Natives gave me their settlements and I got the ruins

AAjus[LTU]

Chieftain
I was playing peasfull with a natives and once they offered me to take some of their settlements as a gift. I had an option to accept or reject. I have accepted. But I did not get those settlements under my controll. The settlements turned into the ruins. It was announced that this native civilization was destroyed. I had missionaries in those settlements and lost them. Only a new free land is a good thing. Is it a bug or is it normal?

I thought it was wierd when it happened to me, but basically your culture (or bells or whatever) overlapped their city. By handing it over they must be giving you their land. No beads needed. :)

I was a little confused by this either, however if you know this you can just decline ... but what still is a bit awkwarded that you have to know all native village names since you cant look which village it actually is.

Never accept a native settlement if they offer it, why ?

Because you will loose a trade source, native convert source and possible future native troops to help your fight against the REF. I always decline when they offer it to me, it doesnt have an advantage at all to accept. (unless maybe the settlement is in of your colonies small cross.)

One reason to accept is if you want to build your own colony there, but by the time I am ramping bell production, I do not want to be building colonies

Yes, that can probably another good reason. But Im in the same boat as you, I already founded my colonies and dont need new one's. Thats why I always refuse, there's just nothing to win in accepting only possible things to lose.

What good are the cultural borders if they don't let my workers expand out? basically, I control land I can't use.

Cultural borders are mostly useless. In cases where your cities are very close to an opponents, they may matter as enough culture will expand your borders into their settlement's work area and deny them tiles. Also you can send pioneers to build improvements within your borders, even if there is no settlement next to it. I'm not sure why you would want to, but you can.

Finally if you have large borders, it can stop other colonies from settling in the area covered by your borders. Not that it really matters.

Overall, it's not too important. But I don't think that's a problem since increasing border size is just a little something extra you get from your bells. They'd still be useful even if they didn't increase the borders.

Overall, it's not too important. But I don't think that's a problem since increasing border size is just a little something extra you get from your bells.

Unless a fellow european decides to pump up their bells in a colony close to yours. If you do nothing his borders will pop and claiming your tile, if you start to produce bells to counter you also have to adjust your overall strategy as this will lead to a bigger REF. Not a very nice side effect of the bells production by an fellow european.

Can King's army use the roads inside your borders?

AAjus[LTU];7295633 said:
Can King's army use the roads inside your borders?

Good point. I don't think they can. In my last game it probably took them about 5 turns to get to my second city after they knocked out the first, even though they were 5 tiles apart and there was certainly a road between them. I was kind of surprised at the time because I had gotten used to being able to travel quickly between them, but now it makes sense.

I'm wondering if there's a native settlement and you don't have a defensive pact with the tribe, whether you can hide out troops there, that the REF won't be able to attack without declaring war on the tribe.

Hm, thats a good question. My guess is probably not, because the native's also allow you to wander free around their land. And would it be very useful ?

Imagine this : Your troops hiding in Sitting Bull's tipi while the REF is enjoying the rum stock in your former colony. :D

I think that the natives decided to give you the bad end of the stick. Seriosusly your culture must have lapped over their city adn now you have a free city.

Top Bottom