NESLife V

@erez, thankyou very much, I really appreciate your comment :D :)

About the fungus, I know- not sure how they would be represented. Haseri's Slimer is quite fungus-like, though... It recycles dead stuff and can exist out of water.

---

@Bonefang, you can only add two genes (or gene levels), not four. And it looks like you added two different types of digestion - I'm confused!

Based on your description, I'd guess you meant to add Digestion x2 [-Plankton speciality]. But bear in mind your creature has no mouth/teeth/ means of chewing or sucking things, and will now sink to the bottom of the sea as it has no swimming or drifting ability ;)

I can only advise to you read the first page again, or check out NESLife3 (in stasis) or TuxLife (ongoing) to get a better feel for how this works.

I think you added too many genes? Remember in Genes added you only write the genes you add and not all of the genes (either 2 or 3 if there is any bonus, 2 in Aranofilium case).

Anytime daft. Your drawings are astounding (I checked on Synonyms.com for a big enough word!) both here and on facebook, and it is sad you give yourself so little credit. I bet theses drawings can be sold for a lot of money. You could probably charge for an evolution game where you draw people's creatures and make loads of money. I know I would pay a dollar per creature, probably more. Especially if it gets you more in the mood to update ;)

Oh i see.
Can i please be allowed to edit ?

i have edited it .. erez lemme know if its fine .. :confused:

i have edited it .. erez lemme know if its fine .. :confused:
Think about it. Does your creature have any ability to move or draw things to eat? Otherwise, why remove the swimming?

Also you only used 1 gene to add (some sort of stomach? I have no clue about its meaning, but if its digestions, it will just be digestion x1 with its special abilities in brackets like [this]). You have another gene to use, maybe if you want to remove swimming had crawling or something?

Chrinodal: North King
Evolved from: Tremulus
Genes added: Swimming x2 [Jet Propulsion +2]
Genes removed: Driftingx1
Description: After some time in the shallows, the little Spirulus started to diversify -- its simplicity proved to be a disadvantage in the long run, as larger and more powerful hunters roamed the seas. One branch, the Chrinodals, grew into a slightly more tightly-wound spiral, and developed the ability to shoot water out the trailing edge of the spiral, traveling very quickly in the opposite direction; coupled with the vibration sense, this allowed it to actively hunt.

OOC: Wow, Oreallie died much better than I expected (really!). And thanks for the ensuring the survival of the Anchorus-Stickorus, erez! Still, more branching shenanigans >long, thin, bare limbs

Stellacula: Sonereal
Passive hunter
Swarming
*Genetic Drift: +1 Gene bonus for evolving from this species*
Evolved from: Stellaculus
Genes: Piercing Spike x1, Digestion x2, Drifting x2
Description: Stellacula has evolved for better drifting capability at turns and more effective digestion, with the drive behind this evolution being if Stellaculus did fine with lesser digestion and mad drifting skills, then Stellacula should do doubleplusfine.

becomes

Astercula: Terrance888
Evolved from: Stellacula
Genes added: Piercing Spike [barbed], Digestion [Plant eating], Drifting [Suction], Chemical Sensing x1, Mass Reproduction x1, Colonial [x1]
Description: Herbavoric colonial drifters and flash swarmers
Their Piercing Spike developed with small retractable barbs, which let them hang onto plant matter they are colonizing. Their drifting developed especially to utilize the flow of other creatures (like Remoras) allowing them to time and use jumps to greatly increase their range with some randomness and little energy. Chemical sensing allows them to be colonial, gathering to stab into and eat the densest plant matter around-this frenzied activity leads to great reproductive capabilities, leading swarms to grow larger and larger until all the nearby food is devoured. Then, they begun to drift away, shut down their excess systems, waiting until the next bounty is found and the next call for a feeding frenzy reaches their sensitive sensors.

It would be cool if one of them barbed onto a Pioneer and survived to reproduce in a previously pristine lake. :evil:

EDIT: Fungi
Genes: Spores, Colonial, Digestion-Dead Things, Roots-Threadlike

EDITEDIT: I get to adjust 1 specialty PER gene type PER update, right? Or just 1 specialty PER update.

Hmm, that's two jet-propelling descendants of the Spirulus... cool. :D I suppose we could imagine that they developed this new propulsion method before they split apart into two different lineages.

People, read the post after the update and change your evolution according to daft's request.

Incaesor: Randomness
Evolved from: Ardens Worm
Genes added: Smell Sense X1, Crawling X1
Description: The deep sea vents lacked predators, so it was only a matter of time before some creature filled the niche. The Incaesor devolped crude sensory organs to locate prey in the dark depths of its home and strenghtend its tentacles to become more mobile. Once it captured it's prey, it fed much like its ancestor; diging its tentacles into the flesh, disolving it, and sucking it up for it bacterial food source to digest.

Note: I am not sure if I need to evolve my bacterial digestion to specialize in meat. If I do, I will edit it.

Thanks again, I'm cool with the evolutions posted so far, except @bonefang (still just one gene added? and I warned you about the lack of swimming / drifting!).

