NC166 Julius Caesar

@Seraiel

Thank you for your extremely generous commentary.

Thanks also for the payback calculation advice. What is a good interest rate anyway for before 1AD?

You're welcome, but what do you mean with "interest rate" ?

Seraiel

I've been playing this here and there for a couple of weeks now, and i just finished with a deity 1060 conquest victory. This was my fastest deity finish by a good bit, and i feel like i could have won prior to 1000 AD had i payed more attention to micro (units in particular) throughout the game.

Spoiler :

Went AG > Hunting > AH > Writing > Alpha early and just settled all of the reasonable spots that i could grab ASAP because i could tell land would be at a premium. Alpha came a little late in 1600 BC, and there were a handful of turns where i was struggling a little without some early techs, but it really payed off when i got it. I settled 5 cities and 1 of them did end up having iron.

I started building praets and went for Hatty who built the Mids just south of me, and was also squeezing me really hard with her creative culture. Once i got the Mids i switched into PS and started cranking out units, and i never really stopped all game. I teched to Construction and added some cats while going after Monty. SB jumped in on me and caused a little bit of trouble, but he only got one of Hatty's cities, and i turned around and took him out after i capped Monty. It was really easy after that as i went through Asoka > Gandhi > Zara. Gandhi could have gotten Rifles, but instead teched Const and Demo then started running culture slider rather than going for GP > Rifling. He had RP for quite a awhile.

Spoiler :

1060 conquest is impressive.

You're sure you don't wanna play for HoF? I believe 1060 AD on standard / normal wohld have gotten you a #1 spot, and you could even play with optimized settings.

I've considered giving it a shot. I think that might encourage me to learn more about other aspects of the game that I've kind of neglected like corps, optimized culture & space wins, and that kind of thing. My personal games tend to be dom and conq.

I've considered giving it a shot. I think that might encourage me to learn more about other aspects of the game that I've kind of neglected like corps, optimized culture & space wins, and that kind of thing. My personal games tend to be dom and conq.
Dom and Conquest are the most fun, but they're also the easiest wins. Space Race are definitely the hardest or 2nd hardest games if playing optimized, 2nd hardest because time games are so extremely exhausting, again, with playing optimized.
Culture wins are alos quite easy and there's lots of space in HoF for improvement. If I'd play Gandhi and only had a little luck, I could score an 11xx finish on a good map. Culture through espionage is much harder, but also more rewarding.
Diplo is difficult like Space Race if optimized. With OOC, it's the easiest and also fastes victory, but with OOC, it's unlikely to get a #1.

I don't consider AP to be a real victory, because it's in a league of it's own when comparing finish dates.

After loosing Boudica nad Pacal map, iam trying to get revenge with JC . 375 BC deity

Spoiler :

tech path
Agr->BW->Wheel->AH->Writing->HBR->Construction

After writing i 1 chop Libary and i started run 2GS to bulb math.
i get some decent trades for HBR witch give me oportunity to chop out Oracle.

I pick currency becouse i didnt want to get broke during war and i sell some of my techs so after all i had construction ealier.

This is my initial stack i think i will attack this turn.

And i got the stuff !!!! yeah xD

Its worth it imo becuse i dont realy need health atm i will be whiping so and i have to have Pretorians xD.

I already wondered why you researches HBR instead of IW, but you simply lacked Iron, right?

Have fun with Praets, they are the better War Elephants and together with Cannons, they even kill Rifles :o .

I went for HBR becouse i had elephants and its a great trade , i didnt want to reserch IW just for discover iron ( i dont know even if would be possibility to settle it becouse i was squizzed allrdy).

And haveing iron in this case, dont give me that much adv, elephants are great allrdy.
Offcourse construction rush with elephants and pretorians is awsome but to be honest i did that trade with asoka just for fun xD.

I traded Hbr for mistycyzm,poli,meditation, monoteizm, priesthood, alpha, iw ( i meen i traded around )and yea i think thats all later i traded currency for calendar and monarchy. I didnt trade math i wanted to keep it for myself.

Praets are better than WEs. They are cheaper can skill CR and they get defensive bonuses. If one attacks really early, like when beelining IW, one often only has to fight Archers. Then, no siege is needed because Praet vs Archer = 97% for the Praet.

Yea Prets are way better then WEs becouse of that CR, in this case nice thing to do is to settle 1st GG and have CR2 prets very early and they are rly powerfull then.
But i dont like rushing Prets on deity i notice that ok i can take AI and have like 9 cities but everythig on deity is so expensive after this kind of rush ( prets like around 2000bc) iam going broke, no money for reserch etc. And when going construction rush, i usually have currancy and at the end i can vassal and took some techs form him/her.
This kind of rush i would consider with Augustus and marble start (failed gold).

@ Seraiel

I show you something

Spoiler :

Iam here now. Thats my land 8 cities and my vassel has 3.

Not bad i have Mids, switched in to rep and cast running Great Scenties.
But look wheres Ghandi.

This guy have allrady natio,PP, at 560ad and hes 1 turn from edu and he is trading with Zara like crazy.

