My First Archipelago Venture

Swein Forkbeard

Nintendo Fan
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3691

Alright, this is my first game of Civ4 ever on an archipelago map, and the third game I've played recently. This thread has everything up to 1360, which is up until I've played. I took screenshots, but I haven't uploaded them to photobucket so I can't post them here. Sorry. I'll get right on to that tomorrow.

Heh, whoops. I finished the game a while ago but I'm loading my screenshots onto Photobucket so that I can paste them into the report.

Here are the games I've finished since this, including this game I am about to report on. I already have the report written down but I need to upload my screenshots, which could take a while.

-In this game I wanted to test out the Aggressive and Financial traits and win a Conquest Victory. Obviously I used the Vikings.
-In the next game I used Greece under Pericles to test out the Philosophical and Creative traits, and win a Space Race victory. It was quite fun.
-Then I played as Germany under Bismarck, with the goal of going nuts on wonders and then spinning it all into a Domination Victory.
-Currently I am playing as Cyrus in order to test out the Charismatic trait and successfully invade another continent. Currently I have waged two genocidal wars using solely armies of horsemen (Immortals in the first one and cuirassiers in the other).

Some variant ideas I have:
-Pangaea map, no invading another civilization
-Reckless expansion (REX)
-Play as America, do not win Cultural Victory, do not use anti-America civics (e.g. Police State, State Property)
-After the discovery of Alphabet, Iron Working, and all ancient techs research must be turned off.
-Win a cultural victory without the culture slider.
-Modern Warfare

Pictures of Part 1 are now on Photobucket. Now I just need to post everything here.:scan:

ISLAND HOPPING

Part 1: Religious Beginnings

All right folks. I simply wanted to play a game of Civ4 on an archipelago map; nothing fancy, really. Well, save for the fact that I planned a lot before I started, which is why I played this game. I planned out the opening to quite an extent. I would choose the Vikings…what better nation to experiment with on a map like this? Here goes:

Okay, it seems that a picture will not be pasted directly from Photobucket. What a shame, I signed on to that site for absolutely nothing.:sad: I'll try uploading them to my computer and then pasting them.

Okay, it seems that a picture will not be pasted directly from Photobucket. What a shame, I signed on to that site for absolutely nothing.:sad: I'll try uploading them to my computer and then pasting them.

SWEINIE, try this:

In photobucket "open" the pic and then copy and paste the link between . Should work.

The picture isn't showing up on my computer, but I can still see that it succeeded! Anyway, this is a double cow start with a wine grove and a bevy of hills. I will post the rest later.

On turn 1 I can already see where my next city is ready to go:

Well, what have we here? Crabs and deer, it seems. And look what techs the Vikings start with! Yeah, better get a settler here ASAP, right? I would indeed plant a city on the red dot, hypothesizing that it would grow like a weed. I would not be wrong!

By turn 4 I could already see where city #3 was going (1S from the gold), and then the blue dot had a tribal village that yielded a scout! The tile would even go on to have iron, as well. Cool stuff.

Wait, what's this:

Hannibal waved across me from the sea. I had been hoping to go and wreck the nearest civ (Viking style!), and thus hoped that it would be a peacenik AI like Elizabeth or Mansa Musa or somebody. Instead I got Hannibal. I wonder how this’ll turn out?

Here I am researching sailing to gain access to trading posts (I also wanted the Great Lighthouse, then found out that you need masonry for it, and I was planning to skip masonry; more on this later) and Uppsala has been settled. Nidaros is building Stonehenge simply for the cash rebuff for missing the wonder; as a matter of fact, Stonehenge was BIDAL just 5 turns after this (I naturally swapped to a trading post right after I discovered sailing). I actually trained Uppsala’s garrison archer BEFORE settling the city itself, and I would periodically find time to train 1-turn warriors in between other stuff. Remember kids, warriors upgrade into berserkers, and that’s where I was heading! Also note that I was starting Stonehenge from scratch here, and it was only going to take 10 turns. Nidaros truly was a production powerhouse. Of course, when the ETA for Stonehenge was 6 turns I swapped to a trading post and then the turn afterwards Stonehenge BIDAL. Oh well, I was planning on the cash rebuff.

Um, we’re the two least advanced civs in the world? Good grief. Also note that Judaism was FIDAL; it turned out to be Hannibal! Nidaros would take 13 turns to complete The Oracle. That’s one turn more than my city in the last game I played, but there I had marble whereas here I don’t. The plan was to take Code of Laws (on the path to Civil Service, what else?) and wait on a great prophet to lightbulb civil service. The wonder was indeed finished on turn 74, and I revolted to Confucianism (founded in Uppsala) on the same turn (unfortunately I forgot to get into hereditary rule until the Renaissance!). I wouldn’t actually get any more wonders during this time, as I tried for The Temple of Artemis but then lost it to CARTHAGE. On the same turn as the Oracle completion:

Okay, we have some brown borders here. Mali? Well, that doesn’t bode well, with a crap ton of financial opponents (though I myself am playing a financial leader too, so maybe everybody is following in my stead!).

And this shot is just for humor purposes. Both Hannibal and me revolted into slavery on the same turn! Of course, the AIs always revolt to slavery when they discover bronze working, whereas I had put it off for a good while.

Great Lighthouse BIDAL in 700 BC??? In my last game it was built in the early AD years! It turned out to be Pacal II, who became one of the AI tech leaders. Pacal also built Stonehenge, and would add a plethora of wonders in his capital by game’s end. Of course, I still don’t know him yet, but…also of interest is my iron working research; I would also turn out to have iron at the capital. There were TWO iron sources on my island! Plus you can see my third city.

