Natural wonder boost (late game)

theis81

Warlord
While natural wonders are usually a really good tile early in the game it loses value as other tiles get better. I suggest the following.

Natural wonders becomes a tourist attraction once railroads is discovered providing + 1 gold, when flight is discovered another +1 gold is added.

(also remove Spains special ability, fountain of youth + eldorado)

I'd prefer a policy or something else that makes them worthwhile. Just adding gold for reaching a tech seems a bit odd to me.

Perhaps there could be a policy at commerce that gives you happiness for every NW.

I'd prefer a policy or something else that makes them worthwhile. Just adding gold for reaching a tech seems a bit odd to me.

Perhaps there could be a policy at commerce that gives you happiness for every NW.

I think it would be too situational to have a SP dedicated to NWs. When you play on a standard map with 8 civs, there's usually roughly 8 NWs (that's about 1 per civ). That doesn't take into account if the map has the Great Barrier Reef which counts as 2 NW that are always side by side so they'll likely both fall into one civ's territory. Or Krakatoa which is often out in the middle of the ocean far from any civ's territory. Or the NWs that wind up getting scooped up in a CS's borders. So the chances of having just 1 NW in your borders isn't good enough to waste time with an entire SP.

I think it would be too situational to have a SP dedicated to NWs. When you play on a standard map with 8 civs, there's usually roughly 8 NWs (that's about 1 per civ). That doesn't take into account if the map has the Great Barrier Reef which counts as 2 NW that are always side by side so they'll likely both fall into one civ's territory. Or Krakatoa which is often out in the middle of the ocean far from any civ's territory. Or the NWs that wind up getting scooped up in a CS's borders. So the chances of having just 1 NW in your borders isn't good enough to waste time with an entire SP.

Good point. But there has to be a better option than a flat gold boost though.

Perhaps a policy that does: Doubles happiness from Natural Wonders you have discovered. Also adds 2 happiness and gold per NW.

That way it is worthwhile, even if in some cases you don't even have a NW but just discovered many in the early game.

Good point. But there has to be a better option than a flat gold boost though.

Perhaps a policy that does: Doubles happiness from Natural Wonders you have discovered. Also adds 2 happiness and gold per NW.

That way it is worthwhile, even if in some cases you don't even have a NW but just discovered many in the early game.

I could see your above policy as an attachment to an already existing Commerce policy (preferably on the left branch).

I don't see anything wrong with adding gold from tourism as Theis81 suggests. Personally, I never find NWs all that exciting nor worth settling next too (except for the DLC NWs). A small boost over time (culture, science, gold, hammers, whatever) would be a nice incentive for me to accumulate them.
Perhaps a city improvement could be built in cities near NWs for a nice little bonus? Examples:

Tourist center - +2 happiness, +3 gold from each NW tiles near city.

National park service - Can only be built when a NW tile is near. +3 beakers from each NW and un-improved tile (except coast and ocean) near city.

Tourist center - +2 happiness, +3 gold from each NW tiles near city.

National park service - Can only be built when a NW tile is near. +3 beakers from each NW and un-improved tile (except coast and ocean) near city.

Those ideas are great. Should unlock at flight and ecology I suppose. I also like rewarding players for un-improved tiles in the late game, though I think science becomes kindof irrelevant then. Perhaps make it 2 science and 1 gold? Also, maybe the tourist center could give some culture as well, to resemble the NW being part of your national culture?

In fact, a UB boosting NW would be really nice as well.

Those ideas are great. Should unlock at flight and ecology I suppose. I also like rewarding players for un-improved tiles in the late game, though I think science becomes kindof irrelevant then. Perhaps make it 2 science and 1 gold? Also, maybe the tourist center could give some culture as well, to resemble the NW being part of your national culture?

In fact, a UB boosting NW would be really nice as well.

Perhaps the National Park building could come earlier in the tech tree. The first National Park was Yellowstone National Park founded in 1872. I'm at work now and I can't remember the exact layout of the tech tree off the top of my head, but it could come somewhere in the Industrial Era (early enough for a science bonus to still matter).

Perhaps the National Park building could come earlier in the tech tree. The first National Park was Yellowstone National Park founded in 1872. I'm at work now and I can't remember the exact layout of the tech tree off the top of my head, but it could come somewhere in the Industrial Era (early enough for a science bonus to still matter).

Biology seems a good choice then.

Biology seems a good choice then.

I agree. Biology matches the beaker bonus nicely.

Flight would be the best match for Tourist Center. The National Park Service shouldn't produce gold IMO. I think the extra science (at Biology) comes at a good time since some areas of the map are not yet claimed and ripe for not improving tiles...which is strange to say. I'm just not to sure of the odds of settling near a NW late game. That's the main problem I see with the NPS. Though, it could be included as a National Wonder which doesen't need a Natural Wonder near the city, just within your borders.

I agree. Biology matches the beaker bonus nicely.

Flight would be the best match for Tourist Center. The National Park Service shouldn't produce gold IMO. I think the extra science (at Biology) comes at a good time since some areas of the map are not yet claimed and ripe for not improving tiles...which is strange to say. I'm just not to sure of the odds of settling near a NW late game. That's the main problem I see with the NPS. Though, it could be included as a National Wonder which doesen't need a Natural Wonder near the city, just within your borders.

Even if you settled near a NW mid or early game the National Park Service will be worthwhile. There's always a few more or less useless unimproved tiles that will be worth working with this bonus.

Top Bottom