After war with Hatty, Monty declared on me i knew that he will be problem at some point.
AP vote saved me but he will declare on me in a while so i need to take him out. And this is Monty he never capitulate hahah anyway i have to tke him out. I have engi and i will go on him with trebs. But problem is where will be Gandhi after this war xD Infantry xD.

On this map if i would go early prets Monty could be declare on me becouse iam on hes border.

Even if i dont have to take out ghandi and zara still theres 10 cities protective Sitting Bull and Asoka witch isnt in bad shape. Well i dont know maybe cannons xD and prets xD.

@ yyeah:

You must improve your economy. I reach Liberalism between 100 and 300 AD. Gandhi is late with not having it in 5xx AD, he's not far in front, You're hanging back. Maybe, you also need to learn to trade better, good trading is even stronger than a good economy.

960AD

Spoiler :

Iam here atm.

In meentime i had Great Spy i start GA with him , in this GA Great Scentist (Academy in Cap), and Great Merchant has born, at the end of GA i switched civics (Rep,Bur,Slavery,Theo).

I could use that spy to steal something from ghandi but wasnt worth it imo, i was running 2GPs in other cities so that GA speed it up preety nice.

Mony has ~50 unit stack i will upgrade some of this troops and go for him in next 2-3 turns.
Its preety late for engi rush but i had to bulid up my cities and catch up in tech a bit.
Monty isnt close to anything dangerous so i think iam fine

tech race

I forgot to add from here iam going for cannons Hatty is going for rifles.

@ Seraiel

Lib goes 660ad so i would say standard for pangea ( i notice that in like 80% of my games lib goes around 640ad, but they usually dont have Natio and PP thats why i feel like that was fast). But maybe Ghandi is quicker i dont know.

Anyway, yes i have feeling that my trades in mid game are bad i was thinking about it, and i maybe figured out whats the problem... I dont just look is this tech what i get is able to trade with someone else if you know what i meen, and this is huge i think.

1290AD

Spoiler :

Monty capitalate :rockon:

Situation looks preety good, this time i didnt have to take hes allmoust all cities to cap him.

Tech race is allso not bad.

Next i wanted to be Ghandi becouse, that what i was suposing happend Ghandi is going culture.
He dont have rifling yet, he can reserch it very quic ( Military Traditions took him 3 turns), but
i will have rifling and steal as well in ~13 turns.
And when i start to thinking that i got this map something happend ... 3th in score Zara with i belive 9 cities cap to Ghandi and now i have to deal with bouth of them ...
I dont know i think that i just whip like 100 unit stack army and smash them at lest i try.
Iam going to scout them now.
About Sitting Bull well hes goig for Asoka again and now i cant stop him from vassal her. I did it last time but now i dont have tech to do it.
Well we will see, just things arent going to be easier ... deity.

You need more AIs on friendly, so you can trade with them. What's your problem with that? Gift them tech's until +4 , +1 through peace +2 through open borders +2 for trading resources = friendly. It's even easier, when you bribe the civs against your war target. Bribing everybody against Momty shouldn't have be too difficult.

I didnt though about it in this way,
i meen that my trades are bad becouse iam lacking with friendly AIs, :thanx:.
In many cases it is even more simple especially if u have AIs witch favourite civ is HR,
or/and they are rligious nuts. I was doing it but moustly becouse of diferent reasons.

Hi guys! Great to read about your game progress. and Seraiel that was some great feedback you gave.. I see that all the points will greatly increase my play. Thx

My attempt, Diety :D:mad: NHNE:

Spoiler :

I had a go at this map yesterday. I actually started my game with a worker steal from Gandi. In the blind.. hoping for bronce.. or that I could intimidate him for temp peace. Found bronce!! :D So I followed up with an axe rush, that really did not do much beside slow him down a little and I stole 4 workers.

Got my cities going, had 4, got Iron, and went for Hatty. Got 2 cities.. then I was a little low on units, and had a LOW economy.. so I peaced for Alpha. That propelled my tech and 10 turns later I was halfway to economy and ready to attack hatty again.

Got her down to 2 cites.. then zara got dribed in on me.. managed to get peace.. (and stole 3 of his workers! :lol: Now I actually started to delete workes.. because I had so many, and nothing to improve.) Then monty DoW'ed me.. with a stack consisting of a lot of metal units.

Axmen... with combat I + II and shock. 5 of hem + a lot of jaguars and spears. I just had to surrender a hillcity to him.. and hoped to whipe his army out whit my CR I + II + II pret. But no.. that did not work as well as I hoped. Lost 3 consecutive 80 % battles in a row.. and suddenly the whole game was turned around :mad:

Managed eventually to take my city back and kill his army.. and make peace. But all of the sudden I was without army, low eco, and far of in tech.. had 9- 10 cities so might have made a win out of it.. but hmmm... felt I had a really tough situation.

Diety is really a challenge! I will have another go at this map! Or maybe I will go straight for the wang game.. More fun to play games with no map awareness.

Another great NC IMO, keep it up! :)

Won, 1854 a.d., immortal, Domination. Imo, one of the easiest map I have been playing so far, but still great fun.

Top Bottom