So I’m doing pathetic in empire size? Neato! Pyramids were BIDAL just 4 turns later; it was indeed Mansa Musa, who also built the Great Wall in his capital, along with tons of other wonders later on…and Mali would conversely become one of the top civilizations for most of the game. One turn later, my scouts spot something rather weird:

City Ruins? I wonder whose? It would turn out that these were the ruins of Hannibal’s second city, which was razed by the barbarians who camped out nearby. Hannibal would thus be stuck playing a OCC even during the early AD years, and he seemed much more interested in this island than he did in his own. And notice what tech I’m researching. I love it when a plan comes together! Here is the state of the faction in 175 BC:

I indeed get a great prophet from the Oracle, but look what tech he’ll lightbulb:

MASONRY? Come on! I had read and asked everywhere to see if great prophets could still lightbulb civil service without masonry, and everybody said yes. Apparently not! I would end up researching masonry and monotheism and using this guy to lightbulb theology instead, thus founding Christianity in Haithabu. Uh huh! I would instead research civil service by hand! (I should’ve probably hand-researched theology instead and then used the GP to bulb civil service, but that wasn’t even something I was thinking of at the time) And notice the axeman in the capital. I had the event that gives axemen free shock promotions some time ago, and so was training them quickly to upgrade into berserkers.

And this picture well illustrates how my scouting efforts went. My scouts would land on new islands found by this ship to cover more ground. Here my galley just took a beating from a barbarian galley, and so my scouts are just chilling on the island, where they saw Mayan borders across the sea (but the Mayan island was unreachable by galley, argh).

Why aren't any of my pictures showing up? Man, this is quite an issue. The last screenshots shows that everybody ignored Alphabet into the AD years again.

And here is the empire in 400 AD. The funny thing is that Pacal only had 2 cities (and he wouldn’t found another city until the 20th century! What was he doing?) and Hannibal was playing a OCC (though I didn’t know about the razed Utica, of course). But more to admire was in the south:

Yes, I’ve settled a city on the Carthaginian home island! Birka grabs ANOTHER iron resource, but the true gem is the lack of commerce (what an ironic-sounding sentence), driving me to turn this into a military crank later on. I would build workshops and watermills here instead of farms and cottages. You’d be surprised at how effective that was! So…what’s afterward? You shall see!

Why aren't any of my pictures showing up? Man, this is quite an issue. The last screenshots shows that everybody ignored Alphabet into the AD years again.

And here is the empire in 400 AD. The funny thing is that Pacal only had 2 cities (and he wouldn’t found another city until the 20th century! What was he doing?) and Hannibal was playing a OCC (though I didn’t know about the razed Utica, of course). But more to admire was in the south:

Yes, I’ve settled a city on the Carthaginian home island! Birka grabs ANOTHER iron resource, but the true gem is the lack of commerce (what an ironic-sounding sentence), driving me to turn this into a military crank later on. I would build workshops and watermills here instead of farms and cottages. You’d be surprised at how effective that was! So…what’s afterward? You shall see!

I see your pics in photobucket but not here :(
Try imageshack instead :)

I am so sorry and I hope you guys got to see the pictures. My cousin brother came and went last week, so being around him was kinda more important than this. And school has just started. Perhaps I can convince my parents to let school off so that I can get time to join Imageshack (how to do?) and post the rest of the report?

BTW, I am also a member of GameFAQs, though I don't go by this same name.

Trying again with PB by using IMG Code (see share this image):

Start Point
The starting point for my Civ4 game as the Vikings.

Next city

Third city

First contact

Quest for sailing

Malinese borders??

Slavery is popular

Ridiculously early Great Lighthouse

Our empire is puny

City ruins?

175 BC

The prophet has failed me!

Viking exploration...

No alphabet!

The main island: 400 AD

Birka

@SWEINIE: I take it, you know now how to display the pics :p

Lol thanks for posting my pictures! I've still been busy, and updating this topic can take one whole day's worth on a weekend. You can expect more on Saturday, but I'm just 15 years old so I might very well forget.

Of course, if I can go ahead with the "convince my parents to halt school for me and move to Britain" plan, than we'll be in some good territory!

BTW I finished another game of Civ4 day before yesterday, netting my first 40k point victory, my first pre-20th century victory, and my first size 26 city. All this to MUCH later, unfortunately.

EDIT: I would love it if you guys spotted any weed decisions on my part so that I could improve my game. The game I played right after this one saw Charlemagne kick my ass, though the the three afterwards all worked fine (with the last one having no war declarations on me, although successfully executing an Immortal rush, being alone on a continent with Gandhi because of that, being #1 in power by an overwhelming margin for the entire last half of the game due to a stack of 45 cuirassiers/cavalry sitting around, and completing a quest which net me +3 relations with everybody on the other continent certainly helped matters. For the last tenth of the game JUSTINIAN was friendly towards me despite me following a different religion, though I suppose using theocracy helped tons).

Whoops, I was out for 6 hours yesterday. And I have tests to study for, so maybe gamble on me getting in another update on next Saturday or something?

Yep, nothing coming today. I just forgot. I was playing Ocarina of Time and stuff, anyways.

To give you guys a hint, I was renaming captured cities after video game locations, and one AI capital was indeed renamed "Hyrule." And another one was renamed "Termina."

Well, I have two school projects to deal with this week, so I'm not sure I want to deal with this. Sorry!

Okay, I had a long weekend but didn't feel like uploading screenshots. And it's going to be a while until I feel like doing so.

Therefore this thread gets frozen in limbo.

Not bad. Maps with lots of islands tend to be my favorite...though when the later ages come, always have a decent navy.

Top Bottom