New Compromise on Guns N' Games

Why don't they just form a generic "moralizing busybodies & security moms" party. We can have prayer in schools, creation science, overzealous anti-bullying legislation, censor both violence AND nudity, and just generally let 40+ year old women and guys in sweater vests rule the country with an iron fist of propriety.

Admittedly, I'd rather be dead than bored, so I may not be a good individual to run a society :mischief:

Yeah, what's going to happen is another incident in a couple years and them going after another boogeyman instead of after the actual problem. Which is admittedly very complex and hard to solve, but when I'm faced with a hard math problem I don't eat a pie and say that the problem is solved.

Far beyond anything else, as AlpsStranger points out, we have far too entrenched a subculture of perpetually-outraged moral guardians in the United States who feel that it's necessary to ban or otherwise curtail anything ever that might offend, shock or disturb. Being American is about insisting on feeling safe at the cost of actually being safe. Taking measures to ban or curtail things that result in actual violence (I don't know, guns), instead of cheap and easy boogeymen like those electronic gizmos that soccer moms and the elderly feel vaguely uneasy about, would require things like commitment, vision and conviction.

In America, we don't have those things.

Top Bottom