NEW 10 min Palette Method for units

polyphemus

join the long blue line
So i know that this is an unnecessary thread, but i feel that this might help a lot of unit makers by posting it here because hardly anyone posts in the tutorial subforum anymore...but I posted a new tutorial complete with videos and pictures on how to create a civ palette WITHOUT pEdit and with a different and much easier program that once mastered (its very easy to master) will allow you to make palettes in less than 10 min...all free too...so come check it out!!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9399366#post9399366

I have recently used with a lot of success a new method helping Plotinus to make new units (this part is secret, I can't tell you more)

Spoiler :
HNow, you are curious aren't you?

1- Have a look at the storyboard.
2- Identify an existing unit which has similar colour
3- Open the similar unit FLC, preferably the death animation (I do it with a simple double click on it to export with Civ3FLC
4- Open the exported storyboard with PSP, and save the palette.
5- Apply the palette to the new unit.

You may get slightly different colours, but experience shows it is hardly noticable in the final result.

If you have a good database of existing units (Sandris units are a good start as they are quite colorful), you can easily find an acceptable palette to suit 95% of your needs.

So far, I've been able to use this for the 50 new units made by Plotinus, getting the FLC very quickly from his true colour storyboard.

Spoiler :
50 new units??? What the hell are Plotinus and Steph doing?

Spoiler :
You'd really like to know, wouldn't you?

Of course, step 4-5 could be modify, using directly the exported palette that goes with the storyboard. I use it this way just because the save is always done on the same file and it suits my general working metholodogy.

well this works when you have tons of units already :p like whoa......50 plus units...... :p
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I believe those who make the Units, after all of the work involved, find it preferable to make a specific unit palette that fits the unit rather than going for a quick, easy application of some other unit palette that one could get by with.

...because the Unit Colors are limited to 160 colors with in the Unit Palette, it is generally better to have the Colors that are needed included in the 160 colors or there is a good chance the textures will be lost into Blotches of color.

Making a Good Unit Palette really does not require much time and certainly no more time than the New Unit deserves :)

It depends what units you are making. If you make something similar, this method can be very useful.

Imagine for Napoleonic wars, you have a French rifleman.

And you want to add a French grenadier and French guard

Steph... Yes, if the Units use the same Colors, that could suffice and especially if the units do not use textures but rather mostly plain coloring.

If the only things changed are the Shapes of the Apparel, the same palette would work perfectly because the units would use the same colors.

well that works if you already have tons of unit palettes to choose from. And most people dont make multiple versions of the same base unit :p but yes, i see your point. My new method, is for those that rather make custom unique palettes which at one time took a lot of my time, and made me give up (3 yrs ago) but now that no longer really a factor in unit making for me so i just decided to share this new method with all that might be able to use it

maybe i dont really understand what you mean by "joining" but i guess you could already have a bunch of pre-palettes with the civ color and shadows already saved then just modified the body....but i dont think PSP (which is what i use) allows you to modify only certain indexes...and merging the palettes is only a couple of simple steps and when i do it........it makes me feel in control..............like..............finally im in control of my palette.....................FINALLY! lol

Steph... Yes, if the Units use the same Colors, that could suffice and especially if the units do not use textures but rather mostly plain coloring.

If the only things changed are the Shapes of the Apparel, the same palette would work perfectly because the units would use the same colors.
Obviously,my method will not work for a completly new and original unit, but it's very useful when you want to make a pack of similar units as Sandris made.

yeah it is too big a file....and thunderfall still hasnt gotten back to me yet on ftp access......too big cuz i have tutorial vids and pictures......so i asked him if i could just split up the file, part one with just the docs and part two with the vids.....still hasnt gotten back to me.....

Vuldacon....I dont think you need to be a member......i just signed out and was still able to download it.......

Make sure you click "Click here to start downloading" it next to an add so maybe thats throwing you off...and it should work fine....

and it says 8 people have been able to download so far....

I Looked over the Tutorial and I believe the White you are using to replace the Background color, Civ Specific colors, Shadows and Smoke colors will change the essence of the Unit Colors.
Use Black 000, 000, 000 and compare.

The reason is that the Over All illumination causes the program to alter the resulting colors.

I use Paint Shop Pro too and find Black to be best to replace unwanted colors when making a palette.

Maybe it's my settings but in poser 7 the background render color doesn't affect illumination, I think it's just preference

Top Bottom