music in civ 5

Can't you just

turn music off in game, play I tunes/spotify (or whatever) in background, alt tab to change tracks or play in windowed mode

I didn't care for the music either so I just ran a playlist in the background.

Civ 3 - "Stars" ftw.

What an absurd thing to say; beauty is in the eye, or in this case, the ear of the beholder. Or how about horses for courses? While the music may not be bad per se, a lot of people don't think it suitable for the various eras of the game.

What an absurd thing to say; beauty is in the eye, or in this case, the ear of the beholder. Or how about horses for courses? While the music may not be bad per se, a lot of people don't think it suitable for the various eras of the game.

OK well I think the music is amazing. I'm only sad I don't have mega expensive sound system to listen to it more deeply. Which game has better music, I'd like to check out the soundtrack.

Of course not - this is one of those incrementalist features they hold out of the initial release in order to WOW you with it in the expansion pack.

I love the attempted invalidation of someone's music choice because they want to play their own - if you can stop your myopia for a moment you might realize that it is possible to like the Civ V music, but perhaps you want a far greater variety of music - hearing the same tracks over and over just might not be what the user wants in a 100 hour marathon game. Thanks for not being helpful.

I love the attempted invalidation of someone's music choice because they want to play their own - if you can stop your myopia for a moment you might realize that it is possible to like the Civ V music, but perhaps you want a far greater variety of music - hearing the same tracks over and over just might not be what the user wants in a 100 hour marathon game. Thanks for not being helpful.

I don't know who you're writing to but I gave a perfect solution in the first reply, which was more than kind seeing as I full well recognise what the OP was getting at in his post.

Brichals, my response was pretty clearly to those who derided his taste in music for wanting to play other music...

Though to be honest, alt-tabbing to Winamp isn't really all that great a solution - Civ doesn't like focus change that much. This is a feature that has been present in the last several Civ versions, no reason it shouldn't be a basic feature in this one.

Brichals, my response was pretty clearly to those who derided his taste in music for wanting to play other music...

Though to be honest, alt-tabbing to Winamp isn't really all that great a solution - Civ doesn't like focus change that much. This is a feature that has been present in the last several Civ versions, no reason it shouldn't be a basic feature in this one.

Except it was very hard to use and didn't even work most of the time.

No, civ5 likes alt-tabbing just fine. Your weak computer may not like civ5 alt-tabbing, but the game has *no* problem with it.

As for civ4, you could play your own music, sure. But every time you entered city view it would stop abruptly! I used alt-tab to get around that, just as I would do for civ5 if the music weren't so darn AWESOME!

I love most of the music in Civ 5, but sometimes I will open the Steam web browser and load up http://grooveshark.com/ to listen to something else. The Steam browser can be opened without alt-tabbing, and grooveshark is a free music streaming site with music uploaded by various users. Grooveshark isn't available in all countries and there is a chance they don't have every song you want, but if you can use it then I recommend giving it a shot to see if they have something you like listening to.

I love most of the music in Civ 5, but sometimes I will open the Steam web browser and load up http://grooveshark.com/ to listen to something else. The Steam browser can be opened without alt-tabbing, and grooveshark is a free music streaming site with music uploaded by various users. Grooveshark isn't available in all countries and there is a chance they don't have every song you want, but if you can use it then I recommend giving it a shot to see if they have something you like listening to.

This is what I meant also. I just realised you can open browsers in steam so you can just shift-tab. Personally I use Simfy in Germany but Spotify is used elsewhere. Pick a genre you like and put it on radio mode. You can leave some game sounds on and choose your background.

I remember playing Civ3 for hours then wandering around with the same loop ringing in my head for several minutes. :crazyeye:

The music is good, but feels samey after a while. I turn it off and run web-radio instead like (plugs!) Technicolor Web of Sound or Overclocked Remix Radio.

Yes, Civ5 has a problem with alt-tabbing, although it was much worse before the last couple patches. Yes, it has to be a non-super PC to begin with, but it's very inconsistent regarding how long it takes to get out of it, unlike my other games with comparable graphics. The fact that a new gaming PC can alt-tab without ever having problems does not mean the game doesn't have a problem with alt-tabbing.

but won't the game crash then uif I use mediaplayer or spotify or something while playing? I already have problems with the game crashing, so don't want to do something that will make it ctash more often. thanks alot for all answers

Top Bottom