New Exploit?

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
The Mad Scientists may have stumbled upon a new exploit. An event popped up at the beginning of the turn. The turnplayer cancelled out of the game to get feedback from the team before continuing (pay the gold to keep the improvement, or let the improvement be destroyed). It was decided to let the improvement be destroyed - but when he finished playing the turn, the event dialogue was gone.

We expected to lose the improvement. But we didn't - nor did we lose the gold :confused:

Ginger_Ale has been notified.

nm, I already know the answer...

Better question: if the events will be erased in this way, then does this force a team to stay logged into the game while they make a decision about the event? Otherwise a reload will be required to bring the event back up, right?

While that might be the fairest solution, I don't think it's really feasible. What if a casual player just logs in to see how the game is going, should he have to keep civ running? That might not always be possible.

What interesting is how did he cancel out of the game?

You can't click the menu when the event is up. There is no way to do it.

If it is a city improvement you can examine the city. But when you go back out of the city, you have to chose an option to properly exit the game.

So he would of had to ALT-TAB out of the game then kill his game...But if he did it might of messed up the server. (edit: Fyi in this case server is still up)

So in this case an improper exit of the game would of had of been used.

I know this is not entirely ontopic, but my civ crashes when I alt+tab, so if I at some point play a turn and encounter an event, I have possibility of talking with my team except on another computer while keeping the game running. I don't know if others have this buglike annoyance, but I (obviously) think we should keep the possiblity of this in mind when deciding on the rules for this course of events.

Well there is 3 paths I can see:

1. The first log in of the turn should be done by the turn plyaer and thus must "end" their turn.
==>I am not neccesarily for this as there can be instances that require team feedback (i.e. contact, counter offer to a trade, etc.), but that said we do have turn players for a reason, to make a judgement call based on the feeling of the team. No matter how much you plan life throws unexpected (excuse the pun) random events at us and we have to adapt.

2. We agree that there are no negatives events. As such if one pops up the player forces the game to quit, and then can log in without it.
==>This is the only way to ensure equality

3. We keep Random events and require a reload everytime one fires.
(Even positive ones have choices)

I would second Memphus; I would like to know how the game was exited at all.

1. But The People demand democracy!

2. But we chose Random events for a reason!

3. But the people demand prompt play! (Actually, no, people don't seem to care much about prompt play around here...I'm taking bets that this is the one the admins chose...)

3, but only if the group disagrees with the player's initial decision. The player should try to guess what his team would want, so things can go by more quickly if he guesses right. If not, then they can reload.

3, but only if the group disagrees with the player's initial decision. The player should try to guess what his team would want, so things can go by more quickly if he guesses right. If not, then they can reload.

Well, if it's a chance-event, then the people would have more information (about the random seed) than the turnplayer.

Anything but #2 gets impossible to enforce equally.

Example #3 player Y logs in. Sees negative random event. Alt-Tab, kills game, no one is ever the wiser, as players are always logging in to "have a look around". This is dishonest yes, but still no way on preventing an individual from doing it.

Yeah, stuff like the herbalist event you can't reload. If the turn player chooses to play it safe the team could complain and ask for a reload to take the chancy option, but if the turnplayer chose to take a chance the team could ask for a reload if it went wrong.

I have to correct the 1. post about the procedure
1. the event approached at the end of turn, after enter, not at the begin.
2. I cancelled because I 've no time left to play (night-time) and nobody of the team (so I could see) was online, this can be happen again.

btw
I don't think, that you can make a reload, if the turn-player take the wrong decision.

MS's turn is over then and Kazakhstan is up? How did you cancel?

I explained it wrong, because I misunderstood the order of posts in our team's forum. Let's see if I can explain it better:

HUSch was playing the turn 1560bc. After pressing enter, the new turn started, and he saw that we have an event. He 'cancelled' the game, and exited BtS. The next time he opened the game, it was 1520bc, and we still have both the improvement that was threatened, as well as the gold.

HUSch - is this accurate?

I don't understand 1560 BC, heh. Do you mean by that Turn 61? And again, what do you mean by cancelled?

That sounds like a reload wouldn't fix the problem...the event will disappear whatever you do.

So, let's see if I have this right; MS played t61, ended turn, the event appeared, Husch left the game via Esc->leave to main menu, reentered the game when it was MS' turn, and the event had not acted, ie disappeared?

So he would of had to ALT-TAB out of the game then kill his game...But if he did it might of messed up the server. (edit: Fyi in this case server is still up)

So in this case an improper exit of the game would of had of been used.

I play often so that I go out and look for directions about the turn.
Sometimes I lost the connection, there is no danger for the server/host.

For the civstats there is no difference, why you lost the connection.
What you don't have to do is end the game to desk.

Top Bottom