My little Civ, Friendship is Magic.

Magic of Friend

Chieftain
For my first game of BNW i decided to go Aztecs/Continents/Huge/Emperor/Epic, and it has literally been the most boring game of Civ5 I have ever played. As of right now, I have made it to 1735 AD without a single conflict with the A.I..

My army consists solely of two Jaguars, Iv done everything I can to piss off my neighbors(spying,expanding right next to them,Religious conversions, exc), Everyone around me things Im a warmongering menace to the world, Iv publicly denounced everyone, AND EVERYONE STILL WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND!

I went to war with England, who has an army and navy large enough to wipe my off the map. I stole two settlers, looted some trade routes, and destroyed a few tiles before having my army crushed. Right after England offers to make peace for some gold and a few luxury resources. Then 10 turns later offers to make a public decoration of friendship.

What happened to Civ5? I get the feeling the A.I. would want to be best pals even after I start nukeing capitals. The game use to be exciting, I use to have to make walls and army's or the A.I. would crush me, now its like im playing on Settler difficulty.

Edit: I should also note that I have science and Cultural Victory turned off. The only way the A.I. can win is by Time, Domination or, Diplomacy, and right now im ahead of everyone by 200 points minimum.

BNW should have come with a huge popup warning:

DO NOT PLAY HUGE MAPS. THE GAME HAS NOT BEEN BALANCED FOR THIS.

(also, England is notorious for backstabbing and deception, so.... not suprised. If she was going for a cultural victory or science victory, it makes more sense to have you as a DoF than dead. Plus, if she eliminates you, she gets HUGE diplo penalities from everyone, and the world congress will turn on her.)

You mean you didn't get sneaky AI behaviors in G&K? Also don't forget that the :c5happy: and :c5gold: of the AI was nerfed pretty significantly for BNW, so they can't field as big of militaries that they could in previous expansions.

Also to be fair, with a decent start Emporer games are EZ wins, especially on lower speeds. Try Immortal and you'll be less likely to see quirky AI behavior.

That means you are on a huge map so there is a lot of distance between the AI and you so in other worths they will atack you less

The AI being a peacemonger could be entirely rational. Not sure if that's the case, but as long as you don't really threaten their upcoming victory they have no real reason to care about any little nuisance you may cause.

And how do interactions between ai players look like?
From time to time I get games when my opponents constantly fight each other and i just randomly join wars, do nothing, and get bonuses when the losing civ wants to have one less enemy. Even though it's more than curious that with so many hostilities you didn't get jumped by a coalition of countries. They tend to do it quite often.

That means you are on a huge map so there is a lot of distance between the AI and you so in other worths they will atack you less

Im playing continents so all the civs are grouped together on small land masses. Even though it is Huge, My second city is right next to England. My citys are also bordering the Huns and the Persians. Its not even that they are attacking less, they are not attacking at all. Iv played some 400+ turns, and Im the only civ on the planet that has ever declared war on another civ. (Not counting Gandhi who wiped out an unknown Civ before world congres).

Yeah, they want to try out all the cool new caravan systems, archaeology and great works too, not just wage war like before!

The only problem is that none of this comes into play until the modern era, so if you start in the Ancient Era the game is nothing but mashing the continue button and occasionally picking what to build. Almost zero strategy involved.

The only problem is that none of this comes into play until the modern era, so if you start in the Ancient Era the game is nothing but mashing the continue button and occasionally picking what to build. Almost zero strategy involved.

What is preventing you from declaring war?

I've only played one full game(on king, my usual difficulty level) and it was unbearably easy and boring. It was like pulling teeth at the end, just clicking the turn timer hoping that the world congress could just hold their stupid election and I could win.

What is preventing you from declaring war?

The fact that I dont want to play domination EVERY SINGLE GAME. This time I wanted to win a diplomacy victory but right now winning like this feels hollow because the A.I. is just letting me win. Its not trying to stop me at all. Back in Gods and Kings, if you went for a science focus and skimped on the military units the A.I. would see your weakness and try to take over your empire before you outtech them.

It was fun to have to balance military and defense with what your trying to focus on.

Back in Gods and Kings, if you went for a science focus and skimped on the military units the A.I. would see your weakness and try to take over your empire before you outtech them.

It was fun to have to balance military and defense with what your trying to focus on.

This.

I have one warrior in the medieval period. That's my entire army on a huge map with 10 cities.

My experience has been pretty different. Currently, the entire world is engulfed in flames. Portugal and the Ottomans are attacking me and the Indians. While Greece and Japan attack Byzantium. I've already have to wipe out Montezuma. There were periods of peace, but they were the kind of peace where you know it's not really going to work out in the end. Even though everybody's status SAYS Friendly.

I have an army of about 5 musketmen, 4 gatling guns, two knights, two trebuchets, 2 caravels, and a frigate. And we're pretty much at a standoff.

And I'm playing a peaceful cultural game. I haven't declared war once. But I've been dogpiled twice...

In vainilla Civ V, AI's behaved like King Sombra: they just wanted you dead, pronto, and take over the world as soon as possible. Needless to say, they were the dullest villains.

In G&K the AI was Discord: a force of randomness with little to no reason for its actions on the surface, but with some kind of devious plan behind the scenes. Best villains, probably.

In BNW the AI is Princess Luna, which looks like a bad guy but it just really wants to be your friend. A kind of adorable villain.

What am I doing with my life oh God

[...]

My army consists solely of two Jaguars[...]

I went to war with England, who has an army and navy large enough to wipe my off the map. I stole two settlers, looted some trade routes, and destroyed a few tiles before having my army crushed.

Sounds unrealistic. How could you manage to cause all that destruction in a super well defended country with only melees?

I'm not saying you are entirely making this up but I am asking myself you you might have accidentaly forgotten to add some important details, possibly?

Sounds unrealistic. How could you manage to cause all that destruction in a super well defended country with only melees?

I'm not saying you are entirely making this up but I am asking myself you you might have accidentaly forgotten to add some important details, possibly?

England embarked a settler, I waited for it to land (with guarding unit still embarked) and then declared war and snatched it up. Moved my 2 Jaguars into my boarder citys to defend the attack that was suppose to happen, it never came. Went back to where I grabbed the first settler, and England was doing the same exact thing.

You just need to move a unit in front of a caravan to loot it and they love to stop in between citys. Its not difficult to destroy them.

I destroyed the improvements out of boredom. My two guys where instantly destroyed after entering Englands turf though. Soon after "Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England" offering me peace for some Luxury resources, horses and some gold.

Top Bottom