Needed: Buildings to reduce Unhappiness from Ideologies?

Atwork

Immortal
Examples:

National Propaganda Ministry--Available w/ Radio; national wonder; must have broadcast tower in every city; 25% less unhappiness associated with pressure from opposing ideologies.

National News Service--Available w/ Satellites; national wonder; requires discovery of Telecommunications; 25% less unhappiness associated with pressure from opposing ideologies.

Allow some possibility of success for go-it-alone states, allowing some rogue states to remain viable and not be completely and hopelessly crippled by unhappiness.

Note: Kim Jung-un remains insanely popular in N. Korea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...pproval-rating-higher-than-Barack-Obamas.html

You could also use courthouses - allowing them to be built in non annexed cities

Or have an ideology choice which gives these benefits to existing broadcast towers.

As far as social policies go, "Isolationist" and "Protectionist" policies should reduce the ill-effects of rival cultural/ideological influences.

As far as the game is concerned, ideological unhappiness and normal unhappiness are no different, so really this is just asking for more happiness buildings that have a more limited affect than a normal happiness building would have.

The ideologies all have tenets which give huge amount of happiness already, Order has +2 happiness from monuments, Autocracy has +2 happiness from soldier training buildings, etc.

You can already build numerous Happiness buildings to counter the Unhappiness. Circuses, Colosseums, Zoos, and Stadiums provide Happiness. So do most religious buildings and a number of wonders.

Honestly, the complaints about ideology Unhappiness are silly. There are so many ways to counter it.

You can already build numerous Happiness buildings to counter the Unhappiness. Circuses, Colosseums, Zoos, and Stadiums provide Happiness. So do most religious buildings and a number of wonders.

Honestly, the complaints about ideology Unhappiness are silly. There are so many ways to counter it.

Exactly.

Or, learn how to deal with ideologies. Nothing to fix here.

I thought about something that made city walls prevent city flipping.

A wonder in civilization revolution worked this way. Culture could not flip your cities (or maybe only the city you built it in) once you had hollywood. I dont agree with negating the happiness bonus but a wonder that would prevent city flipping is a neat idea

ideological unhappiness and normal unhappiness are no different

Uhh, other than the fact that ideological unhappiness is caused by ideological factors while "normal" unhappiness are caused by non-ideological factors. Other than that, uhm, i guess they're the same. :rolleyes:

the complaints about ideology Unhappiness are silly. There are so many ways to counter it.

That is true, except when there isn't a way to counter it. In the game I'm currently playing, 19 of 22 civs all chose Order. I was one who didn't. As the second to choose an ideology, I initially chose Freedom, but when everyone started going Order, well, of course I too had to fall in line. At a certain point, when faced with 40 unhappiness, there's just no way to avoid having to fall in line. Hence my suggestion. I think it is kind of lame that my game has a single universal ideology that all the world is following.

learn how to deal with ideologies

Gotta love pretentious ho-hums. I know how to "deal" with ideologies. I'm playing this game on deity and doing quite well. Offering an idea to avoid a specific situation that I'm dealing with in my current game, which I don't think is particularly fun, is not the same as not knowing how a mechanic works.

I think those buildings are uneccessary to have, Ideology is fine as it is, just built up your Culture, that's all, it's not even your Tourism that is necessary (although it helps to exert your ideologie's pressure on them).

built up your Culture, that's all,

There's only so much you can build it up. At a certain point, it really comes down to how many rivals are amassed against you, in terms of one ideology against another. In a game like I'm playing, when there were 18 Order civs lined up against me and one other Freedom civ, there was nothing to do except change to Order.

What I'm proposing would have possibly allowed me to hold out as a rogue Freedom civ, me against the world. Yeah, I would have had to do things that the other Order civs would not have needed to do, i.e. build up a propaganda ministry and a national news service for example, and yeah I might be hated by the world and be in constant conflict, but that should be something that I can choose to do.

