Multiplayer Q&A

Yes, of course. I make my own maps all the time and play them play-by-email. I usually don't customise them much, but I like changing Vikings, English and Spain to Expansionist on any maps I play to make them more competent (either as human or AI players).

I've heard of others playing the Middle Ages scenario (which is more than just a map file) play by email, so those kind of scenarios should work that way too.

Yes, they do work as flyingkitty already said. But I'd like to add that all players need to download the same custom scenario to play it in multiplayer. If it doesn't come with the disc, of course.

Arexander is right (if it's one of those custom ones where more than just a map file is involved). However, if it's just a custom map with different settings then only the starting player need have it.

i dont get how to set up hotseat games AT ALL
or how to change the options for any multiplayer game at all, like where u change the size etc etc, do you have to click something to change it??
if anyone could help i would appreciate it!!

I know exactly what you mean, I have played hotseat on my computer for years now.

All of a sudden I went to try to start a new hotseat game and the screen is different, all of the "arrows" which allow you to change the options are gone and its impossible to change anything including players, game rules and game type. The screen is basically a picture that is unable to be changed... you can't even start a game of any type.

What the hell is this? I've done the classic uninstall reinstall trick with little effect. :mad: Do I need a different version or what?

thanks.

:( I'm having the same problem as you now Daniel :| No Civ3 multiplayer games ever again...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll just need to rely on the saved ones I have :(

Can someone please tell me how to load a saved multyplayer game??When I load it its singleplayer.Thanks

Hi. I'm Inoé, from Spain. I'm new here. Nice to meet you and this civ forum at least.

I have a doubt about the multiplayer in Civ III conquests. I'm trying to start with my friends an e-mail multiplayer game with the "Rise of Rome" scenario.

My doubt is, can I change the starting game factions turn order? I think the scenario puts a default order for the faction turn cycle and I'd change it before start.

Cheers, and Thank you

Hello -

I am seeking for a way to play an internet multiplayer game.
After I found out that every game, turnbased or simulaneously played, could be loaded as a hotseat game I am really disappointed. How to prevent any cheating??

I tried to switch an password protected email game into a turnbased one, but I had some difficulties.

_
Q:
How to play Civ 3 PTW 1.21.f via internet, so that noone can cheat?????

sincerely

Inoé;8865583 said:
My doubt is, can I change the starting game factions turn order? I think the scenario puts a default order for the faction turn cycle and I'd change it before start.

Cheers, and Thank you

Hi Inoé,
as far as I know, the only way to change the order is by editing the .biq file with CivEdit and switch the players around and in the end save it to a new .biq file. (Don't overwrite the original one!!) However, this is tedious and error-prone, most often you will mess up something...
Better just accept the order of play as it is...

_
Q:
How to play Civ 3 PTW 1.21.f via internet, so that noone can cheat?????

sincerely

Hi HistoryLines,
I think that the multiplayer functionality in PTW still had a number of serious bugs. Even if you get the password protection working, there will probably still be other problems.
Perhaps it's better to get C3C (you can find it on ebay for a few $ or Euro). In C3C you can't convert from one type to another, and also the password protection seems to work ok.

Lanzelot

How the heck do you lan in Civ3: Conquests. Me and my mate share a flat so we have the same IP. We use Hamachi for laning and it works great for most games. However we have no idea how to lan in Civ. Our games dosn't show up in the lists =/

:( I'm having the same problem as you now Daniel :| No Civ3 multiplayer games ever again...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll just need to rely on the saved ones I have :(

Just started having the same problem - any fix???

I found that the problem was that despite non-internet games not requiring a modem, a plugged in modem router would prevent the game from starting. So if you disconnect the modem router before starting a game, it should solve the problem :) I solved the problem a while back and I'm now back to playing pbem and hotseat games.

I found that the problem was that despite non-internet games not requiring a modem, a plugged in modem router would prevent the game from starting. So if you disconnect the modem router before starting a game, it should solve the problem :) I solved the problem a while back and I'm now back to playing pbem and hotseat games.

I only have a internal modem and it used to work with it for years - did network my computer for about a month with another computer but not connect now?

I can only guess that somehow because you're set up for a network, that might be the problem. If you've started multiplayer games since then, then I guess it must be something else I can't think of.

Me and some friends bought the complete game on steam. I tried hosting an online game with one of them but he couldn’t find it. He then tried hosting a game but I couldn’t find it. I tried giving him my IP address to look directly for it but that didn’t work either. How do I make it so people can find my game?

edit: we each tried disabling our firewalls and still nothing.

I am sure you guys get this ever once in a while as it seems to be the most unanswerable tech question found in any Civ3 forum.

In a LAN (or internet) game, is there anyway to increase or disable the time-out feature that displays "waiting for player" and has a 60 second counter. At 30 seconds the "drop player" button appears. We have never been able to finish a game due to this timer. I have tried every tip listed in every popular forum to avoid this problem: Small maps, turn off animations, update all drivers, kill background processes, disable unused services, add memory, buy a faster computer, buy a faster NIC, you name it... I have done it. We have run this game on two systems used for drag racing and no matter how fast the system cpu, LAN speed still... the problem sits there like an angry blister.

The only solution I can see is actually increasing the value of the lag out timer, or disabling it completely.

So, how do I do that?

This was something that had been bugging me for years. Last weekend we accidentally found the solution.

When the counter kicks in, the server has to press the Esc key on his PC. This will reset the counter to 60. You can do it as many times as you want.

Finally we can play larger maps with more than 2 people. :)

So every time I play multiplayer on LAN using c3c I have an issue with my workers. Every time they finish building roads, mines, etc it does not auto select them for me. I have to manually click on all my workers and it can get very time consuming. If it just auto selected them for me it would save time and repetitive clicking.

I am going to move them anyway so my question is there a way that makes it possible for my workers to be auto-selected?

Hi,i got a question
I want to have more notifications in MP. Like when a scientific research is complete or a city produced a unit/building. When a unit is produced, it autoselects it so that`s not a big deal but when i finished a building, there`s no notification at all.

Is there a mod or an option i missed? I did not activate "show fewer multiplayer notifications".
thx in advance

Hi folks. Here is my issue. I host a game in direct play to enjoy with a friend. I previuosly opened ports 13139, 6500 and 2302 in my router, and port 2302 in his router. He achieve to enter in my room. Start the game, and when i press "next turn", and my friend is going to enter in his #2 turn, the game crashes. We tried with a diferent scenario, same result in turn #3 or whatever. I dont understand what im doing wrong. (please, sorry for my english).

Top Bottom