----

IT CAME FROM THE DEEP

Methanovermis: ChiefDesigner
Volcanic vent dweller
Thriving
Evolved from: Soleneidea subterra
Genes: Digestion x3 [Bacteria+2], Pressure Resistance x1, Heat Resistance x1, Burrowing x1, Jaws x1
Description: The characteristic shutter jaw of the methanoverms evolved in part from the tapered end seen in soleneidea subterra. Opening and closing like a camera shutter, this jaw allowed the methanoverm to more efficiently tunnel through sediment, as well as to contain methane-rich water in its first body segment.

Chalivermis: Daftpanzer
Evolved from: Methanovermis
Genes added: Jaws x1, Scales x1
Genes removed: Pressure Resistance, Heat Resistance, Digestion speciality -1
Description: some Methanoverms made the crossover from volcanic vents occuring in shallower waters. Chalivermis has evolved more powerful jaws, and mineralised body plates that allow it to rough-and-tumble with Petrosian fauna in the shallows. While primarily a scavenger, happy to blindly nibble on bacteria, its powerful jaws allow it to experiment with other food sources.

Tambenus: Tambien
Evolved from: Exo-Algae
Genes added: Water Retention x3, Photosynthesis x2
Description: The roots of the Exo-Algae did not evolve during this era, but a distinct new species emerged from the successful creature. A more non-porous cell wall allowed for better water retention, while increased chlorophyll in the cells allowed for more energy reserve. Both of these elements combined to create a new species that could stay further out of the water, longer.

Creeposilvaetus: Algeroth
Evolved from: Neosilvaetus
Genes added: Cell walls x1, Tendrils x1
Description: What begun as an thicking adaptation of Neosilvaetus to protect it prom predators led to branching out new species. Creeposilvaetus started to grow some of its auxiliary branches at floor of sea to better anchor them from weather. Eventually some of the branches reached shore where they were well suited for intertidal zone, thier thickier cell walls enabling them tu withstand harsher conditions and their tendrils enabling them to gain nutrients from substrate. Some of the branches continued to creep above littoral zone, growing near the ground protecting them from cold wind, water and nutrients gained from the rest of the colony but these branches died as soon as they were separated from the "main" plant, restricting their spread into landmass to wetlands and sporadic places with enough seasonal puddles enabling them reach inland water sources.

(Sorry for the horrible english, I'm pretty much brain-dead today.)

Spiffus: Immaculate
Evolved from: Pioneer
Genes added: Dormancy, Water Retention (x1)
Description: Many pioneer were blown into relatively inhospitable regions where they would desiccate, burn or freeze and ultimately die. Some of the lineage, which would become Spiffus, would however assume a dormant, inactive state and await new rainfall, the passing of extreme heat or cold or whatever was preventing active growth, then reactive. The inactive spore-like 'dormant' state possesses much reduce water volume and very limited basal chemistry favoring stability over other parameters. These Spifffus were also able to spread to drier areas as they were better able to extract moisture from the atmosphere and retain it efficiently.

Ultimately the Spiffus grew to survive regions with seasonal fluctuations in temperature or rainfall that would kill its forefathers, returning to dormancy during unfavorable seasons and reawakening to colonize and spread during favorable seasons.

It continues to spread as did its ancestor, floating on the winds during favorable weather.

Spoiler from :

Pioneer: filli_noctus
Coastal Algaeform
Thriving
Evolved from: Frother
Genes: Photosynthesis x2, Drifting x1, Water Retention x2, Buoyancy x1, Aerofoil x1
Description: this interesting evolution of the Frother has developed an aerodynamic body shape that allows it to briefly take to the sky in high wind. Of course the majority would land in inhospitable regions and quickly perish but a few landed in habitable bodies of water where they could begin breeding away from the seas.

DAFT:
In view of what you later wrote about having too many ranks of water retention:
if that is the case (not sure what an increment is worth to be honest- rank 3 doesn't seem like much but if its all you need to live in a desert obviously i am mixed up), then please add the second point to 'quorum sensing' so that areas with thick mats of this and limited nutrition are more likely to send off aerial colonies and areas with low concentrations and sufficient nutrition are more likely to try and establish themselves more firmly.

This kinda bugged me. Most of our plant life is so primitive that it should withstand cold (not freezing), hot and dry environments even without special adaptation. But game design and balance, I suppose.

You need a degree of biochemical adaptation in order to be able to effectively survive in cold conditions, otherwise your cellular processes may not be able to take place at the right rates, and your membranes will be too solid. The same goes in reverse for very hot environments, and while many single celled plants can survive temporary dessication and recover, having adaptations to survive sustained dessication would be necessary for anything that wants to last out of water while maintaining biological activity.

This kinda bugged me. Most of our plant life is so primitive that it should withstand cold (not freezing), hot and dry environments even without special adaptation. But game design and balance, I suppose.

they likely do. but they don't thrive in the regions and have to expend a lot more effort just to survive. even a small adaptation to a region will give them a huge advantage over those not adapted.

Top Bottom