If I wanna be the N. Korea of the world, then BNW should give me the tools to be so, without facing crippling unhappiness, etc. Like the article says in the original post, Dictator Kim Jung-un has a higher favorability rating than President Obama. That could never be the case in BNW.

Uhh, other than the fact that ideological unhappiness is caused by ideological factors while "normal" unhappiness are caused by non-ideological factors. Other than that, uhm, i guess they're the same. :rolleyes:

That is true, except when there isn't a way to counter it. In the game I'm currently playing, 19 of 22 civs all chose Order. I was one who didn't. As the second to choose an ideology, I initially chose Freedom, but when everyone started going Order, well, of course I too had to fall in line. At a certain point, when faced with 40 unhappiness, there's just no way to avoid having to fall in line. Hence my suggestion. I think it is kind of lame that my game has a single universal ideology that all the world is following.

Gotta love pretentious ho-hums. I know how to "deal" with ideologies. I'm playing this game on deity and doing quite well. Offering an idea to avoid a specific situation that I'm dealing with in my current game, which I don't think is particularly fun, is not the same as not knowing how a mechanic works.

"In the game I'm currently playing, 19 of 22 civs all chose Order. I was one who didn't. As the second to choose an ideology, I initially chose Freedom, but when everyone started going Order, well, of course I too had to fall in line"

Dude, are you kidding? In Civ and every other world that's the smart move. Buck the entire world you better be bad bad Leroy Brown.

I can't tell if you were acting sarcastically or not, but yes they are the same. You are just asking for a wonder that gets rid of unhappiness. It doesn't matter WHERE unhappiness comes from, it all affects you the same way. So by saying you want a way to reduce ideology unhappiness, you are just asking for a weaker version of something that provides happiness( since it gets rid of only one type of unhappiness). And really, there is so many ways to get happiness in the game as is.

And to the comment that if everyone else goes Order you have to fall in line. No you don't. If you have the highest tourism guess how much unhappiness and thus need to switch you are getting from everyone else?

ZERO.

Happiness is rarely a problem after ideologies kick in unless you've been completely neglecting your culture.

It's before ideologies where happiness is crippling IMO.

I shudder when I read Hollywood and culture in the same thread.

Back to the topic though, I believe you are better off combating the unhappiness by boosting your culture through such things as broadcast towers.

I can't tell if you were acting sarcastically or not, but yes they are the same. You are just asking for a wonder that gets rid of unhappiness. It doesn't matter WHERE unhappiness comes from, it all affects you the same way. So by saying you want a way to reduce ideology unhappiness, you are just asking for a weaker version of something that provides happiness( since it gets rid of only one type of unhappiness). And really, there is so many ways to get happiness in the game as is.

And to the comment that if everyone else goes Order you have to fall in line. No you don't. If you have the highest tourism guess how much unhappiness and thus need to switch you are getting from everyone else?

ZERO.

I guess he is looking for a way to get away with burning all his artists and writers and still be content.

I guess he is looking for a way to get away with burning all his artists and writers and still be content.

Not at all. And that certainly is not how I play the game. But, my experience is that when you're playing on immortal, or deity especially, the AI starts out with such a head start that you've got to make some difficult choices throughout the early to mid-game.

Since culture and tourism effects are cumulative, I've found that, even though I may be near the top in culture and tourism, I usually don't get there until late in the game. And not from total neglect, or any neglect at all. I play a balanced game and try not to neglect anything.

All I'm saying is that, if I want to be the N. Korea of the world, then there should be some tools available that would allow me to do so....even if it means that I have to build some national wonders to make it happen.

But, I do understand the point. If you are able to accumulate your culture and tourism early enough, and remain the leader, then there's not much to worry about. But, I guess I'm just not a good enough player to be in that position consistently when playing on immortal or deity.

It's hard to win the Ideology war on the hardest difficulty level? I never would have guessed. Anyway, being able to ignore a mechanic is rather powerful, so I'd prefer that such a building would have to be a World Wonder. Either a new one or provide additional bonuses to the Great Firewall.

Top Bottom