• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

New Installer (I need testers)

Kael

Deity
I tried to script a custom installer that will detect the correct location to install FfH. I wrapped the Assimilation mod with it. If you guys could download and install assimilation it should:

1. Install Assimilation in the correct locations.
2. Place a shortcut on your desktop that runs Assimilation.

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9911

I especially need people to try it with unusual install options (Steam, BtS installed on your D drive, foreign installs, Civ4 complete installs, etc).

Thanks guys, let me know if it works for you. If it does I can start adding some prereq checks to the installer so we can pop an error and warn players who don't have bts 3.17 and such installed and try to avoid those initial errors that stop a lot of people from trying the mod.

It picked the correct location for me, using a copy of BTS through steam that had originally been installed on C: and then manually dragged over a few months ago. (I moved the entire Steam folder) This was on Windows XP, with no other civ products installed.

EDIT:

I just noticed the desktop shortcut - that doesn't work for me. "Mods\Assimilation \ is an invalid mod directory"

The shortcut generated:
Code:
"D:\games\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Assimilation

With extra quotes around \Assimilation it works fine:
Code:
"D:\games\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="\Assimilation"

I *think* this is a Steam specific issue, something to do with the way it passes parameters around to Steam to start the actual game.

It seems to work perfectly for me. The installer asked for the mods directory normally. I didn't actually start a game, but I got to the opening menu without any trouble. I'm running Vista, with a regular install of Civ4 and BTS.

I just tried it with Civ installed on a hard drive F in the gold directory and it worked just fine. Great work, been hoping for this sine it is a bit of a pain to navigate to my stragnge install location each time.

Cool, worked just as you wanted it to, it correctly detected that I had civ installed on my D drive.

BTW, could you include assimilation as a game option in ffh?

What is this assimilation mod?

ANyways, the installer always worked fine for me, prob because I simply installed in the default directory.

cool. I just checked it out though and it sounds like a cool addition to FFH2. Might not work themeatically in some ways, but it's sort of like the culture is still around, but the civilization is dead.

Kael, is it possible for you to enable Vista's UAC bypasses (the File Security Settings) with the installer? I would doubt it as that is a HUGE security hole waiting to be exploited... but would be nice if Vista folks didn't have to jump through hoops for simple editing of XML, or do the silly right-click & Run as Administrator for launching the desktop shortcut.

Though not having installed my own copy of Vista yet I cannot say if you already bypassed that last issue...

Kael, is it possible for you to enable Vista's UAC bypasses (the File Security Settings) with the installer? I would doubt it as that is a HUGE security hole waiting to be exploited... but would be nice if Vista folks didn't have to jump through hoops for simple editing of XML, or do the silly right-click & Run as Administrator for launching the desktop shortcut.

Though not having installed my own copy of Vista yet I cannot say if you already bypassed that last issue...

I tried to resolve that with the installer by having it request admin rights, but I dont know if it will work or not.

I have an unusual install directory for Civ and it chose the correct install location and worked perfectly.

A form of assimilation will be included in the next release.

Nice! I haven't tried the assimilation mod, but I did see the thread and it sounds really interesting. Looking forward to trying it out in the next version of FfH.

I have Complete Civ IV installed and it throws in a sub-directory or two which caused a few dumb installation problems on my part in the past.

I didn't think this worked at first, but taking a second look at it, it is fine. :)

Works superbly (have bts in different drive and different pathname).

The shortcut doesn't work for me. i have a Steam copy of Civ4 + BTS.

When I launch the shortcut I get "Mod error" message that reads: "Mods\Assimilation \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring" Note the space at the end of Assimilation.

works for me:

german win xp insallation
no steam
civ4+warlords+bts (german install - en lang)

game path: D:\Spiele\Strategie\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

shortcut works ("D:\Spiele\Strategie\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Assimilation) :goodjob:

It correctly detected the install path. It created the shortcut on my desktop. I tested the shortcut and an error message (Windows box titled Mod Error) came up: "Mods\Assimiliation \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring." Then BTS loads up. The shortcut correctly loaded steam as well.

Install: Steam (CIV IV and BTS) on C drive.

Let me know if you need more info by PM. I'm also going to test this on an XP system steam installed on D drive later this week. I'll let you know how that turns out as well.

Great idea Kael, this will make it so much easier to infect FFH people with once the bugs are ironed out. :lol:

The shortcut doesn't work for me. i have a Steam copy of Civ4 + BTS.

When I launch the shortcut I get "Mod error" message that reads: "Mods\Assimilation \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring" Note the space at the end of Assimilation.

I just updated my earlier post (first reply in thread) since I noticed I had this problem too.

works fine.
using win2k, civ 4 + bts on d: drive. started installer from desktop.

Top Bottom