberalism or building two items in a city in one turn. In hindsight, it seems more explicit initial rules may have been useful though.

I will give my word I will not use them, as long as my opponents do not use them against me.
That's fine. I would not have a problem if others expressed a similar sentiment.

Could someone please pause the game while this situation is resolved?

The game is paused.

One thing is holding me back to feel sympathy for LP here and it is the ruthless way I had saw him alone break and exploits game mechanisms in other game (like double-moving and so on, I wont go in details again) to gain the upper hand and ruin the game for many decent folks and now he complains about being outplayed by a player using a technique, which as it turned out is considered legitimate by the bigger part of the Civ4 MP world (like for example the ISDG vote - 5 out of 9 teams voted YES to all espionage missions). I know, the self-proclaimed civ4 MP elite will be hurling insults ("you simply dont understand", "village idiots against Einstein", etc) again, but this does not change a thing.

And CSM is absolutely not the same as infinite techs from Liberalism or building two things in city in a single turn or getting enormous repetitive GPT deals from ally or whatever exploit. It is just very strong technique in the right situation. Like nukes for example. Are they banned from each and every game just because you play in it? I wont go and repeat all the arguments we had in the ISDG setup process.

Thank you for pausing the game, 2metra.

I hope you guys can resolve this without my intervention. If I am needed to arbiter though, let me know. I will follow the discussion.

Top Bottom