My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Anthropology has got to be one of the best fanfics I have ever read in my entire life.

As long as we're on the subject.

Friendship is Optimal & Our First Steps are also pretty great. Not especially related to the source material or mane six, but if anything that makes them stand out all the stronger.

Past Sins is closer to the mane six and also great.

Almost always prefer the longer ones, but Twilight Sparkle Gets A Free Salad was also pretty great.

I'd like to recommend Fallout Equestria, but it was just too dark for me to finish. Got about 3/5 of the way through the original. There's probably around 20 million words of FoE universe, 2 million by the original author.
Also, Xenophilia

What about Background Pony?

What about Background Pony?

*insert joke about Applejack or Rarity here*

I've read about half of it before I stopped because it was just so depressing, though I would like to finish it at some point.

I can also heartily recommend anything by BronyWriter.

I was absolutely riveted by Fallout: Equestria.
For those that don't know what it's all about, here's a short summary:
Fallout: Equestria is a crossover fan-fiction between the My Little Pony series and the Fallout video game series, and was written by Kkat. Fallout: Equestria spans 45 chapters (as well as a prologue, introduction, epilogue, and afterword), and contains over 620,000 words, making Fallout: Equestria one of the longest self-published works of derivative fiction in existence.

It has become one of the most critically well-received derivative works in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic community, and has a substantial cult following that has produced thousands of new works of art, literature, and music dedicated to the fan series.

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic Equestria, where a war with the Zebra empire devastated much of the known world with excessive bombardment by megaspells, killing most of the population outright and irradiating the countryside for centuries. The few survivors struggling in the Equestrian wasteland face numerous horrors ranging from environmental hazards, hunger, mutated wildlife and - most dangerous - themselves.
However, some ponies managed to find shelter deep underground in closed, self-sufficient bunkers called Stables - and 200 years after the apocalypse some ponies emerge to find a world unlike anything they could ever imagine in their wildest nightmares.

So, if you can wrap your head around this ...

... you get treated with a steady stream of action, drama, suspense, horror, humor, romance, conspiracies, politics, tragedy, mystery and character development.
Sure, the novel is written like a game - and it doesn't bother to hide it, either - and it's about little ponies in a post-apocalyptic Equestria fighting for survival ... but the author Kkat brilliantly manages to keep the flow of the story going without a stop.

Oh, and it's definitely written for a mature audience - even more so than the fallout series itself - due to excessive amounts of violence, including rape, torture and cannibalism against adults and children alike, as well as other dark themes like drug addiction and slavery.

Sure, maybe that's mostly PG-13 for a US-audience ... but then there is a copious amount of creative profanity delivered by our protagonist herself - a kindhearted mare named Littlepip - ranging from "Sit on my horn and spin", "Celestia clop my c*** with a hoof-full of sunfire!", to "Luna shove my c*** full of moonrocks and call me home.".

And then there is the evilest sin ever: Sex.

Loads of it. Oftentimes quite graphic and detailed, too.

I know this topic makes many people uncomfortable (in some cases quite irrationally so), but it is handled quite tastefully (and skilled), too, and it never feels like the scenes are out of place.

Also, many jokes and funny situations result from the diverging attitudes towards propriety of the different characters. It leads to scenes like DJ Pon-3 reading a message from Littlepip's love interest on the air ...

... to brillliant quotes from Littlepip's companions like "she should have LittlePip as a cutie mark, because that's clearly what she does best."

And how the companions interact with each other is another highlight of the novel ... they build up their characters in a fun and engaging way, without ever shifting from the first-pony perspective in which the whole novel is written. The sideshow characters are so lovingly detailed, that they stick in your mind.

I also particularly enjoyed the lore of the Fallout Equestria universe. And due to a neat story element called 'memory orbs', Littlepip is able to experience the memories of ponies of pre-war equestria, gradually discovering the history of her world, how it was possible to come to this, and the ultimate fate of famous ponies of the past, like our beloved mane six.

---

Right now the novel is finished and spawned numerous side-stories in the Fallout Equestria universe.
Also, the original story has been adapted in comic form, as audiobook and is currently being developed as a full animated series.

You can find all relevant resources here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/story-fallout-equestria.html

I can't recommend this book enough. And it's free! So take a look and donate if you feel like it!

And always remember the friendly reminder from the Ministry Of Morale:

Attachments

• 41722_safe_gun_fallout-equestria_littlepip_artist-dawnmistpony_calamity_steelhooves.jpg
    41722_safe_gun_fallout-equestria_littlepip_artist-dawnmistpony_calamity_steelhooves.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 545
  • littlepipsqueak.jpg
    littlepipsqueak.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,479
  • rarity_on_the_edge_x300.gif
    rarity_on_the_edge_x300.gif
    479.5 KB · Views: 5,478
  • mlfw2440_large.jpg
    mlfw2440_large.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 432
Now for something completely different: Anyone else notice how Equestria Girls seems to be spreading communist propaganda? It came to me when I watched the latest Rainbow Rocks short.

To wit:

In the first Equestria Girls movie the students are split into several cliques based on superficial differences because it serves the movie's villain. The Mane 6 unite them by singing about how they are all basically the same and should work together as a collective to create a better world for all of them.

In the latest Rainbow Rocks short we see the new villains imitate the cafeteria song of the first movie, but here they sing about how some people are just better than others, hence they should only care about themselves without regard to their fellow students. Competition and fighting are praised several times by the antagonists.

Think about it!

nah.
Only americans confuse social behavior with communism. I blame right-wing indoctrination for that.

nah.
Only americans confuse social behavior with communism. I blame right-wing indoctrination for that.

As a matter of fact I'm Austrian...

I skimmed the Barney wikipedia page a few weeks ago and it actually sounds like a really terrible show. 0/10 would now show to babies.

Going back to the topic of Fanfictions, two that I really like are Keepers of Discord and Diary of a Madman, though the latter could use a bit padding down on the description.

Nope. This thread is now about Luna.

I beg to differ:

Wait a minute, didn't some moderater once pop in to say something about spamming this thread full of images? Something not entirely approving of that practice?

Um... :hide:

So... any good Luna fics around?

Top Bottom