New First Look Video: Builders

If a resource pops up under and existing district, the district connects the resource. It is assumed the same for Wonders.

Thank you for the quick answer. So they will work as mine or plantation or similar. But proably will loose the hammers or food. We will se it later probably

I don't think the swords are smaller, the shot is just zoomed out and you see them more edge-on. Also, they seem to have acquired a metallic sheen along with the shield. They've definitely done an art pass since the initial screenshots.

The shadows look about the same size and shape.

On time stamp 0:22 of the video, the military district not only has a stable instead of the barracks, but also seems to have a shooting range for archers (never think I saw that building before). Could it be that it's a ranged-unit specific building, or is it just something aesthetic?
That is the second building, it's also visible in another shot we got with Barracks and military academy. The current theory is that it's the armory.

The only advantages I see with building a coastal city are...

Getting a Navy up and running before teching harbors
I think, there's still ample reason to build coastal.

Yeah. Sounded like you'll really need to build a coastal city to tech into Sailing and be able to build that harbor in the first place. From what we've been told, it's a waste of time to try and tech Sailing without that "Eureka!"

I think Spain should be a golden yellow. I'm surprised they only ever did that in colonization. Russia this time should be a dark green instead.

I hope its a darker red with just a hint of purple. Also, the English red is too dark for that civ. They should have more of a madder red. Either way, it looks like not many civs will have red as their primary if they're giving the Barbarians a similar colour scheme to BNW Poland.

Barbarians always looked like Poland; it's very confusing when starting near Poland in Civ5. :p

I'm interested to see how instant build feature of builders plays out. So far its the most intriguing new aspect of C6.

In previous games, planning out my workers build preference based on turn times and what my city or empire needed more immediately was always one of my favorite parts of the entire game. Because of this I just have the feeling civ 6's builders are just going to be much less strategic. But being optimistic though, I hope the time it takes to build a worker and maybe a city growth factor when constructing a worker make up for the ease of improving tiles. I most look forward to our first *highly competent* player video guide.

I don't see much negatives yet compared to the mid to late game when I would always end up with a mass of workers sitting around waiting to build railroads, then just be deleted.

Thebes seems to be the most logical capital. Giza didn't exist back in ancient times and Swenett is modern day Aswan. I dislike this inconsistency, either use only modern names or original names but don't use them both mixed up.

Well, I assume you could still give custom names for cities. It may be just developers' joke to show new Egypt capital name each time. Likely we'll see a correct one in Egypt video.

I'm interested to see how instant build feature of builders plays out. So far its the most intriguing new aspect of C6.

I think one interesting thing will be the pillaging of improvements and districts, and the later game bomber fleets bombing them to bits.

Then we need to use builders to fix them up, and it will take their "build uses" so it's more costly as we can't use the same builders over and over again.

Should I fix that industrial district or those burning farmlands? Where will I concentrate my anti air defence? etc.

Yeah. Sounded like you'll really need to build a coastal city to tech into Sailing and be able to build that harbor in the first place. From what we've been told, it's a waste of time to try and tech Sailing without that "Eureka!"
Seriously? We're talking one eureka - that'll be what? Saving maybe 5, probably at most 10, turns of research? There's no way that alone will be worth the cost of having a poor city which will lack tiles for districts and improvements and which might even be more vulnerable to attacks. Sure, you might want to have one early coastal city to have an early navy (although, what's the point, if everybody else just settles inland?), but I really hope there will be some other advantages to settling coastal, because while there might be few coastal capitals [I do live in one btw.], historically coastal cities have been a big thing.

Does anyone else think China's 4 charge builders is a pretty big advantage? Improving the land and gaining resources is the key to growing any city and getting an extra build from each unit seems like a really nice boost.

Does anyone else think China's 4 charge builders is a pretty big advantage? Improving the land and gaining resources is the key to growing any city and getting an extra build from each unit seems like a really nice boost.

Yes, I think it is a great advantage, especially with the rush wonder ability too. And the more workers you have, the bigger the advantage. If you have 4-5 workers, that's an extra 4-5 free tile improvements, enough to jump start an extra city. It also means that you can rush wonders and still have the 3 charges that everyone else has. China will most likely be the best civ for improving the land quickly.

In Civ4 India had Fast Worker unique unit. It wasn't that strong.

