My First SG - Regent for Warlords

I think we should hold off on too much strategy discussion until we get a start position. This is for the following reasons.

Some starts are good for settler factories and some not.

The warrior - sword - mace - rambo upgrade path versus the chariot - horse - knight - cavalry discussion is good to have, but it depends so much on whether we get iron or horses in our territory.

Research rate is tricky. For regent, properly played it is quite straightforward to simply out-research the AI. Then there is the 40 turn gambit, the zero research gambit and the Great Library manouevre debate. Unless we get a dry, non-coastal start I would advocate max research. This is particularly true with a scientific civ which gets cheap libraries and unis plus a free tech each era.

I'm looking forward to vbraun publishing a start. :)

I've just re-read the first post, and it appears you want a roster made up from people who have only played to warlord before. I would still very much like to play, but have played and won deity before now, so you might not want me around.

I won't be offended if you remove me from the roster, but as I said, I would still like to play

mad-bax: It doenst matter now it means Regent for people who like to warmonger(warlords) get it.

Heres the starting pic:

Theres 2 Bonus Grassland one to the North and one to the SW.

Looks like you'll need an Industrious civ with all that jungle :)

Ted

Edited for emphasis ;)

Place the emphasis on need and it'll come out as I meant it :)

regards

Ted

I think we should move our worker to the sw becuase there is a higher chance that a cow or wheat will apear. I think there is coast to the west of us.
Overall i think we should settle where we are.

OK - Still here. I vote for settle on the spot, couple of warriors, time the forrest clearance to turn 20 and a settler - and GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THAT JUNGLE !

:)

I guess ill take the first 10 turns then andvruss, then Admiral Pheonix, then Hooray, then mad-bax.

The Order:
1. vbraun
2. andvruss
3. Admiral Pheonix
4. Hooray
5. mad-bax

Ill post my 10 turns soon.
May the Ottaman Epire Rule the World :king:

First 10 turns:

4000 BC 1. Move worker SW, Settle Istanbul. Istanbul starts production of a warrior. Tech slider set to 100% and start reascherching The Wheel. Finishes the wheel in 24 turns.
We got to find those horses.
3950 BC 2. Worker starts road.
3900 BC 3. zzz
3850 BC 4. Worker starts a mine.
3800 BC 5. zzz
3750 BC 6. Istanbul builds warrior. Istanbul starts production of warrior. Warrior is fortified.
3700 BC 7. Worker moves north onto forest.
3650 BC 8. Worker chops forest.
3600 BC ??? It got lost
3550 BC 9. Istanbul finishes warrior. It starts on settler. Warrior is moved SW then SW.
3500 BC 10. Culture expands. Move warrior SW

The save file.

We will each take 10 turns and post a screenshot and the save file.

Red text is comments.

andvruss is up.
and Admiral Pheonix is on deck

sorry mad-bax didn't understand what you meant the first time...

We can swicht production to like a spearmen becuase we wont grow untill 2 turns after we finish the settler and we've got 10 sheilds coming from the forest maybe we could switch to a baracks.

Possible City spots.

I think the blue dot is the best one as it will have cow in its city radius. But im not sure about the others. We dont have to do OCP(Optimal city placment).

Couple of comments.

Firstly the capital will expand in 9 turns, 2 turns after the shields for the settler are completed. This will mean 2 wasted turns of production. My guess is that the worker will chop the forrest in 4 turns which means we will waste 1.5 warriors worth of shields. I would change production back to warrior, try to finish that before the forrest is chopped then build a spear., and put the 10 forrest shields towards that. Then get a settler.

The rolling green country side that we would like to settle our civilization in is to the north of our capital. A warrior needs to go up there (to the mountain).

If the water next to the cattle is fresh then our next city should go somewhere near there, but we also need the spices. They are not in the capitals radius.

I'm glad you brought up OCP. It won't work in a jungle setting IMO. It will take too long to road the tiles between. The dot map you show is not OCP It is spaced even more. Once we get a little more map visibility we can talk about RCP (as opposed to OCP). Right now we need contacts and a second city site. I will be surprised if that is not north of our capital.

Lastly, could you tell me what type of map this is, how many opponents, barb setting and size. It would help with discussion, unless it's a secret on purpose, which is fine.

It must have taken you ages to roll a start this bad! ;)

You have a slight problem,

Instanbul is due to grow in 9 turns but the settler is scheduled to complete in 7. This means that you will lose 2 full turns of production from Istanbu.

To compound the problem, the worker will finish chopping the forest at the end of this turn. This will bring the total in the shields box to 19. As a settler costs 30 shields and you are producing 4spt the settler will actually be ready in a further 3 turns.

Thus the situation, as at the save, is that the settler will complete (shieldwise) in 4 turns but Istanbul won't have the population necessary for 9 turns.

One possible solution is to change production to a spearman (20 shields) which will mean wasting 3 shields on the next turn but better than wasting 5 turns of production.

regards

Ted

Top Bottom