NBA 2012/13 thread

Aaaaand the Lakers hire D'Antoni as the new coach. Hopefully the Lakers brass understands that

1) Run 'n gun offenses generally work better with a young team.

2) The concept of 'defense' is foreign to D'Antoni's mind.
They understand that running the Princeton offense when you have Steve Nash is utterly stupid.

Also, there are more defensive statistics than pure PPG, which is a crappy metric to judge by since it doesn't account for pace or how well the other team actually shot.

He'll run that team into the ground. They already have a pretty thin bench. D'Antoni isn't some miracle worker and he's proven to be rather inflexible.

Lakers would've been better off with McMillan.

It all depends on how well the Dwight/Nash pick and roll unfolds. With a shooter like Kobe and an open Metta in the corner benefiting from the help defense required for Pau and Dwight, D'antoni could work pretty well for the Lakers. Dwight is no A'mare in the PnR game and there are certainly reservations when moving Dwight to the high post. D'antoni needs to slow down the 7 seconds or less game. If his knicks tenure tells you anything is that he tries to make pieces that don't necessarily fit his system work. The biggest difference is his faith in Nash to run the show on the floor. Its beyond my comprehension as to why Brown tried to force the Princeton offense on a team with one of the greatest PG's to ever play.

It all depends on the pick n roll game drawing wing defenders towards the paint to free them up. I like the idea of the nash/gasol combo. Gasol's mid range game and passing skills will help find Kobe and Metta on the wings. I like Dwight on the weakside lowpost to clean up rebounds and get easy put backs.

As a Knicks fan I'm not exactly confident in D'antoni to be flexible with his gameplan so this could either turn out to be a very exciting team or a disaster. Still nowhere near as stupid as the princeton offense though.

I'm doubtful the Lakers can outexecute the Spurs, outscore the Thunder, or muster enough defense to beat the Heat.

I'm just wondering how those older legs on the Lakers will like D'Antoni's high-speed offense (especially later in the season)...

I'm just wondering how those older legs on the Lakers will like D'Antoni's high-speed offense (especially later in the season)...
If it worked with Amar'e and Shaq...

If it worked with Amar'e and Shaq...

Those were the big guys... It has always seemed to me that D'Antoni's offense was more taxing on the guards (Nash and Bryant), hence my comment...

I would imagine D'antoni is going to let Nash dictate the pace of play more and hopefully for the lakers sake he won't try to push the 7 seconds or less system.

I don't get a chance to watch American sport except the very occasional NFL match, so I'm left following scores and news reports.

Are the Clippers a threat this year?

I don't get a chance to watch American sport except the very occasional NFL match, so I'm left following scores and news reports.

Are the Clippers a threat this year?
They just had a monster win over the Heat last night and are currently 6-2, good for first place in the Pacific. CP3, Griffin, Caron Butler, and the Clips' three-point shooters have all been hitting on all cylinders. They've been generating a lot of buzz, along with the 5-0 Knicks.

Which one of you guys have hairstyle like A.Bynum's :mischief: :p :lol: .

El J... what say ye? What exactly is wrong with him? :scan:

they're saying bone bruise. passed original physical at time of trade, ie sixers doctors gave green light. press had been hounding team execs, collins for update, something, a timetable at least and reporters were getting stonewalled a bit (according to them). so bynum came out the other night, gave interview to local media, said he's few weeks away from full practice. knee still hurts. concerned it's some type of degenerative disorder but not certain. aquatic and elliptical exercises to commence this week. best case scenario for regular season debut : some time around x-mas or near new year's.

also, and maybe one of the reasons why bynum isn't 'hurrying' back is the fact that ownership is on record as saying that are going to offer him a max contract. and in the nba, that means highest annual avg value. so iow, no reason for bynum to rush back to prove anything in a contract year. makes sense. sorta. please no degenerative.

Still not the best team in the general metropolitan area of New York.

Hey, I'll root for the Nets if/when I want to. I'm practically in the shadow of the Barclays Center

Top Bottom