China ability is cool and fun, but it's likely to be balanced with how cool other civs are :)

Yes, I think it is a great advantage, especially with the rush wonder ability too. And the more workers you have, the bigger the advantage. If you have 4-5 workers, that's an extra 4-5 free tile improvements, enough to jump start an extra city. It also means that you can rush wonders and still have the 3 charges that everyone else has. China will most likely be the best civ for improving the land quickly.

Also, if you rush pyramids. Then you suddenly get 5 charge on each builder. Making 2 chinese builders equivalent to 3+ regular ones.

Insane early UA imo. Thank god china wont always have desert in its backyard

In previous games, planning out my workers build preference based on turn times and what my city or empire needed more immediately was always one of my favorite parts of the entire game. Because of this I just have the feeling civ 6's builders are just going to be much less strategic. But being optimistic though, I hope the time it takes to build a worker and maybe a city growth factor when constructing a worker make up for the ease of improving tiles. I most look forward to our first *highly competent* player video guide.

I don't see much negatives yet compared to the mid to late game when I would always end up with a mass of workers sitting around waiting to build railroads, then just be deleted.

I tend to think it's gonna be the opposite. yes at first in CiV there was a real use planning your 5/6 first improvement. And even then, they were usually obvious. After that, it was mostly spamming farms, building roads, mines. etc.. Past T80, prioritizing worker force was really underwhelming in that there wasnt any real bad choice. Just fill the blanks and you're good.

With the limited charges. Well, prioritizing seems to becom a lot more relevant. The first 3 improvement from your worker will still be as important as before even though they will be instantly built. But they will be even more as you will then have to consider prioritizing another batch of 3 tile improvements vs say a granary. And this will be true over the course of the game. Which makes me think that i hope builders hammer cost will somewhat scale throughout the game otherwise this "improving tile or building armies or buildings" decision will quickly be irrelevant if you can do builders in one turn in most cities.

Would it make sense for you guys if building worker took a definite amount of turn for the entire game instead of being hammer based? Maybe with policies or wonders reducing that amount ?

Seriously? We're talking one eureka - that'll be what? Saving maybe 5, probably at most 10, turns of research? There's no way that alone will be worth the cost of having a poor city which will lack tiles for districts and improvements and which might even be more vulnerable to attacks. Sure, you might want to have one early coastal city to have an early navy (although, what's the point, if everybody else just settles inland?), but I really hope there will be some other advantages to settling coastal, because while there might be few coastal capitals [I do live in one btw.], historically coastal cities have been a big thing.

Actually, should be at least two eurekas, maybe more. Only one eureka needs you to found a coastal city, but don't seems that is the tech that gives the harbor. And that tech, and maybe a few others before it, are likely to need naval related actions (like building ships, etc). But the only way to do that before getting the tech needed for building the harbor district is with a coastal city.

In Civ4 India had Fast Worker unique unit. It wasn't that strong.

China ability is cool and fun, but it's likely to be balanced with how cool other civs are :)

An extra move on a Worker simply isn't that good. It lets you save a turn here or there on chops and mining a Hill. It's not going to dramatically cut into how many Workers you need across you're entire empire.

Here, China's basically getting what looks to be a free 13 :c5production: every time they burp out a Builder, and that matters a lot in the early game. It means that they're going to bring tiles online faster and probably be able to skip an early game Builder from the capital, freeing it up to build something else. It's not a production bonus on the order of that of say, Yang in SMAC, but it'll meaningfully accelerate China's early game.

Basically, the ability creates a good UU rather than a sub-par one because of the changes to the Worker/Builder mechanics.

An extra move on a Worker simply isn't that good. It lets you save a turn here or there on chops and mining a Hill. It's not going to dramatically cut into how many Workers you need across you're entire empire.

Here, China's basically getting what looks to be a free 13 :c5production: every time they burp out a Builder, and that matters a lot in the early game. It means that they're going to bring tiles online faster and probably be able to skip an early game Builder from the capital, freeing it up to build something else. It's not a production bonus on the order of that of say, Yang in SMAC, but it'll meaningfully accelerate China's early game.

Basically, the ability creates a good UU rather than a sub-par one because of the changes to the Worker/Builder mechanics.

IF stealing workers is still optimal, it won't help at all.

Top Bottom