[BTS] News: BOTM 255: Vikings, Immortal - Starts 1 Aug

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 255: Ragnar of Vikings.

We haven't had a sea-based game for a while, so I decided it was time to rectify that. So I generated an archipelago map, and looked at the starting area and I was like, 'Hey, like anyone is ever going to be able to win with THAT start! MUHAHAHAHA!' So I made a few map edits to make it a bit easier and add a couple of surprises, but I reckon you're still going to have a huge challenge to win. The only mitigation is that, although you start on immortal level, due to a cock-up on my part that would've taken too long to fix, the AI actually has emperor level starting units.

Since archipelago may take a bit longer to play, you have some extra time for this game - nearly 6 weeks!

Game settings:
Playing as: Ragnar of Vikings
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Archipelago (snaky continents)
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Low
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Ragnar is Financial and Aggressive, and you start with Fishing and Hunting.

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

Unique unit: Berserker (replaces Maceman)
True to the seafaring nature of the Vikings, the beserker starts with the amphibious promotion, which removes the combat penalty for attacking directly from a boat or across a river. It also has +10% city attack strength.

Unique Building: Trading Post (replaces Lighthouse)
The trading post gives a free navigation I promotion to water units built in its city. Very useful for exploring or for coastal invasions!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play on monarch level (but the AIs have emperor level starting units)

Challenger Class Equalizers:
You play on deity level (but the AIs have emperor level starting units)

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 Aug 2023, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 11 Sep 2023.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

@Blake00 @The_J

Vikings should be fun on archipelago. At Immortal difficulty, I'll most likely lose the game anyhow, but it will be fun for a while. :lol:

It will take a while to get the health and happiness resources necessary to use all this food.

@kcd_swede Speaking of unimaginative settling patterns: Are you going to be the lone maverick who settles on the corn to break it in this game? I wouldn't recommend although it does give you a short time advantage.

It will take a while to get the health and happiness resources necessary to use all this food.

@kcd_swede Speaking of unimaginative settling patterns: Are you going to be the lone maverick who settles on the corn to break it in this game? I wouldn't recommend although it does give you a short time advantage.
I do a lot of crazy stuff. Who knows? Oh, but now I realize its "only" emperor level, I think I should actually be able to pull off a victory if I take my time and think before I move. I usually play impulsively.

I do a lot of crazy stuff. Who knows? Oh, but now I realize its "only" emperor level, I think I should actually be able to pull off a victory if I take my time and think before I move. I usually play impulsively.
AI Starting units on emperor and immortal level are pretty much the same. More significant difference is the increased cost for us to research techs, pay maintenance and so forth. That’s still immortal level for us.

I guess, immortal AI gets a worker, right? That’s a pretty significant difference. Then again, it’s more available for a steal. With emperor a nearby AI might or might not build a worker first so it’s more random. Especially on this start a stolen worker can make a big difference.

Top Bottom