National Parks

I think that's a good and viable strategy! You're probably not going to have NPs in your earliest cities because that's where you're focussing your infrastructure. Bu tif you're going for a culture victory you could found or conquer more unspoilt cities later on to capitalise on the sweet tourism.

Assuming NP tiles have to be 'worked' to be any use - all but certain they will be - you would also have to do what it took to raise those cities up in population. And the city needs to be producing culture to claim the tiles, as another poster remarked. And though we don't know anything about border expansion mechanics (AFAIK) a rainforest hex 3 tiles away from the city centre may never come within the reach of a city founded in the late game without major effort.

Bear in mind that NP only give amenities to cities in their vicinities, not your whole empire.

Assuming NP tiles have to be 'worked' to be any use - all but certain they will be - you would also have to do what it took to raise those cities up in population.

You can see in the screenshot below that the NP tile being worked is not getting any extra yields in the tooltip (ie, no tourism shown) - whether that's just because tourism isn't considered a "normal" yield (seriously? again?) or what is unclear though.

I do find it doubtful that a city needs to work the tiles to gain the tourism; I expect it will work like a district, where the city gains the yield regardless.

Spoiler :

Also of note is that the tooltip says "Woods (Old Growth)" which implies that there are Woods that aren't Old Growth and thus Woods could possibly be planted or spawn naturally. Presumably Old Growth increases the appeal value.

And the city needs to be producing culture to claim the tiles, as another poster remarked. And though we don't know anything about border expansion mechanics (AFAIK) a rainforest hex 3 tiles away from the city centre may never come within the reach of a city founded in the late game without major effort.

It may be that you can claim tiles by building a NP (a la Civ5 great generals' citadels) - this was implied at 1:28 the America FL video.

Where did you get that intel ? We knew nothing about national parks yesterday.
Edit :

The problem is that it's hard to have a graphic reprensentation of something which is meant to be a natural untouched tile. A fence could do the work, but it would be hard to see it next to the trees.

A small Cabin in the woods with a small path connecting to a road might do the trick, plus the Fence people suggested.

Do we know exactly how terrain beauty is measured yet?
How soon can we start dropping these parks?

I've been very interested in Amenities -and the huge growth bonus their surplus provides, since the video and forgot about the Np somehow!

Unless there's some additional mechanics that we don't yet know about, what is to stop you from polluting your own lands for increased production, and when NPs roll around, simply colonizing a virgin continent (that you may have pre-emptively cleansed of its messy inhabitants :mischief:) and plopping down a huge national park for mass tourism?

EDIT: 'Mommy, what are those strange bones protruding from the foliage?'
-- 'Not to worry, honey; I'm sure they're animal bones. A great deal of primitive animals used to live here, as it says in the leaflet. Look honey, it's signed by the Great Leader himself; would *he* ever lie to us?'

I think being able to build a national park like we use Great General in Civ V would be a great way to make that areas where nobody settle useful, a good way to fill the map instead of leaving that ugly unsettled gaps between empires, though it depends on how its tourism mechanic work, since a fringe national park might not be worth for amenities, because of reach.

It's specially interesting in a water map. Instead of leaving islands that aren't worth to settle for the AI to do it later, you can go and grab it as a national park. It might turn to be a bad strategy but it's definitely appealing as a Roleplay mechanic.

Or putting a lumber mill on woods removes the (old growth) tag.
Hopefully naturalists can plant woods/rainforest though.

Good point re: Lumber Mill (can they be removed though?).
Agree, naturalists would be the .. ahem .. natural choice to have the plant ability.;)

1)Do we know exactly how terrain beauty is measured yet?
2)How soon can we start dropping these parks?

3)I've been very interested in Amenities -and the huge growth bonus their surplus provides, since the video and forgot about the Np somehow!

1) Appeal ("beauty") is based on the terrain around it. See this post from a while back where it was basically figured out (there may be other late-game modifiers we don't know about yet*), and I don't think any of it has been disproven at this point:
Spoiler :
+1 for each neighboring forest or mountain hex
+1 for each neighboring coast hex (does not include open ocean)
+1 for each neighboring farm
+2 for each neighboring natural wonder
+1 for having a river

*Which reminds me, it was very odd to see a "breathtaking" tile with an Industrial Zone on it in the stream.:crazyeye:

2) At Conservation, a mid-Industrial Era Civic

3) What do you mean, "forgot about the NP"?

It would be interesting if they introduced negative incentives to national park placement. For example, have negative adjacencies for things like coal mine, nuclear plant, etc.

Forgot about national parks

Sorry I wasn't clear; I know that NP stands for National Parks. I just didn't understand what you were trying to say with the whole statement - were you wondering about the interaction between National Parks and amenities? NPs seem to provide amenities to nearby cities (extra to it's "home city"), whether it's based on the amount of appeal in the NP is not known.

Do we know exactly how terrain beauty is measured yet?
How soon can we start dropping these parks?

I've been very interested in Amenities -and the huge growth bonus their surplus provides, since the video and forgot about the Np somehow!

Which bonuses do their surplus provides? I wanna know! :)

I'm still curious about the interaction between Appeal and Tourism. Is it a direct relationship? Does it require certain policies? Is this where Resorts come into play, converting Appeal into Tourism?

Which bonuses do their surplus provides? I wanna know! :)

Sorry I wasn't clear; I know that NP stands for National Parks. I just didn't understand what you were trying to say with the whole statement - were you wondering about the interaction between National Parks and amenities? NPs seem to provide amenities to nearby cities (extra to it's "home city"), whether it's based on the amount of appeal in the NP is not known.

Uhh, I'll post a new thread and link it here shortly.

Edit: here it is
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14450152#post14450152

It would be interesting if they introduced negative incentives to national park placement. For example, have negative adjacencies for things like coal mine, nuclear plant, etc.
They already did. Industrial zone lowers appeal of nearby hexes if I'm not mistaken (and nuclear plant goes into industrial zone). I think even mines might lower appeal of neighboring hexes, but not sure about that.

I'm still curious about the interaction between Appeal and Tourism. Is it a direct relationship? Does it require certain policies? Is this where Resorts come into play, converting Appeal into Tourism?

The Appeal of a tile seems to determine the tourism of the National Parks/Resorts placed on it. (and possibly IF they can be placed on it)

Spoiler :

I'm not seeing a lowered appeal for the IZ or the quarry (assuming we have the formula right, both of the central breathtaking tiles get 1 each from river and farm, 2 from woods = 4 total).

There could be some evidence here that the Naturalist does have a "culture-bomb"-like ability, where the unit started the NP on the western tile, grabbed all unowned tiles around it, and then the game chooses the four best (highest appeal) contiguous tiles to create the park.

Attachments

• appeal.jpg
    appeal.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,036
Any sort of standard leaf/vine border would look good and get the point across without too much busy-ness. I really hope they do more than just the green line anyway.

I woulnd't mind the green line if it made anything inside it more colorful and have denser folliage, so it would look a bit diferent graphicaly.

So for example, natural parks made out of forests, lakes and mountains would be denser, have brighter colors and clearer waters, hills could have flower patchs, etc. (you could even put an eagle circling around)

Natural parks on tropical coasts would also be more colorful and give you a caribbean beach look white sand and all.

While we ar at it, having "animal resources" should count as appeal for a natural park, as to simulate species protected on the park. as in:

-Ivory
-Furs
-Whales
-Deer
-Horses (pony rides)

Top Bottom